Shri Guru Gobind Singhji Institute of Engineering and Technology
|SGGS College of Engineering|
|Motto||Education of Human Power for Technological Excellence|
|Chairman||Padmabhushan Shri Baba Kalyani|
|Director||Dr. L. M. Waghmare|
|Undergraduates||590+150(DSE) Annual Intake|
|Location||Vishnupuri, Nanded, Maharashtra, India|
|Campus||Urban, 18.62 hectare (46 acres)|
Shri Guru Gobind Singhji Institute of Engineering and Technology (SGGSIE&T) at Nanded is an autonomous institute set up and entirely funded by the Government of Maharashtra. The institute is approved by the All India Council for Technical Education, Government of India. The institute is entirely autonomous - academically, financially and administratively - and is one of the five such institutes in Maharashtra.
The institute is located at a campus of over 18.62 hectares. The land for the institute was donated by Sant Baba Harnam Singh Langer Sahib Gurudwara trust, Nanded. The Institute is named after the tenth Sikh guru, Gobind Singh.  The institute is affiliated to Swami Ramanand Teerth Marathwada University, Nanded, It started with two under-graduate courses in 1981. The institute currently offers under-graduate, post-graduate and doctoral courses in science, engineering and technology.
The project was approved by the AICTE on 17th December 1981. The institute was registered under the Society's Act, 1960, and was fully funded by the Government of Maharashtra.
The Sant Shri Baba Harnamji trust donated a 46 acres land for the institute. Hence the institute was named after the 10th Sikh Guru, Shri Guru Gobind Singhji. The Governing Board, with the Director of Technical Education at its helm, overlooked the completion of the project. In 1983 Prof. B.M. Naik was appointed as the first full-time director.
In 2004, a committee headed by Dr. F.C. Kholi conducted a survey which identified three engineering colleges with potential for excellence. SGGSIE&T was one of the three selected institutes. The Government of Maharashtra took the initiative of granting autonomous status to these engineering colleges under its TEQIP program.
The SGGS Institute of Engineering and technology is one of the selected few engineering colleges to be offered total autonomy- academic, financial and administrative. In the Eligibility Criterion of NPIU, Institute secured 59 Marks out of 63 and is selected under TEQIP for assistance and provided stiff competition to other institutes.
Mr. B.N. Kalyani, an eminent industrialist, heading the Kalyani Group of Companies, has been nominated by the Government of Maharashtra as Chairman of the Governing Board. The Government has also appointed renowned personalities form business and industry, academics and its senior administrative cadre on the Governing Board. The Institute will continue to receive block grants from the Government of Maharashtra, from time to time. The SGGS Institute of Engineering and Technology enjoys a sprawling campus of over 46 acres, donated by Sant Baba Harnam Singh Langer sahib Gurudwara trust and is affiliated to Swami Ramanand Teerth Marathwada University, Nanded.
The institute is an autonomous institute and has been approved by th All India Council for Technical Education (AIICTE). In 2011 it had a first year intake capacity of 575 for its under-graduate courses which included 105 seats under AICTE's tuition fee waiver scheme.
The institute offers both undergraduate and postgraduate programmes.
*Undergraduate Courses - B.Tech
List of engineering disciplines
- Civil Engineering**
- Chemical Engineering
- Computer Science & Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Electronics & Telecommunication Engineering
- Instrumentation Engineering
- Information Technology
- Mechanical Engineering
- Production Engineering
- Textile Technology
(Formerly - Civil and Water Management Engineering. Changed to Civil Engineering from academic year 2015.)
*Postgraduate Courses - M.Tech and PhD
The institute grants a Masters of Technology degree and PhD in the following engineering disciplines
- Civil Engineering (Water Management)
- Structural Engineering (Unaided)
- Electronics Engineering
- Electronics (Embedded System and VLSI Design) (Unaided)
- Instrumentation Engineering
- Mechanical (CAD/CAM ) (Unaided)
- Mechanical - Product Life Cycle Management (Unaided)
- Computer Network and Information Security (Unaided)
- Information Technology (Unaided)
Admission to under-graduate courses
Although in 2011 admission to under-graduate courses to the institute was conducted on-line along with 309 other engineering colleges of Maharashtra, with an intake of 114000 seats, the institute has a separate merit list which includes the other four autonomous colleges of Maharashtra.
The institute is one of the five institutes in Maharashtra State which have been granted total autonomy – academic, financial and administrative. The chairman is Baba Kalyani, chairman of Bharat Forge Ltd.. The Present Director of the institute is Mr.Dr.L.M.Waghmare.
The institute is spread over 18.62 hectare.
Technical and Cultural events
Pragyaa is the national level technical festival of this college. It was started in 2005.
The college has its own rock band that plays its own compositions in this festival.
Other Government Engineering Colleges (GEC's) in Maharashtra
- College of Engineering, Pune
- Government College of Engineering, Amravati
- Government College of Engineering, Aurangabad
- Government College Of Engineering, Chandrapur
- Government College of Engineering, Jalgaon
- Government College of Engineering, Karad
- Veermata Jijabai Technological Institute, Mumbai
- "History". Shri Guru Gobind Singhji Institute of Engineering and Technology. 2009-01-29. Retrieved 2011-07-06.
- "director". Retrieved 3 November 2014.
- "About us". Shri Guru Gobind Singhji Institute of Engineering and Technology. 2009-01-29. Retrieved 2011-07-06.
- Kothari, Vishwas (2011-07-04). "Delayed engg admissions will hit our academic calendar". www.timesofindia.com. Bennett, Coleman & Co. Ltd. Retrieved 2011-07-06.
- HT Correspondent (2011-06-15). "Engineering cut-offs may fall". hindustantimes.com. HT Media Limited. Retrieved 2011-07-06.
- Waghmare, Laxman. "Director".