Shri Guru Gobind Singhji Institute of Engineering and Technology
|SGGS College of Engineering|
|Motto||Education of Human Power for Technological Excellence|
|Chairman||Shri Sunil Raithatha|
|Director||Dr. L. M. Waghmare|
|Undergraduates||590+150(DSE) Annual Intake|
|Location||Vishnupuri, Nanded, Maharashtra, India|
|Campus||Urban, 18.62 hectare (46 acres)|
The institute Established in 1981, Shri Guru Gobind Singhji Institute of Engineering and Technology (SGGSIET), Nanded, is a promising leader in the area of technical education, research and technology transfer. It is 100% grant-in aid from Government of Maharashtra. The institute is approved by the All India Council for Technical Education, Government of India. Institute offers 10 undergraduate and 10 postgraduate programs. It also offers Ph. D. program under its affiliating University, Swami Ramanand Teerth Marathwada University (SRTMU), Nanded and under Quality Improvement Program of Ministry of HRD, Government of India, New Delhi. The institute has acquired full autonomous status from June 2004. Pragmatic Management of the Institute has taken proactive steps to raise the institute to greater heights. The Institute has state of the art equipment and machinery for teaching as well as research/consultancy services. Faculty have contributed for laboratory development through various funding agencies like AICTE, DST, BARC, NRB, etc. other than the funding received under two phases of TEQIP and from Government of Maharashtra. Four departments of the institute are recipientof DST-FIST sponsored laboratories. Faculty research abilities have led to the establishment of a "Center of Excellence" in the area of Signal and Image Processing (S&IP) under TEQIP. The Institute has a very progressive and pragmatic approach in providing its services to all its stakeholders. The Institute has collaborations with a number of premier institutes (including foreign universities) and industries through which opportunities like internships, credit transfers, industry relevant projects, etc are made available for the students. The students have also taken due advantage and performed par excellence in placement, higher education in India and abroad, entrepreneurship, administrative and engineering services. The students have exhibited their overall development through participation in socially relevant projects and activities. The research culture of the institute has been proven through publication in peer reviewed national/international journals, reputed international conferences. Many faculties are reviewers for international journals and have published books. Establishment of Innovation Laboratory, incubation centre and participation of students in various innovation projects is a key feature of the institution.
The institute is located at a campus of over 18.62 hectares. The land for the institute was donated by Sant Baba Harnam Singh Langer Sahib Gurudwara trust, Nanded. The Institute is named after the tenth Sikh guru, Gobind Singh.  The institute is affiliated to Swami Ramanand Teerth Marathwada University, Nanded,
SGGSIE&T is currently chaired by Shri Sunil Raithatha, who is also the chairman of Chairman and Managing Director, Vinodrai Engineers Pvt. Ltd, Jalna
- 1 History
- 2 Academics
- 3 Admission to Under Graduate and Post Graduate courses
- 4 Administration
- 5 Infrastructure
- 6 Technical, Cultural Events and other activities
- 7 See also
- 8 References
- 9 External links
The project was approved by the AICTE on 17 December 1981. The institute was registered under the Society's Act, 1960, and was fully funded by the Government of Maharashtra.
The Sant Shri Baba Harnamji trust donated a 46 acres land for the institute. Hence the institute was named after the 10th Sikh Guru, Shri Guru Gobind Singhji. The Governing Board, with the Director of Technical Education at its helm, overlooked the completion of the project. In 1983 Prof. B.M. Naik was appointed as the first full-time director.
In 2004, a committee headed by Dr. F.C. Kholi conducted a survey which identified three engineering colleges with potential for excellence. SGGSIE&T was one of the three selected institutes. The Government of Maharashtra took the initiative of granting autonomous status to these engineering colleges under its TEQIP program.
The SGGS Institute of Engineering and technology is one of the selected few engineering colleges to be offered total autonomy- academic, financial and administrative. In the Eligibility Criterion of NPIU, Institute secured 59 Marks out of 63 and is selected under TEQIP for assistance and provided stiff competition to other institutes.
Shri Sunil Raithatha, an eminent industrialist, has been nominated by the Government of Maharashtra as Chairman of the Governing Board. The Government has also appointed renowned personalities form business and industry, academics and its senior administrative cadre on the Governing Board. The Institute will continue to receive block grants from the Government of Maharashtra, from time to time. The SGGS Institute of Engineering and Technology enjoys a sprawling campus of over 46 acres, donated by Sant Baba Harnam Singh Langer sahib Gurudwara trust and is affiliated to Swami Ramanand Teerth Marathwada University, Nanded.
The institute is an autonomous institute and has been approved by th All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE). In 2011 it had a first year intake capacity of 575 for its under-graduate courses which included 105 seats under AICTE's tuition fee waiver scheme.
The institute offers both undergraduate and postgraduate programmes.
*Undergraduate Courses - B.Tech
List of engineering disciplines
- Civil Engineering**
- Chemical Engineering
- Computer Science & Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Electronics & Telecommunication Engineering
- Instrumentation Engineering
- Information Technology
- Mechanical Engineering
- Production Engineering
- Textile Technology
(Formerly - Civil and Water Management Engineering. Changed to Civil Engineering from academic year 2015.)
*Postgraduate Courses - M.Tech and PhD
The institute grants a Masters of Technology degree and PhD in the following engineering disciplines
- Civil Engineering (Water Management)
- Structural Engineering
- Electronics Engineering
- Electronics (Embedded System and VLSI Design)
- Instrumentation Engineering
- Mechanical (CAD/CAM )
- Mechanical - Product Life Cycle Management
- Computer Network and Information Security
- Information Technology
- Textile Technology
*Ph.D. Program (Research Program)
Institute is recognized as a research center by SRTMU, Nanded for doctoral program QIP centre for research (Ph.D.) since 2011-12: The seats sanctioned under QIP are 10. Two seats for each disciplines namely Civil Engineering, Electronics and Telecommunication Engineering, Instrumentation and Control, Mechanical Engineering, Production Engineering. The institute received the approval from SRTMU, NANDED to pursue, its own Ph.D. Program (as an autonomous Institute). Scholarships to the full time research scholar are available as per norms of MHRD from
- QIP, Ministry of HRD
- Center of Excellence,
- Visvesvaraya Ph.D. Scheme of DEiT and
- Maulana Azad National Fellowship
- Joint Research projects with various organizations
*Center of Excellence in Signal and Image Processing
Establishment: September 2013. Formal Inauguration on 19th Sept 2015.
Aspiration: To Become Leading World Class Centre of Excellence (CoE) in Signal and Image Processing and Analysis.
- Establish the State-of-the art- facilities to carry out research work in SIP,
- Increase production of advanced human capital by increase in enrollment of Master’s and Doctoral students,
- Increase in placement, and updated and more relevant UG and PG curricula. Develop long term R&D capability as evidenced by increase in publications in referred journals, joint publication with international authors, joint programmes/projects/exchanges with international research organisations, publication of books, and technical reports.
- Increase in collaborative and applied research as documented by increase in External R& D funding, notably industry sponsored projects and industry Chairs, patents filed and obtained or other manners of knowledge commercialization and transfer.
Admission to Under Graduate and Post Graduate courses
- First Year of Engineering (B. Tech.)Admissions: Undergraduate admissions are as per the guidelines from Directorate of Technical Education through centralized process.
- Direct Second Year Admissions: Admissions to SGGSIET are strictly based on merit only as per the guidelines issued by the Directorate of Technical Education through centralized process.
- M. Tech. Admissions: Admissions to SGGSIET are strictly based on merit only as per the guidelines issued by the Directorate of Technical Education through centralized process.
The institute is one of the five institutes in Maharashtra State which have been granted total autonomy – academic, financial and administrative. The chairman is Mr. Sunil Raithatha, chairman and Managing Director Vinodrai Engineers Pvt. Ltd, Jalna. The Present Director of the institute is Mr.Dr.L.M.Waghmare.
The institute is spread over 18.62 hectare.
Technical, Cultural Events and other activities
Pragyaa is the national level technical festival of this institute. It was started in 2005.
A national level technical fiesta of SGGSIE&T, Nanded organized every year to provide a platform for students to show their excellence in techno-social competitions. Each year we have a constructive theme working for the welfare of society & technology. Students come in huge numbers to participate in the multitude of events ranging from the brainstorming junior scientist to the bewildering robotics and get a chance to delve into a variety of exhibits. We aim at focusing on excellence of technology for human welfare and add a new dimension to success of our extravaganza every year so that it will reach the height of its glory.
Zenith (Sports Event) is the state level sports event of the Institute. It was started in 2016.
ZENITH, anchor in the vision of how one want his/her life to be and be brave enough to climb to the apex of the potentials and possible achievements. "Zenith 2016" is the first edition of the state level inter-collegiate sports fiesta of the institute.
"Utsav" Cultural Festival
"UTSAV" is a Cultural Festival as an annual event of the institute. It is organised with a view to stimulate the participants with verve and creativity and enable them to gain a lifetime experience. The Cultural Festival will consist of events with a whole range of activities ranging from quizzes, fun games, media events, sports events and many more.
In order to motivate and guide the students those who are interested in preparing for the administrative services, the institute promoted a concept called ÜPSC Chapter. Under this banner, group of identified interested students carryout out the different activities like arranging the experts lectures, events/tests etc. Institute also supports by providing the required books for the preparation of the competitive examinations. Many students derived benefits of these activities and got success in the administrative services like IAS, IPS, IFS, IRS etc.
Student's felicitation and Farewell Function
The institute takes pride to congratulate all the students of the institute, who have completed engineering graduation in every academic year in the ' Student's felicitation and Farewell’ function. The function is aimed to provide departure documents to all B. Tech. pass out and to have a word with them. Also, the ranker's from across all the B. Tech. programs will be felicitated in the function by awarding Gold Medal, Silver Medal, Bronze Medal and certificate of merit and institute topper with Director's Gold medal and Certificate of Academic Excellence. The set of departure documents shall include Grade Cards, Passing Certificate, Leaving Certificate (T. C.), Alumni Card, Foreign language course certificate (if any) etc. For the convenience of all the students, online module will be made available for clearance of 'No Dues' and enrollment towards participation in the function. Students’ parents are invited to witness the function and enjoy wards achievement of the enrolled students. The Chief Guest for the function is always our own alumnus. https://onlinesggs.org/farewell/#/
SGGS Engineers’ Alumni Association (SEEA)
SGGS Engineers’ Alumni Association was founded on 1 January 1984. Here, we aim at connecting alumni giving them a platform to interact and regroup.
- To strengthen the networking among the alumni of the institute for benefits of students.
- To extend the help to the students of the institute for placement and industrial training.
- To act as a bridge between institute and the industries for interaction on new developments in different disciplines of engineering.
- To assist the institute to promote R & D activities, testing and consultancy.
- To extend financial help to economically backward and deserving students in the form of scholarship for UG, PG and higher studies abroad.
- To encourage the students by awarding prizes to meritorious students showing bright performance in the field of education, sports and cultural.
- To enrich the central library by donating books and also by subscribing journals in the field of engineering and technology.
To strengthen the alumni networking the institute organises the Alumni Meet in the month of December of year academic year at the institute. Each year Alumni Meet is celebrated by felicitating those alumni who complete 25 years of their graduation. Apart from this regular event, we organises the alumni meet at different cities in India also internationally (USA, Dubai). SEAA is having its chapter at different cities in India and also internationally (North America Chapter, NAC).
Other Government Engineering Colleges (GEC's) in Maharashtra
- College of Engineering, Pune
- Government College of Engineering, Nagpur
- Government College of Engineering, Aurangabad
- Government College of Engineering, Chandrapur
- Government College of Engineering, Amravati
- Government College of Engineering, Karad
- Veermata Jijabai Technological Institute, Mumbai
- "History". Shri Guru Gobind Singhji Institute of Engineering and Technology. 2009-01-29. Retrieved 2011-07-06.
- "director". Retrieved 3 November 2014.
- "About us". Shri Guru Gobind Singhji Institute of Engineering and Technology. 2009-01-29. Retrieved 2011-07-06.
- Kothari, Vishwas (2011-07-04). "Delayed engg admissions will hit our academic calendar". www.timesofindia.com. Bennett, Coleman & Co. Ltd. Retrieved 2011-07-06.
- HT Correspondent (2011-06-15). "Engineering cut-offs may fall". hindustantimes.com. HT Media Limited. Retrieved 2011-07-06.
- Waghmare, Laxman. "Director".