Location of in Bulgaria
|• Total||2,846.3 km2 (1,099.0 sq mi)|
|Population (February 2011)|
|• Total||119 474|
|Time zone||EET (UTC+2)|
|• Summer (DST)||EEST (UTC+3)|
Silistra Province (Bulgarian: Област Силистра, transliterated Oblast Silistra, former name Silistra okrug) is a province of Bulgaria, named after its main city - Silistra. It is divided into seven municipalities with a total population, as of December 2009, of 127,659.
Silistra Province is a traditionally agricultural province, mainly because of its fertile soil. The province is known for its pelicans and apricot brandy.
The Silistra Province contains 7 municipalities (Bulgarian: singular: oбщина, obshtina - plural: oбщини, obshtini). The following table shows the names of each municipality in English and Cyrillic, the main town (in bold) or village, and the population of each as of December 2009.
The Silistra province had a population of 142,000 according to a 2001 census, of which 49.7% were male and 50.3% were female. As of the end of 2009, the population of the province, announced by the Bulgarian National Statistical Institute, numbered 127,659 of which 25.6% are inhabitants aged over 60 years.
The following table represents the change of the population in the province after World War II:
|Sources: National Statistical Institute, „Census 2001“, „Census 2011“, „pop-stat.mashke.org“,??|
Total population (2011 census): 119 474
Ethnic groups (2011 census): Identified themselves: 111 590 persons:
- Bulgarians: 64 050 ( 57,40 % )
- Turks: 40 272 ( 36,09 % )
- Roma: 5 697 ( 5,11 % )
- Others and indefinable: 1 571 ( 1,41 % )
Religious adherence in the province according to 2001 census:
|Religion not mentioned||2,805||1.98%|
- (in English) Bulgarian Provinces area and population 1999 — National Center for Regional Development — page 90-91
- (in English) Bulgarian National Statistical Institute - Bulgarian provinces and municipalities in 2009
- (in English) „WorldCityPopulation“
- (in English) Bulgarian National Statistical Institute - Bulgarian towns in 2009
- (in Bulgarian) Population to 01.03.2001 by Area and Sex from Bulgarian National Statistical Institute: Census 2001
- (in English) Bulgarian National Statistical Institute - Population by age in 2009
- (in Bulgarian) Population on 01.02.2011 by provinces, municipalities, settlements and age; National Statistical Institute
- Population by province, municipality, settlement and ethnic identification, by 01.02.2011; Bulgarian National Statistical Institute (in Bulgarian)
- (in Bulgarian) Religious adherence in Bulgaria - census 2001
|Rousse Province||Dobrich Province|
|Razgrad Province||Shumen Province||Dobrich Province|