Simhasanam (2012 film)
|Directed by||Shaji Kailas|
|Produced by||S. Chandrakumar|
|Written by||Shaji Kailas|
|Music by||Roni Raphael
|Edited by||Don Max|
Simhasanam (English:Throne) is a 2012 Malayalam action film written and directed by Shaji Kailas, starring Prithviraj, Vandana Menon and Aishwarya Devan in lead roles. The film depicts an emotional bonding between a father (Sai Kumar) and son (Prithviraj).
Simhasanam was initially intended to be a remake of the cult Mohanlal-starrer Naduvazhikal. But on scripting, it deviated so much from the original story that, it is no longer a rehashed version of the 1989 hit. So they made it as a loosely based adaptation of Mario Puzo's The Godfather.
The story centers around the Chandragiri family whose head Madhava Menon is liked by all in the village. His only son Arjun who is a student in Manipal. As Madhava Menon's popularity rises and spreads to other parts, so does the number of enemies who feel that he is stealing the limelight from them. Things reach a pass where Arjun had to be summoned from Manipal to clear up the atmosphere and restore order. The constant struggles between Madhava Menon and Arjun Madhav on one side and their enemies on the other side is the main theme in the story.
- This is the first time that Shaji Kailas directed a film with the script written by him.
- Shaji Kailas directed many films in a family background such as Aaram Thamburan, Narasimham, Madirasi etc. This is one of the film that has action mixed with family bonds.
- This is the first time that Shaji Kailas directed a film with Prithviraj as the hero.
- Prithviraj .... Chandragiriyil Arjun Madhav
- Sai Kumar .... Chandragiriyil Madhava Menon
- Vandana Menon .... Lakshmi (Lechu)
- Aishwarya Devan .... Nanda
- Biju Pappan as Jamal
- P. Sreekumar as Chief Minister Chacko
- Maniyanpilla Raju
- T. P. Madhavan
- Shammi Thilakan
- V. K. Sreeraman
- Rajeev Parameshwar
- Geetha Nair
- Rema Devi
The movie received negative reviews from critics.
- Sify wrote:"With larger than life characters seen in umpteen films, awful situations, melodrama and irritating dialogues, this one mostly turn out as unintentionally funny. Shaji, who has scripted the film as well, has made some kind of a curious compilation of some of those already popular scenes from a few select movies".
- Rediff criticized the film saying that it "is a mixture of the director's hits post-1990s, a patchwork of a story with nothing for the viewer to take back".
- Indiaglitz called it "run of the mill action love story recited in the most routine manner".
- "Shaji kailas for his 'Simhasanam'". IndiaGlitz. 2 April 2012. Retrieved 3 June 2012.
- Sanjith Sidhardhan. "One more film inspired by The Godfather". The Times of India.
- Simhasanam at Malayalam Movie Database