1 March 1957
|Occupation||Magician, illusionist, director, producer, writer|
He first came to wider attention in Kate Bush's UK live tour in 1979 for which he co-devised visuals and played seven characters. He has a wide and diverse performing history, performing at Tenjō Sajiki in Japan, to the Royal Variety Show at the London Palladium before Queen Elizabeth II. He advised Nicolas Roeg for the film Castaway, coaching Oliver Reed in sleight of hand, and was magic advisor to Harvey Keitel on FairyTale: A True Story.
He has performed and consulted with many performers including Elton John, Phil Collins, Madness, David Gilmour, Meat Loaf, Steve Miller, Daryl Hall, Bill Wyman, George Harrison, Julian Lennon, Kate Bush, Peter Gabriel, Katy Perry, and Pamela Stephenson.
Drake has performed twice as a guest with The Royal Ballet at The Royal Opera House, Covent Garden and the London Coliseum. He has appeared at festivals and tours in Canada, New Zealand, Europe and in the UK and has had residencies at many London nightclubs as well as a month in cabaret at The Casino in Monte Carlo, Paris and Dubai. He was the magic and effects supervisor to Cameron Mackintosh for the West End production of The Witches of Eastwick and Ducktastic.
He was a consultant on the South London Theatre's Spring 2007 production of Dr Faustus. He was also a consultant on the production of episode 6 of the fourth series of the BBC television drama Hustle. He was also a magic advisor on the Terry Gilliam film The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus.
House of Magic
In 1996 he opened his own 4,000-square-foot (370 m2) venue, Simon Drake's House of Magic, in a converted Victorian building at an unpublicised location in London.
This performing space specialises in corporate entertainment functions, with monthly public performance nights.
- "The Secret Cabaret information". at television production company Open Media. Retrieved 10 March 2007.
- Quinlan, Tim (3 October 2005), "Celebrity Interview: Simon Drake", Inside Magic, retrieved 10 March 2007
- "Interview with Simon Drake", Daily Mirror, Mirror Group Newspapers, 19 February 2000
- The God of Hellfire: The Crazy Life and Times of Arthur Brown by Polly Marshall, SAF Publishing 2005
- "High Band: Kate Bush Live at the Hammersmith Odeon". British Film Institute database. Archived from the original on 22 October 2008. Retrieved 1 April 2007.
- Simon Drake at IMDb
- "Raising Hell". Internet Movie Database. Retrieved 3 April 2007.
- Quinlan, "Celebrity Interview"
- "Hustle". Internet Movie Database. Retrieved 3 April 2007.
- "Simon Drake's House of Magic News". Simon Drake. Retrieved 22 October 2009.
- Walker, Mark (November 2006), "Simon Drake's House of Magic", Magic, Stagewrite Publishing, archived from the original on 28 March 2007
- Cover story of January 1992 Magic magazine