|Detroit Medical Center|
|Location||6071 West Outer Drive|
Detroit, Michigan, Michigan, United States
|Emergency department||Level II trauma center|
|Founded||Grace - 1888|
Sinai - 1953
Combined - 1999
|Lists||Hospitals in Michigan|
DMC Sinai-Grace Hospital is the largest of the eight hospitals that comprise the Detroit Medical Center. Located in northwest Detroit, Sinai-Grace provides health care services in over 40 specialties and has 334 inpatient beds, is a full-service hospital including comprehensive cardiac care, stroke, surgical intensive care, medical intensive care, trauma and emergency medicine, cancer treatment, general and robotic surgeries, women's health, urology, gastrointestinal, gerontology, obstetrics/gynecology and cosmetic/plastic surgery. Sinai-Grace received an "A" rating three years in a row from The LeapFrog Group. Sinai-Grace's Joint Excel Plus program features a minimally invasive knee and hip replacement surgery. Sinai-Grace also operates more than 25 outpatient care sites and ambulatory surgery centers throughout Wayne and Oakland Counties. Sinai-Grace is one of 10 hospitals in the nation to be awarded a Robert Wood Johnson Foundation grant to set the standards of cardiac care for hospitals and physicians throughout the nation. U.S.News & World Report named Sinai-Grace Hospital one of 2014's "America's Best Hospitals" in 8 areas.
More than 200 medical students and resident physicians in a variety of medical and surgical specialties get their advanced training at Sinai-Grace every year. In addition, nursing and medical students, radiology technicians, pharmacists, physician assistants and chaplains train at the hospital.
In April 1999, two hospitals with roots in the community since 1888 consolidated services under one roof. The former Sinai and Grace hospitals joined to create a community academic hospital in northwest Detroit and relocated to the former Mount Carmel Hospital building. Around April 1991, Grace Hospital had originally merged with Mount Carmel Hospital. The Grace and Mount Carmel hospital staff merged creating the new Grace Hospital at the 6071 West Outer Drive location.
Grace Hospital was established in 1888 and named after Grace McMillan Jarvis, daughter of founder Senator James McMillan. It was located at the corner of Willis and John R. adjacent to the current main campus of the Detroit Medical Center. Grace Hospital opened a training school for nurses in 1889. In 1913, the Miriam Memorial Branch of the hospital opened at the former Vinewood Estate of Bela Hubbard on the north side of Lafayette between West Grand Blvd and Vinewood. It was demolished in 1933.
Sinai Hospital's roots date from a clinic opened by Harry Saltzstein, M.D., in 1922. Sinai Hospital opened its doors in January 1953 to give Jewish healthcare professionals a place to practice without discrimination and as a central institution for the Jewish community.
Clinical Services at DMC Sinai-Grace Hospital include:
- Cosmetic/Plastic Surgery
- Critical Care
- Emergency Medicine
- Infectious Disease
- Oral/Maxillofacial Surgery
- Pain Management
- Physical Medicine/Rehabilitation
- Podiatric Surgery
- Sleep Disorders
- Vascular Services
- Women’s Health
Programs and services of note
DMC Sinai-Grace Hospital offers free health education programs during the fall and spring from the People's Medical College. A few of the classes offered were on:
- -Joint Pain
- -Fibroids and Menopause
- -Diabetes wound care
- -Heart Health
Sinai-Grace Hospital was the first hospital in Detroit and among the First in the region to have the Umbilical Cord Blood Bank program.
Sinai-Grace Hospital was the first hospital in Michigan to offer Blue Light Cystoscopies. One of its other achievements was implementing a historic Uterine Fibroid surgery.
DMC Sinai-Grace Hospital has been recognized/accredited by several major organizations, including:
- Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations (JCAHO) – Fully Accredited, 2014.
- MPRO/Michigan Medicare Quality Improvement Organization – Governor’s Award.
- The Leapfrog Group – Top Hospital list for patient quality and safety 2012, 2013, 2014.
- U.S. News & World Report – America’s Top Hospitals
- Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) and the Federal Department of Health and Human Services ranked above the national average in care for patients with specific types of medical conditions including heart failure and heart attacks.
- HealthGrades’ Stroke Care Excellence Award, Critical Care Award.
- "Sinai-Grace Hospital". U.S. News & World Report. Retrieved 2017-08-21.
- "The New Grace Hospital, April 1, 1991, A Greater Hospital for Greater Detroit, 1991, Booklet commemorating the consolidation of Grace and Mount Carmel" (PDF). Walter P. Reuther Library, Wayne State University. Archived from the original (PDF) on 12 December 2013. Retrieved 6 December 2013.
- "Grace Hospital Collection: Index" (PDF). Walter P. Reuther Library. Retrieved 2017-08-21.
- "Daniel Scotten or Bela Hubbard Homes". DetroitYes!. January 13, 2011.
- "JCA Sinai Hospital Records". Walter P. Reuther Library. November 9, 2015. Retrieved 2017-08-21.