Singles Box Set 1981–1985
|Singles Box Set 1981-1985|
|Compilation album by Duran Duran|
|Released||12 May 2003|
|Genre||New wave, rock|
7243 551728 2 2 / 5099968431723
|Producer||Duran Duran and various|
|Duran Duran chronology|
Singles Box Set 1981–1985 is a boxset by Duran Duran. Comprising thirteen CDs, it was released by EMI on 12 May 2003 and covers the era from Duran Duran (1981) to Arena (1984), as well as non-album single "A View to a Kill" (1985).
Each CD is supposed to be a faithful copy of the UK vinyl single as it was released in the early 1980s, with all of the b-sides and alternate tracks, and each is packaged in a square cardboard sleeve replicating the original artwork. The thirteen cardboard sleeves are then packaged in a heavy-duty card box.
This was the first time many of these tracks, including b-sides and alternate versions, appeared on CD.
There is at least one song missing from this collection:
- The initial version of the UK 7 inch "Rio" single (EMI5346) featured the version of the song known as "Rio (Single version)". Later versions of this single replaced the A-side with "Rio (Part 1)". The version of the song included in this collection is "Rio (Part 1)".
Additionally, because this collection is based on the regular UK single releases, there are a number of songs which appeared on international releases, but were excluded from the collection:
- "To the Shore", the US b-side to "Planet Earth". This track is available elsewhere on CD, but so are many other tracks included in this collection.
- "Girls on Film (Night Version)". There is an alternate mix that lasts 5:45 and features slightly different instrumentation. There's also an instrumental Night Version that was released on a Greek 12".
- "My Own Way (Instrumental version)". This instrumental version of the night version appeared on the UK Promo 12 inch single and is a digital bonus track for the 2CD special edition of Rio.
- "New Religion (live)", the US b-side to "The Reflex". This is not the version which appeared on Arena, but a different performance recorded on 7 February 1984 in Los Angeles.
The set was reissued on 19 October 2009 as a 3CD jewel cased edition. CD1 contains the tracks from the "Planet Earth", "Careless Memories", "Girls on Film", "My Own Way" and "Hungry Like the Wolf". CD2 the tracks from "Save A Prayer", "Rio", "Is There Something I Should Know?" and "Union of the Snake" and CD3 the tracks from "New Moon on Monday", "The Reflex", "The Wild Boys" and "A View to a Kill".
The boxset comprises the following CD singles:
- Allmusic review
- Pitchfork Media review
- "Duran Duran - The Singles 81-85 (Box Set) at Discogs". Discogs.com. 2005-05-20. Retrieved 2012-01-12.
- "Duran Duran - The Singles 81-85 (CD) at Discogs". Discogs.com. 2009-10-19. Retrieved 2012-01-12.