|Village and Municipality|
Fraeylemaborg in Slochteren
Location in Groningen
|• Body||Municipal council|
|• Mayor||Geert-Jan ten Brink (PvdA)|
|• Total||158.87 km2 (61.34 sq mi)|
|• Land||151.03 km2 (58.31 sq mi)|
|• Water||7.84 km2 (3.03 sq mi)|
|Elevation||−1 m (−3 ft)|
|Population (May 2014)|
|• Density||103/km2 (270/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
The municipality can be characterized as a chain of small villages dividing a mostly agricultural landscape. Having an agricultural background for at least a thousand years, the community houses for the most part commuters to nearby towns like Hoogezand, Groningen and Delfzijl. The mansion Fraeylemaborg (a small 'castle', the oldest parts of which are dated in the Middle Ages) is located in Slochteren.
The population centres in the municipality are:
Topographic map of the municipality of Slochteren, June 2015
Natural gas field
Slochteren is in the center of the giant Groningen gas field, discovered in 1959, ensuring the position of the Netherlands as a major energy exporting country. The estimated gas reserves in 2009 was 2,700 km3 (650 cu mi).
- "Dhr G.J. ten Brink" [Mr G.J. ten Brink] (in Dutch). Gemeente Slochteren. Retrieved 3 February 2014.
- "Kerncijfers wijken en buurten" [Key figures for neighbourhoods]. CBS Statline (in Dutch). CBS. 2 July 2013. Retrieved 12 March 2014.
- "Postcodetool for 9621AL". Actueel Hoogtebestand Nederland (in Dutch). Het Waterschapshuis. Retrieved 3 February 2014.
- "Bevolkingsontwikkeling; regio per maand" [Population growth; regions per month]. CBS Statline (in Dutch). CBS. 26 June 2014. Retrieved 24 July 2014.
- NAM/Shell gas/oil website
||Ten Boer, Loppersum||Appingedam|
|This Groningen location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a natural gas field is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|