|Original author(s)||Martin Roesch|
220.127.116.11 / October 11, 2018
3.0 / August 29, 2018
|License||GPLv2+ and commercial|
Snort is a free open source network intrusion detection system (IDS) and intrusion prevention system (IPS)  created in 1998 by Martin Roesch, former founder and CTO of Sourcefire. Snort is now developed by Cisco, which purchased Sourcefire in 2013, at which Roesch is a chief security architect.
Snort's open source network-based intrusion detection/prevention system (IDS/IPS) has the ability to perform real-time traffic analysis and packet logging on Internet Protocol (IP) networks. Snort performs protocol analysis, content searching and matching.
The program can also be used to detect probes or attacks, including, but not limited to, operating system fingerprinting attempts, semantic URL attacks, buffer overflows, server message block probes, and stealth port scans.
Snort can be configured in three main modes: sniffer, packet logger, and network intrusion detection. In sniffer mode, the program will read network packets and display them on the console. In packet logger mode, the program will log packets to the disk. In intrusion detection mode, the program will monitor network traffic and analyze it against a rule set defined by the user. The program will then perform a specific action based on what has been identified.
There are several third-party tools interfacing Snort for administration, reporting, performance and log analysis:
- Snort.org downloads
- Snort.org downloads
- "Snort license".
- Jeffrey Carr (2007-06-05). "Snort: Open Source Network Intrusion Prevention". Retrieved 2010-06-23.
- Larry Greenemeier (2006-04-25). "Sourcefire Has Big Plans For Open-Source Snort". Retrieved 2010-06-23.
- eWeek.com Staff (2008-04-04). "100 Most Influential People in IT". Retrieved 2010-06-23.
- "Cisco Announces Agreement to Acquire Sourcefire". Cisco Systems. 2013-07-27. Retrieved 2013-07-23.
- "Cisco to Buy Sourcefire, a Cybersecurity Company, for $2.7 Billion". The New York Times. Retrieved July 23, 2013.
- "Snort: The World's Most Widely Deployed IPS Technology". Cisco. Retrieved 2018-08-30.
- Doug Dineley; High Mobley (2009-08-17). "The Greatest Open Source Software of All Time". Retrieved 2010-06-23.
- Mohan Krishnamurthy; et al. (2008). "4. Introducing Intrusion Detection and Snort". How to Cheat at Securing Linux. Burlington, MA: Syngress Publishing Inc. Retrieved 2010-06-24.
- Snort Team (2012-01-01). "Snort Usage".
- Snort team (2013-04-05). "Snort Usage".