Early life and education
El-Waylly was raised in Los Angeles in a Bengali-American family. The family owned a Baskin-Robbins store. El-Waylly continued in the restaurant industry by working for Outback Steakhouse. Beginning in 2008, El-Waylly attended The Culinary Institute of America (CIA).
In March 2016, El-Waylly and her husband opened a diner called Hail Mary in Brooklyn, which attracted favorable reviews. However, it closed after 11 months. After working at Serious Eats as a culinary editor, El-Waylly left to join Bon Appétit magazine in August 2019, subsequently becoming a presence on the magazine's popular YouTube channel.
- Costantino, D.J. (January 2017). "Rising Star Chef Ham & Sohla El-Waylly of Hail Mary - Biography". StarChefs. Archived from the original on January 5, 2020.
- Shah, Khushbu (April 25, 2017). "What Happens When a Brown Chef Cooks White Food?". GQ. New York City: GQ. Archived from the original on May 22, 2020. Retrieved May 21, 2020.
- "The Feed: An 'Un-Serious' Diner in Brooklyn". Wall Street Journal. May 17, 2016. ISSN 0099-9660. Archived from the original on January 27, 2018. Retrieved May 21, 2020.
- Nell, Casey (February 14, 2017). "Ambitious Gourmet 'Diner' Hail Mary Closes In Greenpoint". Gothamist. Retrieved May 21, 2020.[permanent dead link]
- El-Waylly, Ham. LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/in/ham-el-waylly-62058144/. Retrieved May 21, 2020. Missing or empty
- VanDerWerff, Emily (April 21, 2020). "How Bon Appétit's wildly popular YouTube channel is making videos in quarantine". Vox. Archived from the original on April 29, 2020. Retrieved May 21, 2020.
- Beggs, Alex (August 3, 2019). "What My Dream Grocery Store Looks Like". Bon Appétit. Archived from the original on December 16, 2019. Retrieved May 21, 2020.
- Kennedy, Alicia (February 10, 2017). "The Couple Behind Greenpoint Diner Hail Mary Draws Zero Lines Between Home and Work". Edible Brooklyn. Archived from the original on April 21, 2019. Retrieved May 21, 2020.
|This biographical article on a chef is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|