Solid State Warrior
|Solid State Warrior|
|Studio album by Roger Joseph Manning, Jr.|
|Released||March 2, 2006|
|Producer||Roger Joseph Manning, Jr.|
|Roger Joseph Manning, Jr. chronology|
|CD booklet cover|
Solid State Warrior is the debut studio album by Roger Joseph Manning, Jr. (best known for his work with Jellyfish, Imperial Drag and the Moog Cookbook), released exclusively in Japan on March 5, 2005 through the (now defunct) Weedshare music distribution service.
Despite positive reviews from critics, the album was not commercially successful. The album was re-released internationally under the title The Land of Pure Imagination, including new songs.
Background and release
Before beginning his solo career, Manning was best known for his work with the Jellyfish, Imperial Drag and the Moog Cookbook. He has also been noted for his session work with acts including Blink-182, Fiona Apple, Jamiroquai, and Beck.
The album was originally released on the now defunct peer-to-peer service Weedshare instead of receiving a traditional retail release. Neither, the album or service were commercially successful. The album was re-released internationally under the title The Land of Pure Imagination later the same year on Cordless Recordings. The release included new tracks not originally released with the album.
The album received positive reviews from contemporary critics. In a review for AllMusic, Joseph McCombs called the album a "solid" sunshine pop album. While he describes the songs "Sleep Children" and "'Til We Meet Again" as "forgettable lullaby dities", he calls the song "What You Don't Know About the Girl" a "bona fide candy-coated delight". To summarize he notes that the album "continues in the sunny power pop mold; it doesn't tip over into exceedingly twee or baroque territory, but rather emphasizes bright melodies and playful arrangements."
All songs written and composed by Roger Joseph Manning, Jr.
- "The Land Of Pure Imagination" – 6:01
- "Too Late For Us Now" – 3:23
- "Wish It Would Rain" – 5:42
- "The Loser" – 3:36
- "Sandman" – 3:35
- "What You Don't Know About The Girl" – 2:49
- "Dragonfly" – 5:20
- "Creeple People" – 5:28
- "Sleep Children" – 2:47
- "You Were Right" – 5:42
- "'Til We Meet Again" – 3:44
- Roger Joseph Manning, Jr. - vocals, keyboards, guitar, bass, drums
- Mike McGuffy - trumpet on "Sleep Children"
- Leahy, Andrew. "Roger Manning: Biography by Andrew Leahy". AllMusic. Rovi Corporation. Retrieved September 19, 2018.
- Briscoe, Brian (April 10, 2005). "Roger Joseph Manning, Jr. - Solid State Warrior". High Bias. 2005 High Bias. Retrieved September 5, 2018.
- McCombs, Joseph. "Solid State Warrior". AllMusic. Rovi Corporation. Retrieved September 5, 2018.