Sonnie Trotter (born November 15, 1979 in Toronto, Ontario) is a Canadian professional climber, known for his strength in many rock climbing disciplines, contributing to hundreds of first ascents around the world. Trotter began climbing in 1997 at age 16, and soon became the first Canadian to climb 5.14c and the third North American to have established a 5.14d route. In more recent years, Trotter has gained notoriety for his support of clean trad routes over bolted routes, and his first ascent of the Cobra Crack in Squamish, British Columbia.
Sonnie also made Squamish history in 2006 when he and his climbing partner Matt Segal connected The Shadow 5.13b, The Grand Wall 5.13b and The Black Dyke 5.13b on the Stawamus Chief all free in a single 12-hour push.
Trotter has been featured in 3 award-winning films. "The Cobra Crack", won best short film at the BIMFF in 2006. "If you're not falling" won Best Short Film at BIMFF in 2008 and "First Ascent" is the winner of multiple awards. Trotter is also prominently featured in the opening scenes of the hit motion picture 'The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 2' being chased by Bella while free soloing."
- Estado Critico (5.14d) Sonnie's proudest ascent as of April 7, 2015.
- Superman (5.14c, FA in 2002) Link up of Cheakamus Canyon's Pulse (5.14a), Captain America (5.14b) and Gom Jabbar (5.13b) continuing through the crux of Patience (5.14a)
- Forever Expired (5.14d, FA in 2004) Ontario's hardest route to date
- East Face of Monkey Face (5.13d R, FGA in 2004) Originally established by Smith Rock pioneer Alan Watts, Trotter red pointed the East Face on trad lead
- Cobra Crack (5.14, FA in June, 2006), Squamish, British Columbia. Considered one of the world's hardest crack climbs
- Rhapsody (5.14b/c R, second ascent in June 2008) World's first E11
- The Prophet (5.13d), El Capitan, second ascent of Leo Houlding's ground-up free route.
- Necessary Evil (5.14c)
- Just Do It (5.14c)
- The Path (5.14a) Trad lead
- Sugar Daddy (soft 5.14a, FA in 2010), Nightmare Rock, Squamish BC.
- Ewbank Route, Totem Pole (5.12d R in 2015), free ascent of the original aid line on Tasmania's iconic sea column (climbed in one pitch).
- http://www.hollywood.com/movies/the-twilight-saga-breaking-dawn-part-two-59269400/credits/. Missing or empty
- "Sonnie Trotter". Sonnie Trotter. Retrieved 2012-07-31.
- "Media Realase: Sonnie Trotter Joins Town of Canmore Team[permanent dead link]". Town of Canmore. Retrieved 2013-07-21
- "". Sonnie Trotter. Retrieved 2014-01-21