|This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Elevation||3 m (10 ft)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Sex ratio||986 ♂/♀|
Soro is a town and a municipality in Balasore district in the Indian state of Odisha. It is about 181 km from the capital of the state Bhubaneswar and 35 km from the district headquarters Balasore. Located on NH-5, the town is located midway between Balasore and Bhadrak towns.Soro along with neighboring towns contributes significantly towards the economy of Balasore district.
Soro is at  It has an average elevation of 3 metres (9 feet). The Bay Of Bengal is just about 20 km from the town. The scenic beauty of the hills of Deva Giri and Panchalingeswar stands just 5–7 km from the town. The river Kansabansa flows to the south of the town. Soro is surrounded by Simulia tahasil, Khaira tahasil, Bahanaga tahasil. Land is very fertile for growing crops, especially rice..
Soro is booming nowadays in terms of trade/ business. It has no fewer than 5,000 shops. So many other small markets and businessman are dependent on this market. Soro has two business areai.e. Adang bazar and Uttareswar. Mainly these markets are popular for their business transaction. The Soro market is famous for its fresh Hilsa Fishes and Farm Vegetables sold by the local community from nearby villages.
Civic administration and utilities
The Soro Municipality oversees and manages civic infrastructure for the town's 19 wards. Residents of each ward elect a councillor to the Soro Municipality for a five-year term. Standing committees handle urban planning and maintain roads, government-aided schools, hospitals and municipal markets. As Soro's apex body, the Municipality discharges its functions through the council, which comprises a Chairperson, a Vice Chairperson and other elected members. The executive wing is headed by an Executive Officer. Soro Municipality' sresponsibilities include drainage and sewerage, sanitation, solid waste management and street lighting. As of 2013, the INC controlled the Soro Municipality ; the Chairperson was Subhasmita Mohanty 
Soro has lower courts: The Civil Court decide civil matters; the JFM Court rules in criminal cases.
Soro Police , a state police force with primary responsibilities in law enforcement and investigation in Soro area.
Citizens of Soro elect representative to India's lower house, the Lok Sabha as a part of Bhadrak (Lok Sabha constituency), and one representative to the state legislative assembly, through the constituency of Soro.
Electricity is supplied by the state-operated North Eastern Electricity Supply Company of Odisha Limited (NESCO). Fire services are handled by the state agency Odisha Fire Service through Soro Fire Station. State-owned Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited, or BSNL, as well as private enterprises, among them Vodafone, Bharti Airtel, Reliance, Idea Cellular, Aircel, and Tata DoCoMo, are the leading telephone, cell phone and internet service providers in the town.
Soro town contains 5 colleges and 6 high schools and about 20 M.E. schools which spread the light of education not only in the town but in the surrounding areas also. Upendra Nath College ( http://www.uncollegesoro.com) is the premier college of the town which holds the dignity of being the best college in the locality as well as among the colleges affiliated to F.M.University. It is located by the N.H.-5. Soro women's college, situated near Idga Maidan( court chhak) is the only college offering higher education strictly for girls. Both the college have two wings viz. +2 and +3. A centre of Odisha State Open University (OSOU) has been established in the town . A Government Vocational College is also operated in the premises of U.N College, Soro. The town also homes some residential colleges i.e
- Radhanath Residential College, Badakhuri (+2 Science)
- Sriram residential College, Uttareswar (+2 and +3 Science)
- Kalam Residential +2 Science College, Matiapala
Secondary Education : In Secondary education, the town has created a unique place of its own in the state. Satyananda High School located at Mubarak pur, established in 1939, pre- independence era is regarded as one of the best schools of the state. Radhanath Vidya Pitha situated on the heart of the town, Medical square is the other prestigious school of the state. established in 1983 the school is very nearer to Masjid Ahmadiyya soro.
Other Schools in Soro town are:
- Panchanan High School, Badakhuri
- N.A.C High School and Bapu Nodal School, Court Chhak
- Hazra Begum Urdu High School, Near Kasipola
- Hemaprava High School
- K.C. Saraswati Shishu Vidya Mandir, Behind Radhanath High School (Affiliated to Shiksha Vikash Samiti, Odisha)
- Ramakrushna Shiksha Niketan, Soro Palace, Chhatrapur
- Vivekananda Shiksha Kendra, Chhatrapur
- Soro Public Shool, Near Railway Level Crossing
- Happy Home School, Station Road ( Affiliated to ICSE, New Delhi)
- St. Xavier' s High School, Uttareswar and Ullaskharagpur (Affiliated to CBSE, New Delhi)
- Cambridge School, Ullaskharagpur Road (Affiliated to CBSE, New Delhi)
- Phoenix English Medium School, Near Kasipola
- Fortune Kids School (Affiliated to CBSE, New Delhi)
- Aurobinda Integral Education, Kamarpur
- Badakhuri UG Primary School
- Bankabihari Nodal Upper Primary School Barhapur
- Board Girls Primary School
- Chakradhar Nodal Upper Primary School, Itua
- Dandapada Primary School
- Gandhi Seva Sangha Girls High School
- Gandhi Seva Sangha Upper Primary School
- Guhariasahi Primary School
- Hazira Begum Nodal Upper Primary School
- Kajimahala Primary School
- Kamalini Nodal Upper Primary School Khirkoni
- Kamarpur UG Upper Primary School
- Khandasahi UG Upper Primary School
- Khaparanal Primary School
- Kharida Primary School
- Lingapada Primary School
- Madhusudanpur Primary School
- Maudamani High School
- Meghamadhaba Primary School
- Muleswar Primary School
- Nachhipur Ganja UG Upper Primary School
- Nanda Kishore Upper Primary School
- Orissa State Brigade School
- Pathanmahala Urdu Primary School
- Purubai Kanyashram Primary School
- R.N. Upper Primary School, Soro
- Ramesh Chandra Upper Primary School, Lingapada
- Sadmapur Primary School
- Soro Feeder Primary School
- Soro Urdu Boys Primary School
- Suvadoya Vidyalaya Matiapada
- Tundapada Primary School
- Uttareswar Primary School
- Soro School of Engineering
- Minarani I.T.I
- Deeptirani I.T.I
- Ayodhya I.T.I
- Little Flower I.T.I
Oriya and English are the primary languages of instruction. Schools in Bhubaneswar follow the "10+2+3" plan. After completing secondary education, students typically enroll in schools that are affiliated with the Council of Higher Secondary Education, the ICSE, or the CBSE. In a larger sense, however, place-based education seeks to help communities through employing students and school staff in solving community problems.
Private operators run buses connecting Soro to cities in Odisha and with the neighbouring states of Jharkhand, West Bengal . Soro is connected to the rest of Odisha and India by National Highways-NH 5, which is a part of the Kolkata-Chennai prong of the Golden Quadrilateral.
Soro has good network of Municipal and PWD roads. Auto rickshaws are available for hire and on a share basis throughout the town. In parts of the town, cycle rickshaws offer short trips. To ease traffic jams, over-bridges at major road junctions and expansion of roads are under construction.
Soro is a part of Southern Railway and is connected to major cities by daily express and passenger trains, but daily service to all metro cities is not available from here. Currently, the station has four platforms. There are plans to add two more platforms.
Soro is one of the Vidhan Sabha seat of Odisha. Current MLA from Soro Assembly Constituency is Parshuram Dhada of BJD, who won the seat in State elections in 2014. Other previous MLAs from this seat were:
- 2014: Parshuram Dhada (BJD)
- 2009: Surendra prasad Parmink INC
- 2004: Kartik Mohapatra INC
- 2000: Kartik Mohapatra INC
- 1995: Kartik Mohapatra INC
- 1990: Kartik Mohapatra INC
- 1985: Jadunath Das Mohapatra INC
- 1980: Pitambar Panda (CPI)
- 1977: Haraprasad Mahapatra (Janata Party)
- 1974: Jadunath Das Mohapatra INC
- 1971: Jadunath Das Mohapatra (Utkal Congress)
- 1967: Harekrushna Mahatab (Swatantra)
- 1961: Karunakar Panigrahi INC
- 1957: Nilambar Das INC
- 1951: Nanda Kishore Das INC
- Falling Rain Genomics, Inc - Soro
- "Soro Assembly Constituency, Orissa". Compare Infobase Limited. Retrieved 23 February 2014.