|No. 12 – Mater Dei Monarchs|
|League||CIF Southern Section|
June 24, 1998|
Los Angeles, California
|Listed height||6 ft 1 in (1.85 m)|
|Listed weight||160 lb (73 kg)|
Spencer Freedman (born June 24, 1998) is an American basketball player who attends Mater Dei High School in Santa Ana, California. A senior point guard, he has been ranked among the top high school players in California and has signed to play with the Harvard Crimson at the college level. Freedman first competed with Santa Monica High School in his native Santa Monica, California.
High school career
Freedman played his freshman season at Santa Monica High School in Santa Monica, California. He joined the team as one of the top incoming freshman point guards, having drawn local attention at basketball camps and competitions in eighth grade. In his high school debut on June 12, 2014, Freedman scored 31 points, missing only two shots, in a win over Notre Dame High School. He notched 25 points in the following game. On January 24, 2015, he scored 17 points as his team was defeated by Las Vegas High School.
In June 2015, Freedman left Santa Monica to transfer to Mater Dei High School in Santa Ana, California. According to his father, he made the move for academic reasons. By the beginning of his Mater Dei career, he held college offers from the Cal State Northridge Matadors, Rice Owls, UC Santa Barbara Gauchos, and USC Trojans. On February 26, 2016, in a 54–102 loss to Chino Hills High School, Freedman scored 10 points. By the end of the season, he earned first-team All-County honors from the Orange County Register. His team was ranked among the top 25 in the nation by USA Today High School Sports.
In January 2017, in a win over Santa Margarita Catholic High School, Freedman posted 18 points and five assists for Mater Dei. He led his team to a Trinity League title and an appearance at the CIF Southern Section Open Division Finals. At the end of the season, he was named most valuable player of the Trinity League. On June 9, Freedman committed to play college basketball for the Harvard Crimson. He said, "No matter what, eventually the ball is going to stop bouncing and basketball will be over for everyone so I know college is not a four decision but a lifetime decision. By choosing Harvard, I'm getting an education that will set me up for a future past basketball."
|Name||Hometown||High school / college||Height||Weight||Commit date|
|Santa Ana||Mater Dei (CA)||5 ft 11.6 in (1.82 m)||156.7 lb (71.1 kg)||Jun 9, 2017|
|Recruiting star ratings: Scout: N/A Rivals: 247Sports: ESPN:|
|Overall recruiting rankings: Rivals: 145 247Sports: 149, 12 (CA), 31 (PG) ESPN: 14 (CA), 27 (PG)|
Freedman was born in Pacific Palisades, Los Angeles to father Bryan Freedman, a lawyer who had studied at the University of California, Berkeley. He first played basketball at age 7 and started training regularly one year later. In his junior year at Mater Dei, Freedman had a 4.3 grade point average (GPA) and drew attention from several Ivy League schools for his academic success. For college, he plans to major in business, political science, or law.
- Sondheimer, Eric (June 11, 2014). "Freshman Spencer Freedman is impressive for Santa Monica". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved December 9, 2017.
- Sondheimer, Eric (May 30, 2014). "Spencer Freedman selects Santa Monica as his high school". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved December 9, 2017.
- Sondheimer, Eric (June 16, 2014). "Teams are unveiling talented freshmen in summer basketball". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved December 9, 2017.
- "Raybon breaks tie, lifts Wildcats past Santa Monica". NevadaPreps.com. January 24, 2015. Retrieved December 9, 2017.
- Sondheimer, Eric (June 8, 2015). "Spencer Freedman leaves Santa Monica for Mater Dei". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved December 9, 2017.
- Goodman, Jeffrey I. (June 19, 2015). "Hoops prospect leaves Samohi for Mater Dei". Santa Monica Daily Press. Retrieved December 9, 2017.
- Gershon, Josh (February 3, 2016). "Four offers for 2018 PG Spencer Freedman". Scout.com. Retrieved December 11, 2017.
- Fryer, Steve (February 26, 2016). "Mater Dei has long, painful night against high-flying Chino Hills". Orange County Register. Retrieved December 11, 2017.
- Fryer, Steve (April 4, 2016). "All-County boys basketball team: First team". Orange County Register. Retrieved December 11, 2017.
- "No. 21 Mater Dei leads four new teams in boys Super 25 basketball rankings". USA Today. Retrieved December 11, 2017.
- Fryer, Steve (January 18, 2017). "Mater Dei shows why it reigns in Trinity League". Orange County Register. Retrieved December 11, 2017.
- Sondheimer, Eric (March 22, 2017). "Spencer Freedman is Trinity League MVP". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved December 11, 2017.
- Gershon, Josh (June 9, 2017). "Top 100 PG Spencer Freedman chooses Harvard". Scout.com. Retrieved December 11, 2017.
- Simpson, David Mark (October 7, 2014). "Hyped point guard loving Samohi". Santa Monica Daily Press. Retrieved December 9, 2017.
- Atwell, Blake (March 24, 2017). "Hard work pays off: The Spencer Freedman story". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved December 9, 2017.
- Gorcey, Ryan (July 8, 2016). "Spencer Freedman Talks Academic Heavyweights". 247Sports.com. Retrieved December 9, 2017.
- Atwell, Blake (March 5, 2017). "CIF SS Open Division player profile: Spencer is not only single but is looking for a committed relationship with anyone that is not pyschoFreedman". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved December 9, 2017.