St John the Baptist's Church, Smallbridge
|St John the Baptist's Church, Smallbridge|
St John the Baptist's Church, Smallbridge, from the northwest
|OS grid reference||SD 914,153|
|Location||Halifax Road, Smallbridge, Rochdale, Greater Manchester|
|Website||St John, Smallbridge|
|Dedication||Saint John the Baptist|
|Heritage designation||Grade II|
|Designated||29 June 1966|
|Materials||Stone, slate roof|
|Parish||Wardle and Smallbridge|
|Vicar(s)||Revd Andrew J. Howell|
St John the Baptist's Church is in Halifax Road, Smallbridge, Rochdale, Greater Manchester, England. It is an active Anglican parish church in the benefice of Wardle and Smallbridge, the deanery of Rochdale, the archdeaconry of Rochdale, and the diocese of Manchester. The church is recorded in the National Heritage List for England as a designated Grade II listed building. It was a Commissioners' church, having received a grant towards its construction from the Church Building Commission.
The church is constructed in ashlar stone with a slate roof. Its architectural style is Gothic Revival. The plan consists of an eight-bay nave with a projection at the west end, and a single-bay chancel with a vestry. The projection at the west end contains three stepped lancet windows with a doorway under the central window. On each side is a low porch. Rising from the gable is a tall bellcote with columns at the corners and louvred bell openings on each side. Above these is a clock face on each side under a gable. On the summit of the bellcote is a finial. In the corners between the projection and the nave are pinnacles with conical roofs and cross finials, and there is a similar pinnacle at the east end. Along the sides of the church, each bay contains a lancet window. The east window has four lights. Inside the church are galleries carried on cast iron columns. Over the chancel arch is a painting of a choir of angels. The furniture is described as "fine and ornately carved timberwork of various dates", and includes pews with poppyheads, and a hooded priest's chair with a misericord. The stained glass includes an 18th-century roundel by William Wailes.
- List of churches in Greater Manchester
- List of Commissioners' churches in Northeast and Northwest England
- St John Baptist, Smallbridge, Church of England, retrieved 19 April 2012
- Saint John The Baptist Church, Rochdale Online, retrieved 19 April 2012
- Historic England, "Church of St John the Baptist, Rochdale (1346261)", National Heritage List for England, retrieved 19 April 2012
- Port, M. H. (2006), 600 New Churches: The Church Building Commission 1818–1856 (2nd ed.), Reading: Spire Books, p. 336, ISBN 978-1-904965-08-4
- Hartwell, Clare; Hyde, Matthew; Pevsner, Nikolaus (2004), Lancashire: Manchester and the South-East, The Buildings of England, New Haven and London: Yale University Press, p. 602, ISBN 0-300-10583-5
- UK CPI inflation numbers based on data available from Gregory Clark (2015), "The Annual RPI and Average Earnings for Britain, 1209 to Present (New Series)" MeasuringWorth.