Mills Hill railway station
|Transit authority||Greater Manchester|
|Classification||DfT category F1|
|Original company||Manchester and Leeds Railway|
|4 July 1839||Original station opened|
|11 August 1842||Closed|
|25 March 1985||Current station opened|
Mills Hill railway station is in the Mills Hill area of Middleton in the Metropolitan Borough of Rochdale, in Greater Manchester, England. The station is 5¾ miles (9 km) north of Manchester Victoria on the Caldervale Line. Mills Hill lies on Middleton's common boundary with Chadderton, and thus serves both communities.
During the temporary closure of the Oldham Loop line for its conversion to Metrolink light rail (2009–12) the station acted as an informal railhead for much of the borough of Oldham.
With an annual patronage of 314,000 entries and exits per year Mills Hill station is the second busiest unstaffed railway station within Transport for Greater Manchester's area. It is due to this fact that TfGM are pushing for funding to be made available to improve accessibility at the station for disabled passengers. The station is second only to Greenfield Railway Station on the prioritized list for this funding.
The original station opened on 4 July 1839 before the completion of the branches to Middleton and Oldham, and closed on 11 August 1842 when these were opened. The current station opened on 25 March 1985 by British Rail at the same point as the original.
Since the May 2018 timetable change, the service pattern here has been completely revamped (though the half-hourly basic frequency remains unaltered). All trains (apart from a small number of weekday peak and late evening workings) run to/from Rochdale only, with passengers for destinations further north having to change there. Southbound trains still run to Manchester Victoria, with most continuing on to Bolton and Blackburn/Clitheroe via Darwen.
|Preceding station||National Rail||Following station|
Caldervale Line or
Line open, station closed
|Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway||Castleton|
Line and station open
Line open, station closed
|Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway||Heywood|
Line closed, station open
- Annual estimated intercity rail passenger usage based on sales of tickets in stated financial year(s) which end or originate at this station from Office of Rail and Road statistics. Methodology may vary year on year.
- Greater Manchester Passenger Transport Executive (30 April 2008), Network Maps: Oldham (PDF), gmpte.com, archived from the original (PDF) on 14 April 2008, retrieved 28 July 2008
- Butt, R.V.J. (1995). The Directory of Railway Stations. Yeovil: Patrick Stephens Ltd. p. 160. ISBN 1-85260-508-1. R508.CS1 maint: ref=harv (link)
- Table 41 National Rail timetable, May 2018
- The Manchester and Leeds Railway by Martin Bairstow
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Mills Hill railway station.|
|Railways in Rochdale|