January 30, 1991 |
Vancouver, BC, CAN
|Height||6 ft 1 in (185 cm)|
|Weight||191 lb (87 kg; 13 st 9 lb)|
|Ak Bars Kazan
|NHL Draft||49th overall, 2009
Stefan Elliott (born January 30, 1991) is a Canadian professional ice hockey defenceman currently under contract with Ak Bars Kazan of the Kontinental Hockey League (KHL). Elliott was born in Vancouver, British Columbia.
Elliott first played junior hockey with the Vancouver North West Giants in the BC Major Midget League, before moving on the Saskatoon Blades of the Western Hockey League. In his first full season with the Blades in 2007–08, Elliott led the defense with 31 assists and 40 points.
In the following 2008–09 season, Elliott's offensive prowess improved to again lead the Blades defense with 15 goals and 55 points. Elliott's intelligence on ice was matched off ice as he was awarded the WHL's and the CHL's Scholastic Player of the Year award. Eligible for the 2009 NHL Entry Draft, he was selected in the second round, 49th overall, by the Colorado Avalanche.
On March 21, 2011, Elliott was signed by the Avalanche to a three-year entry level contract. On April 16, 2011, Elliott was assigned to join the playoff run of the Avalanche's American Hockey League affiliate, the Lake Erie Monsters, on an amateur tryout. In his first full professional season in 2011–12 Elliot was recalled from the Monsters by the Avalanche on November 25, 2011. The following day on November 26, 2011, Elliott scored his first goal in his NHL debut against Devan Dubnyk of the Edmonton Oilers, which proved to be the game winner.
Entering his fourth professional season, Elliott was placed on waivers by the Avalanche on September 29, 2014 before he was re-assigned to the Monsters to begin the 2014–15 campaign. Elliott assumed top pairing responsibilities with the Monsters and responded by leading the club in scoring from the blueline, scoring a franchise high 19 goals with 40 points in 64 games. Elliott was the Monsters selection to the AHL All-Star Game and was recalled by the Avalanche to appear in 5 scoreless games.
As a restricted free agent in the off-season, and unable to secure a NHL role with the Avalanche, on September 9, 2015, his rights were traded to the Arizona Coyotes in exchange for Brandon Gormley. On September 18, 2015, Elliott agreed to a one-year, two-way contract with the Coyotes. In the 2015–16 season, Elliott played 19 games with Arizona before he was placed on waivers by the Coyotes on January 14, 2016. After going unclaimed, Elliott was traded the following day to the Nashville Predators for defenceman Victor Bartley. He was immediately assigned to AHL affiliate, the Milwaukee Admirals.
As a restricted free agent in the off-season with the Predators, Elliott opted to pause his NHL career and with the 2016–17 season underway he signed his first contract abroad on a one-year deal with Ak Bars Kazan of the KHL on September 29, 2016.
Regular season and playoffs
|2006–07||Vancouver NW Giants||BCMM||36||12||19||31||18||—||—||—||—||—|
|2010–11||Lake Erie Monsters||AHL||—||—||—||—||—||5||0||2||2||0|
|2011–12||Lake Erie Monsters||AHL||30||5||9||14||4||—||—||—||—||—|
|2012–13||Lake Erie Monsters||AHL||44||5||8||13||6||—||—||—||—||—|
|2013–14||Lake Erie Monsters||AHL||61||14||14||28||14||—||—||—||—||—|
|2014–15||Lake Erie Monsters||AHL||64||19||21||40||22||—||—||—||—||—|
Awards and honours
|Western Hockey League|
|Daryl K. (Doc) Seaman Trophy||2008–09|||
|CHL Scholastic Player of the Year||2008–09|||
|East First All-Star Team||2010–11|||
|Bill Hunter Memorial Trophy||2010–11|||
|WHL Plus-Minus Award||2010–11|
- National Hockey League (2010). The National Hockey League Official Guide & Record Book/2011. Triumph Books. p. 292. ISBN 978-1-60078-422-4.
- "Avalanche signs Stefan Elliott". Colorado Avalanche. 2011-03-21. Retrieved 2011-04-19.
- "Avalanche gets victory over Edmonton as Elliott stars in debut". Denver Post. 2011-11-26. Retrieved 2011-11-26.
- "Leblanc, Elliott among Monday's notable waivers". NBC Sports. 2014-09-29. Retrieved 2014-10-01.
- "Elliott named to All-Star Game roster". Lake Erie Monsters. 2015-01-06. Retrieved 2015-01-06.
- "Coyotes acquire Stefan Elliott in exchange for Brandon Gormley". Arizona Coyotes. 2015-09-09. Retrieved 2015-09-09.
- "Coyotes sign Elliott to one-year contract". Arizona Coyotes. 2015-09-18. Retrieved 2015-09-18.
- "Coyotes place Stefan Elliott on waivers". AZ Central. 2016-01-14. Retrieved 2016-01-14.
- "Predators trade Victor Bartley to Coyotes for Stefan Elliott, Bartley flipped to Habs". Roger's Sportsnet. 2016-01-15. Retrieved 2016-01-15.
- "Stefan Elliott a new defender for Ak Bars" (in Russian). Ak Bars Kazan. 2016-09-29. Retrieved 2016-09-29.
- "Stefan Elliott profile". Hockeysfuture.com. 2009-10-03. Retrieved 2010-08-09.
- "WHL East All-Stars and Awards finalists". Saskatoon Blades. 2011-03-24. Retrieved 2011-04-19.
- "Elliott named WHL's top defenseman". Colorado Avalanche. 2011-05-04. Retrieved 2011-05-04.