15 April 1954|
Frankfurt am Main
|Alma mater||University of Hamburg|
|Fields||Medicine (pediatrics, neonatology, anesthesiology, bioethics, health professions education)|
Education and career
He graduated as a medical doctor at the University of Hamburg in 1983 and achieved a dr.med. (PhD) degree in neonatology from the University of Oslo in 2002, an MHA in health administration and health economics from the University of Oslo (2006) and an MSc in health professions education from the University of Maastricht (2011). He is double board certified in paediatrics and anaesthesiology. In 2013 he completed a certificate in paediatric bioethics at the Children's Mercy Bioethics Centre in Kansas City, MO </ref>"Utdanning i etikk for barneleger".</ref> During the 80ies he was a resident at Vestfold Hospital Trust, Akershus University Hospital, and Oslo University Hospital, Ullevål (1985–1991). From 1994- 2005 he worked as an attending paediatric anaesthesiologist at Ullevål. He has been a lecturer and research fellow at the Institute of Clinical Medicine at the University of Tromsø (1993) and the Pediatric Research Institute at the University of Oslo (1994-1998). From 2000-2005 he was a senior consultant in paediatric intensive care medicine at Ullevål, heading the department 2001 -2002. From 2005 to 2014 he was an attending neonatologist at Ullevål. He also served with No. 330 Squadron of the Royal Norwegian Air Force in Banak on search and rescue (SAR) and air ambulance missions in northernmost Norway and over the Barents Sea 1993–2005. He was chief physician at the Norwegian Air Ambulance Foundation 2008–2009. From 2014 to 2018 he was an Associate Professor at the International Medical University (IMU) in Kuala Lumpur, and from 2016-2018 the Director of the IMU Centre for Education.
He has formerly been a member and chairman of the Board for Licensing Matters and Foreign Medical Practitioners in Norway (1998–2007), a board member of the Norwegian Society of Pediatricians and editor of its journal Paidos (2009–2014), a member of the Norwegian specialty committee for pediatrics, and a member of the clinical ethics committee at Oslo University Hospital (2012–2014).
His research has focused on neuroscience and neonatology. In particular, he has collaborated with Ola Didrik Saugstad in research on secondary brain injury in newborn infants as a result of perinatal asphyxia and resuscitation with 100% oxygen or normal air, as part of a project initiated by Saugstad that contributed to the amendment of international guidelines for newborn resuscitation. His further research interests include medical ethics and health professions education. He has published papers in Pediatrics, Pediatric Research, Biology of the Neonate, Critical Care Medicine, Pediatric Critical Care Medicine, Thrombosis Research, Acta Paediatrica, Acta Anaesthesiologica Scandinavica, and other journals.
- Kutzsche, S (2018). "John Langdon Down (1828-1896) - a pioneer in caring for mentally disabled patients". Acta Paediatr. doi:10.1111/apa.14505. PMID 30028542.
- Wendel, K; Akkök, ÇA; Kutzsche, S (2017). "Neonatal alloimmune thrombocytopaenia associated with maternal HLA antibodies". BMJ Case Reports. doi:10.1136/bcr-2016-218269. PMID 28679510.
- Kutzsche, S; Kutzsche, H; Dornan, T (2014). "What do paediatric trainees require from their clinical supervisors?". Acta Paediatr. 103 (4): 169–172. doi:10.1111/apa.12534. PMID 24325150.
- Kutzsche, S; Partridge, JC; Leuthner, SR; Lantos, JD (2013). "When Life-Sustaining Treatment Is Withdrawn and the Patient Doesn't Die". Pediatrics. 132 (5): 893–897. doi:10.1542/peds.2013-0413. PMID 24101767.
- Haukland, LU; Kutzsche, S; Hovden, IAH; Stiris, T (2013). "Neonatal seizures with reversible EEG changes after antenatal venlafaxine exposure". Acta Paediatr. 102 (11): 524–526. doi:10.1111/apa.12375. PMID 23909790.
- Kutzsche, S; Sangolt, GK; Schistad, O; Sunde, S (2003). "Severe complications during the management of a child with late presentation of a diaphragmatic hernia". Acta Anaesthesiol. Scand. 47 (10): 1302–4. doi:10.1046/j.1399-6576.2003.00215.x. PMID 14616333.
- Kutzsche, S (2002). Effects of hypoxemia and reoxygenation on cerebral microcirculation, nitric oxide, hydrogen peroxide and excitatory amino acid concentrations. An experimental study in newborn pigs. Oslo: Department of Pediatric Research and Institute for Surgical Research, Rikshospitalet, University of Oslo. ISBN 82-8072-035-9.
- Kutzsche, S; Solås, AB; Lyberg, T; Saugstad, OD (2002). "Nitric oxide synthesis inhibition during cerebral hypoxemia and reoxygenation with 100% oxygen in newborn pigs". Biol. Neonate. 82 (3): 197–206. doi:10.1159/000063613. PMID 12373071.
- Solås, AB; Kutzsche, S; Vinje, M; Saugstad, OD (2001). "Cerebral hypoxemia-ischemia and reoxygenation with 21% or 100% oxygen in newborn piglets: effects on extracellular levels of excitatory amino acids and microcirculation". Pediatr. Crit. Care Med. 2 (4): 340–345. doi:10.1097/00130478-200110000-00011. PMID 12793938.
- Kutzsche, S; Lyberg, T; Bjertnæs, LJ (2001). "Effects of adenosine on extravascular lung water content in endotoxemic pigs". Crit. Care Med. 29 (12): 2371–3276. doi:10.1097/00003246-200112000-00021. PMID 11801842.
- Kutzsche, S; Ilves, P; Kirkeby, OJ; Saugstad, OD (2001). "Hydrogen peroxide production in leukocytes during cerebral hypoxia and reoxygenation with 100% or 21% oxygen in newborn piglets". Pediatr. Res. 49 (6): 834–842. doi:10.1203/00006450-200106000-00020. PMID 11385146.
- Kirkeby, OJ; Kutzsche, S; Risøe, C; Rise, IR (2000). "Cerebral nitric oxide concentration and microcirculation during hypercapnia, hypoxia, and high intracranial pressure in pigs". J. Clin. Neurosci. 7 (6): 531–538. doi:10.1054/jocn.2000.0788. PMID 11029235.
- Kutzsche, S; Schlichting, E; Aspelin, T; Lyberg, T (2000). "Hemodynamic changes and systemic activation of coagulation and fibrinolysis during controlled endotoxemia in pigs". Thromb. Res. 98 (6): 517–529. doi:10.1016/S0049-3848(00)00189-4. PMID 10899351.
- Kutzsche, S; Kirkeby, OJ; Rise, IR; Saugstad, OD (1999). "Effects of hypoxia and reoxygenation with 21% and 100%-oxygen on cerebral nitric oxide concentration and microcirculation in newborn piglets". Biol. Neonate. 76 (3): 153–167. doi:10.1159/000014155. PMID 10460953.
- Meberg, A; Kutzsche, S; Schøyen, R (1987). "Konjunktivitt i tidlig nyfødtperiode. Erfaringer fra en barselavdeling etter opphørt Credé-profylakse [Conjunctivitis in the early neonatal period. Experiences from a maternity ward after cessation of Credé's prophylaxis]". Journal of the Norwegian Medical Association. 107 (30): 2619–20, 2622. PMID 3424295.
- "Stefan Kutzsche". Store Norske Leksikon.
- Larsen, Øivind, ed. (1996). "Kutzsche, Stefan Paus". Norges leger [Physicians of Norway] (in Norwegian). 3. Oslo: Norwegian Medical Association. p. 452. ISBN 82-90921-43-8.
- Larsen, Øivind, ed. (2014). Doktorskole og medisinstudium: Det medisinske fakultet ved Universitetet i Oslo gjennom 200 år (1814–2014). Oslo: Norwegian Medical Society. p. 640. ISBN 978-82-92871-92-8.
- Kutzsche, S (2003). "Oksygen ved fødselsasfyksi". Journal of the Norwegian Medical Association. 123 (11): 1545.
- "The Quality of Internationally Trained Medical Doctors : An empirical study of the skills of internationally trained medical doctors after their authorization in Norway. An approach to aid in the integration of foreign-trained physicians into the Norwegian workforce". University of Oslo. Retrieved 17 August 2015.
- Kutzsche, S (2012). "Pedagogical training for health personnel". Journal of the Norwegian Medical Association. 132 (6): 628. doi:10.4045/tidsskr.12.0112.
- "Godkjente spesialister i barnesykdommer". Norwegian Medical Association. Retrieved 17 August 2015.
- "Godkjente spesialister i anestesiologi". Norwegian Medical Association. Retrieved 17 August 2015.
- Kutzsche, S; Fugelseth, D (2013). "Trygg barseltid for nyfødte barn" (PDF). Journal of the Norwegian Medical Association. 133 (3): 270. doi:10.4045/tidsskr.12.1222.
- "Årsrapport 2005 Banak" (PDF). Finnmark Hospital Trust. Archived from the original (PDF) on 18 August 2015.
- "60 år: Dr.med. Stefan Kutzsche". Aftenposten. 15 April 2014. p. 35.
- "60 år: Dr.med. Stefan Kutzsche". Dagsavisen. 15 April 2014. p. 33.
- "Team to steer uni to greater heights". The Star. 7 February 2016.
- Larsen, Øivind, ed. (2013). "Det medisinske fakultet i Oslo siden 1970-årene – et aktørseminar". Michael Quarterly. Norwegian Medical Society. 10: 219–344. Retrieved 14 August 2015.
- Bjørkhaug, Anders (2014). "Redaktøren". Paidos. Norwegian Society of Pediatricians. 32 (2): 34. Retrieved 14 August 2015.
- "Medlemmer i spesialitetskomiteen for barnesykdommer". Norwegian Medical Association. Archived from the original on 27 October 2013.
- "Klinisk etikk-komité Oslo universitetssykehus, Ullevål og Aker sykehus". University of Oslo. Archived from the original on 27 June 2014.
- Fugelsnes, Elin (19 October 2010). "Kan redde 200 000 nyfødte". forskning.no. Research Council of Norway. Retrieved 14 August 2015.
- Gupta, Sanjay (9 October 2013). "Sad Times, Tough Calls on the Pediatric Service". The Gupta Guide. Archived from the original on 1 December 2014. Retrieved 1 December 2014.
- "Utdanning i etikk for barneleger". Dagens Medisin. 9 September 2013. Retrieved 17 August 2015.
- Publications by Stefan (Paus) Kutzsche in the Norwegian Scientific Index