Stephen Christopher Liu is an American internet entrepreneur, media executive and philanthropist. He is the founder of Privy.net, a private invitation-only social networking site, as well as the founder of the Asian Professional Exchange as well as the National Asian Breast Cancer Initiative.
Liu is the CEO and “Chief Social Capitalist” for Privy.net, an exclusive private social network and online/mobile platform that targets a select group of transpacific executives and influential figures in the US and Asia.
Previously, he Liu founded and was president of Reelplay, a Forbes Top 200 B2B Company. It was one of the early streaming video-enabled B2B digital marketplaces catering to the global film and television distribution industry. At Reelplay, Liu raised nearly $6 million in venture capital from Silicon Valley and Hollywood backers, including Softbank Capital and WaterView Advisors, run by Frank Biondi, Jr. (a former Viacom, Universal Studios and HBO CEO).
Liu founded the Asian Professional Exchange in 1993 in the wake of the 1992 Los Angeles riots. Though there were many organizations that catered to particular Asian ethnicities and their professions, Liu was interested in establishing a pan-Asian organization for young professionals that mentored its members and gave back to the community. Despite initial naysaying, the organization grew. "Above all, I wanted to make sure that the group was inclusive, so that a new person coming into town would feel welcomed," he told Asian Week.
He served as the organization's founding president from 1993 to 1997, and led the organization from conception to one of the largest Asian Pacific American organizations in United States, with over 10,000 members. Liu remains active in the organization and serves as chairman of the board.
In 2010, with Teddy Zee Productions, Liu produced a series of public service announcement videos alongside Teddy Zee (Hitch / Pursuit of Happyness), Adrian Zaw, and George Wang. John Cho, Sandra Oh, Kaba Modern Legacy, Justin Chon, David Choi, and many other celebrities were featured in the announcements, which helped to secure funding for the Center for the Pacific Asian Family (CPAF) through the Chase Community Giving contest. The charity was in the top 20 out of 100 competing charities, creating awareness for issues regarding sexual assault and domestic violence.
His involvement in the entertainment industry also includes a credit as executive producer of the feature documentary film, Yours Truly, Miss Chinatown.
In addition, Liu co-founded The National Asian Breast Cancer Initiative through the Privy Group, the philanthropic arm of Privy.net. It is endorsed by the Asian and Pacific Islander National Cancer Survivors Network and is an official program of the Asian Pacific Community Fund. The initiative was formed to address the cultural, linguistic and genetic challenges that Asian women face related to breast cancer.
Honors and public recognition
His varied accomplishments earned Liu the honor of named “Local Hero” by KCET and UnionBank in 2009 and an “Emerging Leader” by the Asian Pacific Community Fund (APCF) in 2008. He was also recognized by the Boy Scouts of America as a “Distinguished Citizen” and Goldsea as one of the "Top 40 Young Asian American Professionals".
In addition, Liu is an active commentator on luxury marketing to Asian Americans and the media. He has been invited to speak at events such as, the Asian American Advertising Federation (3AF) and the Internet Dating & Dating Industry Conference. He’s also been recognized by the Asian Pacific American Studies School at Loyola Marymount University.
- "Asian Pacific American Heritage Month — Local Hero: Stephen Christopher Liu". KCET.org. Retrieved May 13, 2014.
- "Privy.net, An Exclusive Private Social Network For The Asia-Focused Travelling Jetsetter — Local Hero: Stephen Christopher Liu". TigerStartups.com. Retrieved May 13, 2014.
- "Biondi, Chen tip in for Reelplay financing". ScreenDaily.com. Retrieved May 13, 2014.
- "Stephen Liu: Chairman Of The Board & Ex Officio Director". APEX.org. Retrieved May 13, 2014.
- "The APEX of a New Generation". Asian Week. Retrieved May 13, 2014.
- "Stephen C. Liu". Goldsea.com. Retrieved May 13, 2014.
- "Twilight Star Justin Chon Talks Charity, Eclipse". Wired.com. Retrieved May 13, 2014.
- "CPAF PSA: YouTube All-Stars "United Against Violence"". 8Asians.com. Retrieved May 13, 2014.
- "National Asian Breast Cancer Initiative (NABCI)". Asian Pacific Community Fund. Retrieved May 13, 2014.
- "ASIAN WOMEN DON'T GET BREAST CANCER". AngryAsianMan.com. Retrieved May 13, 2014.
- "SC Times: Asian American Breast Cancer Survivor Says #Asians Get Breast Cancer Too". AsAmNews.com. Retrieved May 13, 2014.
- "Model Minority to Model Consumer". 3af.org. Retrieved May 13, 2014.
- "Internet Dating & Dating Industry Conference (Las Vegas 2014)". Internetdatingconference.com. Retrieved May 13, 2014.