This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (January 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Occupation||Television director, television producer, actor, screenwriter, film director.|
Steve Shill is a British television and film director, actor, screenwriter, and television producer.
He attended Keswick Grammar School in Keswick, Cumbria, England in the 1970s.
After completing the BBC Drama Director's Course he began his television directing career with episodes of EastEnders and Casualty for the BBC. Shill created the idea for Granada TV's Ted and Alice starring Dawn French.
He directed the pilot episode of Showtime's The Tudors and served as a regular director and executive producer throughout the first season. He has also directed episodes of Showtime's Brotherhood and Dexter. Shill directed all eight episodes of Spike TV's The Kill Point mini-series and also served as an executive producer. Shill directed and co-executive produced the 2008 Knight Rider TV movie which served as a pilot for a remake of the series.
Shill has also directed numerous episodes of memorable network programs, including all three programs of the Law & Order series, Night Stalker, Invasion, Commander in Chief, Dragnet, ER and The West Wing.
Shill joined the HBO western drama Deadwood as a director for the first season in 2004. The series was created by David Milch and focused on a growing town in the American West. Shill directed the episode "Jewel's Boot Is Made for Walking". He returned as a director for the second season in 2005 and also wrote an episode. Shill directed the episode "New Money" and wrote and directed the episode "Something Very Expensive". Shill and the writing staff were nominated for a Writers Guild of America Award for Outstanding Drama Series at the February 2006 ceremony for their work on the second season.
He directed the theatrical feature Obsessed starring Idris Elba, Beyoncé Knowles, and Ali Larter. The film opened at number one in the United States of America in April 2009, taking almost $70m at the box office and becoming Screen Gems' second biggest opening weekend in their history.
- HBO. "The Sopranos cast and crew". Retrieved 11 February 2010.
- HBO. "The Wire episode "The Hunt" synopsis". Retrieved 16 February 2010.
- HBO. "The Wire episode "Undertow" synopsis". Retrieved 16 February 2010.
- HBO. "The Wire episode "All Prologue" synopsis". Retrieved 16 February 2010.
- HBO. "The Wire episode "All Due Respect" synopsis". Retrieved 16 February 2010.
- HBO. "Big Love episode "Easter" synopsis". Retrieved 16 February 2010.
- Steve Shill (director), Ricky Jay (writer) (6 June 2004). "Jewel's Boot Is Made for Walking". Deadwood. Season 1. Episode 11. HBO.
- Steve Shill (director), Elizabeth Sarnoff (writer) (20 March 2005). "New Money". Deadwood. Season 2. Episode 3. HBO.
- Steve Shill (director and writer) (10 April 2005). "Something Very Expensive". Deadwood. Season 2. Episode 6. HBO.
- Steve Shill (director), Connie Brinkerhoff (writer) (12 January 2010). "Painkiller". The Good Wife. Season 1. Episode 12. CBS.