|8th County Executive of St. Louis County|
January 1, 2015 – April 29, 2019
|Preceded by||Charlie Dooley|
|Succeeded by||Sam Page|
|Member of the St. Louis County Council from the 6th district|
|Preceded by||John Campisi|
|Succeeded by||Kevin O'Leary|
St. Louis, Missouri
|Spouse(s)||Allison Stenger (m. 2009)|
Julie Stenger (div.)
|Alma mater||Saint Louis University (J.D.)|
University of Missouri (B.Acy.)
Certified Public Accountant
Steven "Steve" Stenger is an American attorney and a former Democratic politician. He served as County Executive of St. Louis County, Missouri from January 2015 to April 2019. He resigned his position in April 2019 after being federally indicted on honest services bribery and mail fraud charges.
Early life and education
Steve Stenger was born in the St. Louis Hills neighborhood located in southwest St. Louis, but was brought up in Affton, Missouri. His father was a union telephone lineman with Southwestern Bell. Steve Stenger graduated from Bishop DuBourg High School and briefly toured as a singer with two local bands, The Stand and The Painted Faces. Stenger then went to University of Missouri-St. Louis and majored in accounting. After that, he became a certified public accountant(CPA) and went to law school at St. Louis University. After law school, he got a job as a lawyer and CPA at Ernst & Young.
Steve Stenger was the prosecuting attorney of a city government from 2005-2008. He was on the St. Louis County Council from 2009 to 2015. He represented the sixth district, which contained about 145,000 people in south St. Louis County. He became Chairman of the Council in 2011. In 2014, he defeated Charlie Dooley, a long-time incumbent, during the Democratic primaries for St Louis County Executive. He proceeded to win the St. Louis County Executive general election, narrowly edging out his Republican opponent Rick Stream.
He took office as St. Louis County Executive in 2015. Stenger announced his resignation on April 29, 2019, after being federally indicted on three counts of honest services bribery and mail fraud.
|Republican||Paul Berry, III||164,675||37|
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2009-01-06. Retrieved 2011-02-06.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- "Animosity marks battle for 6th District seat Incumbent John Campisi and newcomer Steve Stenger got into a shouting match last week at a forum. Each says other is unethical". St. Louis Post Dispatch. October 25, 2008.
- "Current Council Journal - Journal Archives - St. Louis County". www.stlouisco.com.
- "Stenger ousts Dooley in Democratic St. Louis County Executive primary". Fox 2 St Louis. Retrieved 5 November 2014.
- "Stenger triumphs in STL County Executive race". KSDK St Louis. Retrieved 5 November 2014.
- Barker, Jeremy Kohler, Jacob. "'Pay to play' case sinks St. Louis County Executive Steve Stenger". stltoday.com.
| County Executive of St. Louis County