This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Population||13,934 (2011 Ward.Population)|
|OS grid reference|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|Post town||SUTTON COLDFIELD|
Streetly is an area in the county of West Midlands, England which lies around 7 miles (11 km) to the north of Birmingham City Centre. It is uniquely located within the borders of Birmingham, Lichfield and Walsall district authorities, and is part of the West Midlands conurbation. It is adjacent to Sutton Coldfield, New Oscott, Great Barr, Four Oaks, Little Aston and Aldridge.
Streetly is a semi-rural district, lying close to many farms and is separated from Walsall by open fields and the North Birmingham green belt. The local area includes Sutton Park of which Streetly has its own dedicated gate. Streetly is part of the Birmingham Metropolitan Area and the Birmingham Urban Area.
Streetly is named after Icknield Street, a Roman road, of which parts can still be found in Sutton Park. Streetly was a rural area of Staffordshire until the 1960s, when the character of the area became suburban due to the mass construction of modern housing in response to the urbanisation of Birmingham. Streetly was in Aldridge-Brownhills Urban District until the creation of the metropolitan West Midlands County in 1974.
There is one 11–18 secondary school in Streetly, and four primary schools for children aged up to 11 years:
- The Streetly Academy
- Lindens Primary School
- Manor Primary School
- St. Annes Roman Catholic Primary School
- Blackwood Primary School
Since September 1992, pupils transferring from primary schools in Streetly have had the option of transferring to secondary schools in neighbouring Sutton Coldfield (since 1974 part of Birmingham) following that area's reduction in the secondary school age from 12 to 11.
As part of the constituency of Aldridge-Brownhills, Streetly's MP is currently Wendy Morton. Streetly has three councillors at Walsall Council, all three are Conservatives - Brian Douglas-Maul, Suky Samra and Sat Johal.
In 2011 Streetly Cricket Club's First XI won the Warwickshire Cricket League Premier Division, which enabled them to play in the Birmingham and District Cricket League for the very first time in their history in 2012. In 2017 they won the Birmingham League Division 3 title.
Streetly also has a hockey club with four men's and two women's teams, and a lawn bowls club.
- Martin Shaw, British television actor
- Connie Talbot, child singer, who first found fame on the ITV talent series Britain's Got Talent
- Peter Bonetti, former England goalkeeper
- Gabriel Agbonlahor, Aston Villa footballer
- Diane Leather, first woman to run a sub-five-minute mile
- "Walsall Ward population 2011". Retrieved 19 December 2015.
- "Sutton Coldfield (Schools) (Hansard, 21 July 1994)". Hansard.millbanksystems.com. 21 July 1994. Retrieved 17 November 2011.
- Kessel, Anna (14 September 2018). "Diane Leather obituary". The Guardian. ISSN 0261-3077. Retrieved 29 May 2020.