Summer (given name)
Summer, an allegory by Ambrogio Lorenzetti.
|Region of origin||English-speaking countries|
Summer is an English feminine given name of recent coinage derived from the word for the season of summer, the warmest season of the year and a time people generally associate with carefree and fun activities. It's been in common use as a name since at least 1970 in English-speaking countries. Summer, along with other seasonal and nature names, came into fashion as part of the 1960s and 70s counterculture.
The name was the 30th most common name given to girls born in England and Wales in 2011, was the 36th most popular name given to girls born in Scotland in 2011 and the 82nd most popular name for girls born in Northern Ireland in 2011. It was among the 10 most popular names given to baby girls born in 2008 in the Isle of Man. It also ranked as the 40th most popular name for baby girls born in New South Wales, Australia in 2011 and the 51st most popular name for girls born in British Columbia, Canada in 2011. It was the 173rd most popular name for girls born in the United States in 2011. It has ranked among the top 300 names for girls in the United States since 1970 and was the 648th most common name for girls and women in the United States in the 1990 census.
Notable people with the given name include:
- Summer (singer)
- Summer Altice, model
- Summer Bartholomew, winner of the 1975 Miss USA pageant
- Summer Glau, actress
- Summer Lochowicz, volleyball player
- Summer Rae, wrestler
- Summer Sanders, swimmer and sports commentator
- Summer Strallen, actress and musical theatre performer
- Summer Watson, opera singer
- Summer Gleeson, from Batman: The Animated Series
- Summer Hoyland, from Neighbours
- Summer Moran, from Dirk Pitt
- Summer Quinn, from Baywatch
- Summer Roberts, from The O.C.
- Summer Shaw, from Hollyoaks
- Summer Smith, a character from the Adult Swim cartoon Rick and Morty
- Summer Wheatley, from Napoleon Dynamite
- Summer Hathaway, a character in School of Rock
- Summer Hartley, from Definitely, Maybe
- Summer Finn, from (500) Days of Summer
- Summer, one of the characters from the Diva Starz toy line
- Summer Newman, a character from the American soap opera The Young and the Restless
- Summer Hugglemonster, from the Disney Junior TV series Henry Hugglemonster
|This page or section lists people that share the same given name. If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change that link to point directly to the intended article.|