Sumy State University
|Сумський державний університет|
Motto in English
|Qualitative education – secure future|
|Established||1948 as dapertment of Kharkov Polytechnic Institute
1966 as branch of the Kharkiv Polytechnical Institute
1990 as the Sumy physics-technological institute
1993 as Sumy State University
|Rector||Prof. Anatoly V. Vasylyev|
The Sumy State University (SSU) (Ukrainian: Сумський державний університет) is located in Sumy Oblast, in the historical region of Sloboda Ukraine. According to the Webometrics Rating, Sumy State University ranks 6th in worldwide Internet rating among Ukrainian institutes of higher education as of July 2012.
SSU history is closely connected with history of Public Joint Stock Company «Sumy Frunze Machine-Building Science and Production Association». During this period the foundation of Academic and Support Services (ASS) of Moscow Metal Industry Correspondence Institute (Moscow State University of Instrument Engineering and Computer Science) began. Due to the organization of Ukrainian Correspondence Polytechnic Institute (UCPI), ASS became UCPI branch in 1958. On May 1960 Sumy General Technical Faculty on the basis of Ukrainian Correspondence Polytechnic Institute (UCPI) was established. In 1965 Faculty became a branch of Kharkiv Polytechnic Institute (National Technical University "Kharkiv Polytechnic Institute"). In 1966 the educational institution in Sumy was reorganized into a branch of the Kharkiv Polytechnic Institute. In 1990 the branch was renamed the Sumy Institute of Physics and Technology. In 1993 the Sumy Institute of Physics and Technology was awarded the status of State University. In 1993 Sumy State University was founded.
- Faculty of Electronics and Informational Technologies (Faculty ELIT)
- Faculty of Foreign Philology and Social Communication (Humanitarian Faculty)
- Faculty of Technical Systems and Energy Efficient Technologies (Faculty TeSEET)
- Faculty of Economics and Management (FEM)
- Faculty of Skills Upgrading and Pedagogical Innovations
- Faculty of Law
- Department for International Education
- Regional Center of Distance Learning
- Medical Institute of Sumy State University
- The Shostka Institute of Sumy State University
- The Konotop Institute of Sumy State University
- Machine-Building College of Sumy State University
- Ivan Kozhedub Chemical and technological College of Shostka Institute of Sumy State University
- Politechnic School of Konotop Institute of Sumy State University
- Industrial Pedagogical Technical School of Konotop Institute of Sumy State University
The Konotop Institute of the Sumy State University (ki.sumdu.edu.ua)
The Shostka Institute of the Sumy State University (shinst.sumdu.edu.ua)
The Machine-building College of Sumy State University (mk.sumdu.edu.ua)
About 85 Doctors of sciences, more than 535 candidates of sciences, associate Professors work at the university.
13,446 students are enrolled. About 1240 foreign students from almost 50 countries, including the USA, Western Europe, Australia, and all regions of Africa and Asia, are studying at Sumy State University.
SSU is a member of Magna Charta Universitatum, International Association of Universities, European University Association, Eurasian Association of Universities, and the World Health Organization.
It has close international relations with leading university and scientific organizations in Poland, the Czech Republic, Slovakia, Germany, Slovenia and Russia.
Annually SSU carries out about 400 scientific agreements, contracts and carries out over 70 international grants. SSU activity directs to the integration into scientific and education sphere. SSU has about 100 hundred partners and about 1240 foreign students, academic mobility, active scientific development cooperation with foreign universities, associations and funds, program of dual diplomas with European institutions of higher education.
Scientific activity at the Sumy State University is related with:
- Fundamental investigations in physics and mathematics.
- Production and optimization of: innovatory workflows, progressive methods of material processing, automatic lines, equipment, machines and tools for engineering industry.
- Ecological problems of the applied chemistry. Elaboration of progressive technology and equipment for chemical industry.
- Environmental ecological and economic problems and its protection.
- Elaboration of simulators, methods and algorithms of the processes of designing and optimization of complex systems.
- Investigation of immunity peculiarities of children, which live in environmentally unfavorable terrains.
- Popov Vasyl Ivanovych (1948-1960)
- Korol Oleksandr Nykyforovych (1962-1965)
- Inozemtsev Oleh Hnatovych (1965-1966)
- Maliushenko Volodymyr Vasylyovych (1967-1971)
- Movchan Oleksandr Vasylyovych (1971-1972)
- Kovalov Ihor Oleksandrovych (1972-2004)
- Vasylyev Anatoliy Vasylyovych (from 2004)
- Scientific journal Visnyk of Sumy State University
- Journal of Engineering Sciences (JES)
- Journal of Nano- and Electronic Physics (JNEP)
- Journal of Сlinical and Experimental Medical Researches (JC&EMR )
- Philological Treatises («Filologichni Traktaty»)