Sunset High School (Beaverton, Oregon)
|Sunset High School|
|Mailing address only (school is located
within the city of Beaverton, Oregon):
13840 NW Cornell Road
Portland, Oregon, (Washington County) 97229
|School district||Beaverton School District|
|Number of students||2123|
|Color(s)||Purple and white |
|Athletics conference||OSAA 6A-2 Metro League|
|Rival||Westview High School|
|Website||Official school website|
Above: Sunset High School in 2015
Below: The west side of the school in 2009
Sunset High School is a public high school in Beaverton, Oregon, United States. The school currently offers the International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme. It opened in 1959 and is the second-oldest of six high schools in the Beaverton School District. Sunset's athletic teams are known as the Apollos.
Sunset High School is located in the predominantly unincorporated area known as Cedar Mill. Although it has always had a Portland street address, it has never actually been within the city of Portland proper. From 1959 to 1999, the school property was unincorporated land in Washington County, but in 1999 the Sunset High School grounds (including the adjacent swimming pool) were annexed by the city of Beaverton. Nevertheless, as of 2015 the school's mailing address remains a "Portland" address, as is the case for all of Cedar Mill.
As of 2013-14, 59% of students are white, 17% Hispanic or Latino, 15% Asian or Pacific Islander, 2% African American, 1% American Indian, and 7% other. The 2013-14 enrollment was 1,954. The Oregon Report Card overall rating was Level 4.
In 2008, 84% of the school's seniors received a high school diploma. Of 498 students, 409 graduated, 59 dropped out, five received a modified diploma, and 25 were still in high school in 2009.
Over the years, several students have placed highly in prestigious competitions such as the Intel Science Talent Search, the Davidson Fellows Scholarship, the International Model United Nations Association, the Intel International Science and Engineering Fair, the Google Science Fair, the National Speech and Debate Association, the National History Bee and Bowl, and the National Junior Science and Humanities Symposium.
- Brenda Bakke, actress
- Chris Botti, jazz trumpeter
- Brady Clark, Major League Baseball player
- Phil Keisling, Oregon Secretary of State
- L.Joe, member of TeenTop
- Patrick Lachman, rock guitarist, Damageplan
- Christopher Moore, film and television producer
- Patrick O'Hearn, musician, composer, Missing Persons
- E. Werner Reschke, state representative
- Joe Sacco, comics artist and journalist
- Katee Sackhoff, actress, Battlestar Galactica, Longmire, Halloween: Resurrection
- Courtney Taylor-Taylor, lead singer for The Dandy Warhols
- Tommy Thayer, rock guitarist, KISS
- Ali Wallace, Miss Oregon 2015
- Oregon School Activities Association: Sunset High School OSAA. Retrieved November 11, 2011.
- "OSAA Classifications and Districts". OSAA. Retrieved July 15, 2017.
- Morrison, Wilma (December 28, 1958). "Shuffling of Districts, Changing of Curricula Seen for Schools". The Sunday Oregonian, p. 26.
- "School Bell Rings Again; Record Enrollments Expected". The Oregonian, September 6, 1960, p. 29.
- "RFK Draws Youth Cheers". The Oregonian, May 18, 1968, p. 12.
- "Student Mock Convention Hears Kennedy" (photos). The Oregonian, May 18, 1968, Section 2, p. 4.
- City of Beaverton Ordinance 4042, passed March 31, 1999.
- Bruce, Virginia (January 2007). "Beaverton in Cedar Mill". The Cedar Mill News. Retrieved 2010-09-21.
- Blue Ribbon Schools Program, Schools Recognized 1982-1983 Through 1999-2002 (PDF).
- "State releases high school graduation rates". The Oregonian. 2009-06-30. Retrieved 2009-07-01.
- "Oregon dropout rates for 2008". The Oregonian. 2009-06-30. Retrieved 2009-07-01.
- Baker, Jeff (April 30, 2014). "17 actors you (maybe) didn't know were from Oregon". The Oregonian. Portland, Oregon. Retrieved 2016-02-16.
- About Tommy Thayer. Official website of Tommy Thayer. Retrieved 2010-09-21.
- Vondersmith, Jason (August 22, 2013). "Local guitar hero". Portland Tribune. p. B1. Retrieved August 24, 2013.
- Apalategui, Eric (June 30, 2015). "Sunset High grad crowned Miss Oregon". Beaverton Valley Times. Pamplin Media Group. Retrieved July 30, 2015.