Sussex Airport (New Jersey)
|Owner||Sussex Aviation LLC|
|Serves||Sussex, New Jersey|
|Elevation AMSL||421 ft / 128 m|
Sussex Airport (ICAO: KFWN, FAA LID: FWN) is a mile southwest of Sussex in Wantage Township, Sussex County, New Jersey. It is just outside Sussex Borough. The public-use airport is privately owned by Sussex Aviation LLC which purchased it in 2015.
The airport used to host the Sussex Airshow but the previous owner had stopped holding the shows (as of 2009) while he tried to sell the airport. The township of Wantage was then studying the feasibility of purchasing the airport.
Sussex Airport covers 96 acres (39 ha) at an elevation of 421 feet (128 m). Its one runway, 3/21, is 3,499 by 75 feet (1,066 x 23 m). In the year ending June 30, 2018 the airport had 21,160 general aviation aircraft operations, average 58 per day. 73 aircraft were then based at the airport: 86% single-engine, 10% multi-engine, and 4% ultra-light.
- Rwy 3 Threshold displaced 1,100 feet (340 m)
- Rwy 21 Threshold displaced 750 feet (230 m)
- LIRL Non-standard: color. Rwy End lts. missing, displaced threshold lts. missing. Rotating beacon operating intermittently. After 24:00 lights on request by phone.
- RNAV (GPS) Rwy 3 approach published
- VOR-A approach published
- Fuel: 100LL, Jet-A
- Major frame service
- Major powerplant service
- Skydiving school
- Airport diner
- Several small diner restaurants in the Borough and surrounding Wantage Township, one directly adjacent to the airfield.
- Sussex Inn, 9 Main St, Sussex, NJ – 1 mi.
- Shopping and other activities (including Mountain Creek Ski Resort/Waterpark) within 10 miles (16 km) of airport.
Embezzlement of federal funds by former airport owner
In 2009, the airport's former owner, Paul Styger, pleaded guilty to federal charges of embezzlement. This stemmed from his misuse of $378,000 of grant money provided for airport improvements. He faced up to two years in prison. He was eventually convicted, and was ordered to repay the money and was put on probation without getting any prison sentence. Wantage Township officials admittedly knew that Styger was under investigation for embezzlement, but were asked to keep silent by state and federal agencies in an attempt to preserve the integrity of the investigation.
- FAA Airport Master Record for FWN ( PDF). Federal Aviation Administration. Effective 2019-02-28.
- Scruton, Bruce A. (2015-08-15). "New owners tighten security at Sussex Airport". NJHerald.com. New Jersey Herald. Retrieved 2019-03-22.
- Two bidders vie to conduct airport purchase study Archived 2012-04-20 at the Wayback Machine. The Advertiser-News. April 1, 2009.
- Wantage Township Airport Acquisition Feasibility Study 2009
- Great Circle Mapper: KFWN – Sussex, New Jersey – Sussex Airport
- "Owner of Sussex County airport admits embezzling FAA". The Star-Ledger. May 26, 2009.
- Airport owner admits stealing grant money Archived 2012-04-20 at the Wayback Machine. The Advertiser-News. May 27, 2009.
- The truth can now be told Archived 2012-04-20 at the Wayback Machine. The Advertiser-News. June 3, 2009.
- Aerial photo as of 9 March 1991 from USGS The National Map via MSR Maps
- FAA Terminal Procedures for FWN, effective October 8, 2020
- Resources for this airport:
- Airshow Performers 1992–2004
- Video: Daniel Héligoin's Snap Roll on Takeoff – 1987 Airshow
- Video: Daniel Héligoin's Snap Roll on Takeoff – 1987 Airshow – Slow Motion
- The French Connection Airshow at Sussex
- Video: Craig Hosking's Upside-down Landing & Takeoff – 1987 Airshow
- "Formation Flight" poem by Michelle Chaudoin (father Jim was stationed at Sussex)