|Deputy Under Secretary of Defense for Industrial Policy|
July 2001 – July 2005
|President||George W. Bush|
|Preceded by||Jeffrey P. Bialos|
|Succeeded by||William Greenwalt|
|Born||October 6, 1955|
|Residence||Virginia Beach, Virginia|
Randolph-Macon Women's College|
|Service/branch||United States Navy|
|Years of service||1991–2013|
|Unit||U.S. Naval Reserve|
Suzanne Dorothy Patrick (born October 6, 1955) is a retired Navy Commander and a former Deputy Undersecretary of Defense. Patrick, a member of the Democratic Party, ran for Congress in Virginia's 2nd congressional district during the 2014 United States House of Representatives elections.
Personal life and education
Patrick graduated from Randolph-Macon Women's College in 1977, and earned a Master's Degree in national security studies from Georgetown University. Patrick is the fourth generation of her family to serve in the military.
Patrick served in the United States Navy Reserve for 21 years, rising to the rank of Commander. From 2001-2005, she served as Deputy Undersecretary of Defense for industrial policy. She has served as an Aerospace Analyst with Sanford Bernstein, and held senior management positions with Creditanstalt Bank and Ventana Capital Management, LLC. She also founded the hedge fund investment firm New Poland Eagle. She also worked for Secretary of the Navy John Lehman.
2014 congressional election
Patrick ran for Congress in Virginia's 2nd congressional district, challenging incumbent Republican Congressman Scott Rigell. Patrick criticized Rigell for voting for defense cuts as part of the sequester. The Hill reported that she planned to frame herself as a "centrist Democrat."
Patrick was added to the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee’s ‘Red to Blue’ program, which provides additional financial support to candidates. The Rothenberg Political Report ratings show the race leaning Republican.
- Political positions
- Bartel, Bill (August 27, 2013). "Retired reservist Patrick will run against Rigell". The Virginian-Pilot. Retrieved September 6, 2013.
- Jaffe, Alexandra (August 27, 2013). "Former George W. Bush official launches challenge to Rep. Rigell". The Hill. Retrieved September 6, 2013.
- "Ex-naval officer Suzanne Patrick running for Congress in Va". UPI. August 27, 2013. Retrieved September 6, 2013.
- "Suzanne Patrick". Bloomberg Businessweek. Retrieved 6 August 2014.
- "Suzanne Patrick". Bloomberg Businessweek. Retrieved September 6, 2013.
- Sullivan, Sean (Mar 3, 2014). "Women make up majority of DCCC's 'Red to Blue' candidates". Washington Post. Retrieved 13 September 2014.
- "House Ratings". Rothenberg Political Report. September 12, 2014. Archived from the original on October 21, 2014. Retrieved September 13, 2014.
- Cooper, Kent (October 15, 2013). "Pelosi Puts Her Money on a Dozen Candidates". Roll Call. Retrieved September 13, 2014.
- Joseph, Cameron (September 24, 2013). "EMILY's List helping Rigell's opponent". The Hill. Retrieved 6 August 2014.
- Bartel, Bill (August 27, 2013). "Retired reservist Patrick will run against Rigell". Virginian Pilot. Retrieved September 13, 2014.