This biography of a living person relies too much on references to primary sources. (June 2007) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Executive Secretary of the United Nations Economic Commission for Europe|
8 March 2012 – 8 April 2014
|Preceded by||Ján Kubiš|
|Succeeded by||Christian Friis Bach|
|Minister of Foreign Affairs|
9 February 2007 – 10 February 2012
|Prime Minister||Nikola Špirić|
|Preceded by||Mladen Ivanić|
|Succeeded by||Zlatko Lagumdžija|
11 November 1948|
Sarajevo, SFR Yugoslavia
|Citizenship||Bosnia and Herzegovina Croatia|
|Political party||Party for Bosnia and Herzegovina (SBiH)|
|Alma mater||University of Sarajevo|
Sven Alkalaj[pronunciation?] (born 11 November 1948) is a Bosnian diplomat who served as the country's Foreign Minister from 2007 to 2012 under Prime Minister Nikola Špirić. More recently, Alkalaj held the post of Executive Secretary of the United Nations Economic Commission for Europe between 2012 and 2014. Alkalaj is one of the most prominent Bosnian Jews of Sephardic origin and is a longtime member of the Party for Bosnia and Herzegovina (SBiH) led by Haris Silajdžić.
His paternal family emigrated from Spain and settled in Sarajevo hundreds of years ago when they fled the Spanish inquisition. Alkalaj graduated in mechanical engineering from the University of Sarajevo in 1974. He returned to the university in 1987 and earned a degree in economics.
- 1975–1985: Petrolinvest, Commercial Manager in Sarajevo
- 1985–1988: Energoinvest, Regional Manager for Middle and Far East in Sarajevo
- 1988–1994: Energoinvest, Managing Director in Bangkok, Thailand
- 1994–2000: Ambassador of Bosnia and Herzegovina to the United States in Washington, D.C.
- 2000–2004: Ambassador of Bosnia and Herzegovina to the Organization of American States (OAS) in Washington, D.C.
- 2004–2007: Ambassador of Bosnia and Herzegovina to Belgium and Head of Mission of Bosnia and Herzegovina to the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) in Brussels
- 2007–2012: Foreign Minister of Bosnia and Herzegovina
- 2012–2014: Executive Secretary of the United Nations Economic Commission for Europe (UNECE) in Geneva
Alkalaj was charged by prosecutors in a case before the Court of Bosnia and Herzegovina with misconduct in his office as Foreign Minister of Bosnia and Herzegovina related to his "signing off on a cash award of 13,418.59 KM to his then deputy [Mrs] Ana Trišić-Babić for her work at the BiH Council of Ministers NATO coordination team."
- "Ministar VP neće glasati na izborima u Hrvatskoj" (in Croatian). Nacional. 5 November 2007. Retrieved 18 December 2016.
- Rose, Jasmina (30 June 2009). "Bosni je potrebna EU i Amerika" (in Croatian). Deutsche Welle. Retrieved 4 July 2013.
- Perelman, Marc (10 October 2007). "Divided Bosnia Puts Forward a Jewish Face". The Forward. Retrieved 4 July 2013.
- Franklin, Stephen (8 April 1995). "Jews, Muslims Come Together For Bosnia". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved 4 July 2013.
- "Indictment against Sven Alkalaj Confirmed". Cin.ba. 2015-04-14. Retrieved 2016-12-19.
- Official website of the Ministry of Foreign affairs of Bosnia and Herzegovina (in Bosnian) (in English) (in German)