Swamp Thing (song)
|Single by The Grid|
|from the album Evolver|
|Released||23 May 1994|
|Writer(s)||Richard Norris, David Ball|
|The Grid singles chronology|
"Swamp Thing" is a song by the British music group The Grid. It was released on 23 May 1994 as a single, and is included in The Grid's third album Evolver, probably the best-known song on the entire album. The song reached a peak position of number 3 on the list of Top 25 singles in Australia and list of Top 10 singles in the UK in 1994. The song was later sampled in Banjo Thing by Infernal.
"Swamp Thing" is almost completely instrumental, consisting mainly of drums, synthesiser sounds and banjo. The only vocals are Well alright, watch out, Feel alright and I just dig it, only repeated a couple of times. The banjo part was written and performed by Roger Dinsdale, a folk musician who also played the guitar and the mandolin. Dinsdale committed suicide in July 2009.
"Swamp Thing" was accompanied by a music video. The video switches back and forth between two scenes: computer generated imagery of a group of robots dancing to a techno beat, and a blank white landscape with a crawling baby and music synthesiser instruments. The scene with the baby and the instruments also inspired the Evolver album cover art.
- UK CD single
- "Swamp Thing" (Radio Mix) 3:56
- "Swamp Thing" (Southern Comfort Mix) 7:10
- "Swamp Thing" (Deep Dub Piece) 7:10
- "Swamp Thing" (Deep Piece Mix) 8:53
The 12" single omits the 'Radio Mix'. Both the 'Radio Mix' and 'Southern Comfort Mix' are alternative edits of the album mix found on Evolver.
|Austria (Ö3 Austria Top 40)||4|
|Belgium (Ultratop 50 Flanders)||4|
|Canada Dance (RPM)||4|
|Finland (Suomen virallinen lista)||2|
|Germany (Official German Charts)||13|
|Netherlands (Dutch Top 40)||5|
|New Zealand (Recorded Music NZ)||41|
|Switzerland (Schweizer Hitparade)||6|
|UK Singles (The Official Charts Company)||3|
- "ARIA Charts - End Of Year Charts - Top 50 Singles 1994". Australian Recording Industry Association (ARIA). Retrieved 2009-02-21.
- "Official ARIA Charts". Australian Charts Portal. 2009-02-08. Retrieved 2009-02-21.
- "The Official UK Charts Company". Official Charts Company. Retrieved 2 January 2010.
- "Australian-charts.com – The Grid – Swamp Thing". ARIA Top 50 Singles.
- "Austriancharts.at – The Grid – Swamp Thing" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top 40.
- "Ultratop.be – The Grid – Swamp Thing" (in Dutch). Ultratop 50.
- Canada dance peak
- Pennanen, Timo (2006). Sisältää hitin - levyt ja esittäjät Suomen musiikkilistoilla vuodesta 1972 (in Finnish) (1st ed.). Helsinki: Tammi. ISBN 978-951-1-21053-5.
- "Lescharts.com – The Grid – Swamp Thing" (in French). Les classement single.
- "Musicline.de – The Grid Single-Chartverfolgung" (in German). Media Control Charts. PhonoNet GmbH.
- "Nederlandse Top 40 – Grid search results" (in Dutch) Dutch Top 40.
- "Charts.org.nz – The Grid – Swamp Thing". Top 40 Singles.
- "Norwegiancharts.com – The Grid – Swamp Thing". VG-lista.
- "Swedishcharts.com – The Grid – Swamp Thing". Singles Top 100.
- "Swisscharts.com – The Grid – Swamp Thing". Swiss Singles Chart.
|This 1990s Dance/House song-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This 1990s single–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|