Symphony No. 25 (Mozart)
|Symphony in G minor|
|by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart|
Mozart in 1773, portrait by Martin Knoller
The Symphony No. 25 in G minor, K. 183/173dB, was written by the then 17-year-old Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart in October 1773, shortly after the success of his opera seria Lucio Silla. It was supposedly completed in Salzburg on October 5, a mere two days after the completion of his Symphony No. 24, although this remains unsubstantiated. Its first movement is widely known as the opening music in Miloš Forman's film Amadeus.
- Allegro con brio, 4
4 in G minor
- Andante, 2
4 in E-flat major
- Menuetto & Trio, 3
4 in G minor, Trio in G major
- Allegro, 4
4 in G minor
Style and influence
With its wide-leap melodic lines and syncopation, this symphony is characteristic of the Sturm und Drang style. It shares certain features with other Sturm and Drang symphonies of this time, and is likely inspired by Haydn's Symphony No. 39, also in G minor.
The work was first performed in the United States by the Boston Symphony Orchestra on October 27, 1899, under the direction of Wilhelm Gericke. It was not performed again in the U.S. until 1937, when rendered by the Alfred Wallenstein Sinfonietta. John Barbirolli and the New York Philharmonic performed it again in 1941 as part of their centennial season.
- Mozart, Wolfgang Amadeus (2005). Die Sinfonien III. Giglberger, Veronika (preface), Robinson, J. Branford (transl.). Kassel: Bärenreiter. pp. XIII. ISMN M-006-20466-3
- H. C. Robbins Landon, Haydn: Chronicle and Works, 5 vols, (Bloomington and London: Indiana University Press, 1976–) vol. 2, Haydn at Eszterhaza, 1766–1790
- Hall, David (1942). Mozart: Symphony No. 25 in G minor (78rpm album set). John Barbirolli and the Philharmonic-Symphony Orchestra of New York. New York: Columbia Records. MX-217.
- Sinfonie in g KV 183 (173dB): Score and critical report (in German) in the Neue Mozart-Ausgabe
- Symphony No.25 in G minor, K.183/173dB (Mozart, Wolfgang Amadeus): Scores at the International Music Score Library Project (IMSLP)
- Symphony No. 25 (Mozart) at the Mutopia Project (the Allegro con brio movement)
- Symphony No. 25 (Mozart) at the Mutopia Project (the Andante movement)
- Symphony No. 25 in G minor mp3 by the RIAS-Symphonie-Orchester Berlin (1950 recording), Liber Liber