|Origin||London, United Kingdom|
2814 (stylized in fullwidth characters as ２８１４) is an English/American collaborative ambient and vaporwave project of the electronic musicians Telepath テレパシー能力者 (stylized as "t e l e p a t h") and HKE (an abbreviation of the earlier moniker "Hong Kong Express"). The duo are best known for their sophomore album, Birth of a New Day (新しい日の誕生), described by Rolling Stone as "a late night cruise through the cyber-future dream highway."
2814 debuted in 2014 with a self-titled release on the Internet music label, Ailanthus Recordings. The album was followed up in early 2015 by Birth of a New Day, released digitally and in a limited run of CDs on HKE's own label, Dream Catalogue. An Indiegogo campaign later in 2015 to press a double LP record version of the album ended with £6,432 at 161% of its goal. The project released its third album, Rain Temple, in 2016. In 2019 duo released compilation album, Lost Fragments, containing their previous works found in other compilations, as well as new releases.
The project has described their own work as a focus on the surreal qualities of vaporwave rather than 1980s or 1990s aesthetic. In their interview with Rolling Stone, HKE said when describing Birth of a New Day, "We wanted to show how the whole vaporwave vibe could be made as original music rather than just relying on the same muzak and kitsch-pop samples everyone else had been using for years..." Their later album, Rain Temple, was described by HKE as "intense, dramatic and cinematic" and as containing elements of spirituality.
(Birth of a New Day)
|Pillar / New Sun||
- "Interview: Dream Catalogue (HKE, ２８１４)". Tiny Mix Tapes. Retrieved 2019-05-25.
- "10 New Artists You Need to Know: November 2015". Rolling Stone. Retrieved 2016-10-21.
- "２８１４, by ２８１４". Ailanthus Recordings. Retrieved 2016-10-21.
- "Interview: Hong Kong Express - 2814". NeonVice. Archived from the original on 2016-11-04. Retrieved 2016-11-02.
- "Interview: Hong Kong Express - 2814". NEONVICE. Retrieved 2018-04-25.
- "新しい日の誕生, by 2814". Dream Catalogue. Retrieved 2016-10-21.
- "2814 - '新しい日の誕生' on 2xLP, 12 inch vinyl". Indiegogo. Retrieved 2016-11-02.
- "Interview: Dream Catalogue founder HKE". Marcel's Music Journal. Retrieved 2016-11-02.
- "Rain Temple, by 2814". Dream Catalogue. Retrieved 2016-10-21.
- "Dream Catalogue releases "Rain Temple" by 2814". Sunbleach Media. Retrieved 2016-11-02.
- "Vapour Dreams: An interview with HKE of Dream Catalogue and 2814". Neon Dystopia. Retrieved 2016-11-02.
- Bleep. "2814 - Pillar / New Sun. Vinyl EP. Bleep". Bleep. Retrieved 2018-02-04.