Tabb High School
|Tabb High School|
|4431 Big Bethel Road
Yorktown, Virginia 23693
|School type||Public high school|
|School district||York County School Division|
|Color(s)||Black and orange|
|Athletics conference||Virginia High School League
Bay Rivers District
|Rivals||Grafton High School
York High School
Poquoson High School
|Newspaper||The Tiger Times|
|Communities served||Tabb, Virginia|
Tabb High School is a public high school located in Tabb, an unincorporated community in southern York County, Virginia. It is part of the York County School Division. The school opened in 1972 and is located near the site of the first land battle of the US Civil War-the Battle of Big Bethel. Athletic teams compete in the Virginia High School League's AA Bay Rivers District in Region I. Historically, Tabb High School has been known for its football program, which was dominant in the early 1990s and produced two players for the NFL.
Tabb opened in the fall of 1972. It was without a senior class, and did not have a graduation ceremony until the spring of 1974. It was considered quite cutting edge for its time. It had carpeting, movable walls, was air conditioned and contained two large rooms called kivas in which the teacher worked from the lowest level with five ascending rows in front and on either side. The gymnasium floor was made of Tartan, a rubber surface, which was considered unusual for its time. The school opened to rave reviews from students, parents and the architectural community. It helped ease overcrowding in York High School. The original student body was very close, and thrilled to be part of such a unique school. In the summer of 2004, the class of '74 held its 29th reunion. In the spirit of that closeness, they invited the classes of '75 and '76 to participate as well, representing that special bond between each other. Tabb made the play-offs for the first time in 15 years in the '08-'09 football season. The girls field hockey team won the state championship in the '08-'09 season, '09-'10 season, '10-'11 season, and '11-'12 season; leaving with the school with a "four in a row" state championship. They won again in '14 and '15, making six state championship titles in eight seasons.
Accreditation and rankings
Tabb High is fully accredited by the Virginia Department of Education and has been accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools since 1972.  Tabb High was ranked 533rd top public high school in America by Newsweek in 2012. .
- Indoor Track (Boys and Girls)
- Outdoor Track (Boys and Girls)
- Tennis (Boys and Girls)
- Golf (Boys and Girls)
- Cross Country
- Color Guard (Winter Guard)
- Competition Cheer
- Basketball (Boys and Girls)
- Sideline Cheer
- Soccer (Boys and Girls)
- Swimming/Diving (Boys and Girls)
- Field Hockey
- Levar Stoney - Mayor of Richmond Virginia
- Chris Slade - former National Football League linebacker
- Dave Walters - swimmer, world record holder (relay) and 2008 Olympic gold medalist
- Terry Kirby - former National Football League running back
- Wayne Kirby - former Major League Baseball right fielder
- Justin Melton - current Philippine Basketball Association point guard
- Tim Murphy - current morning show host on Star 104 WRTS in Erie, Pennsylvania
The school takes in students from the following elementary schools:
- Bethel Manor
- Mount Vernon
- Coventry (partial)
- Grafton Bethel (partial)
All students zoned to Tabb Middle School are zoned to Tabb High School.
- "Tabb field hockey's 4A state title a dream come true for Tigers' coach Wendy Wilson". Daily Press. Retrieved 2015-11-21.
- "Tabb Overview". Greatschools.net. Retrieved 2007-04-01.
- "School Overview". Southern Association of Colleges and Schools. Archived from the original on 2006-12-29. Retrieved 2007-04-01.
- "America's Best High Schools 2012". Newsweek. Retrieved 2012-05-25.
- "Athletics". Tabb High School. Retrieved 2009-08-26.
- "School Districts". York County GIS. Retrieved 2007-04-01.