Talk:2007 Fiesta Bowl
|2007 Fiesta Bowl received a peer review by Wikipedia editors, which is now archived. It may contain ideas you can use to improve this article.|
|This article is of interest to the following WikiProjects:|
- 1 Red links
- 2 this game may have earned some hyperbole
- 3 Notable college football game?
- 4 Game summary
- 5 Proposal
- 6 Nickname
- 7 God this game was good
- 8 Pat Forde's new article
- 9 Image copyright problem with Image:FiestaBowlLogo.png
- 10 The "Final game facts" section
- 11 Dead link
- 12 Assessment comment
- 13 External links modified
-That problem has now been corrected. WIZARD826 06:35, 2 January 2007 (UTC)
this game may have earned some hyperbole
Seriously, tonight's ESPN SportsCenter College Football Special (~12am CT) had the professional commentators calling this a candidate for one of the greatest bowl games and/or upsets of all time. Hard not to agree, especially if you saw it. --A Good Anon 06:40, 2 January 2007 (UTC)
Notable college football game?
I just noticed that there is a category for "Notable college football games"
As has been noted, virtually everyone is treating this as an instant classic and one of the best football games/finishes ever, so I'm suggesting that this be added to that category (but I wanted to bring it up first before before adding it) FleetAdmiralJ 07:29, 2 January 2007 (UTC)
- With that type of finish, why not. Whammies Were Here (PYLrulz) 09:30, 2 January 2007 (UTC)
Keeping tabs on the post-game reports
Anyone want to sit down and gather all the cites that have major news sources (normally fairly jaded) calling this spectacular? It wouldn't be hard. I'll start:
- Los Angeles Times: "You thought it would never end, but it did, with one of the most gutsy calls and remarkable plays in the history of college football. [. . .] On Monday, Boise State was thrilled to celebrate its greatest football triumphs against one of the giants in the pantheon of college football."
- ESPN's Pat Forde: "At the end of a game unlike any college football has ever witnessed [. . .] The Broncos culminated an unrivaled string of gusto-laden, do-or-die trick plays with one of the oldest in the book, the Statue of Liberty. [. . .] The big picture: The Valley of the Stun was the stage as an indomitable bunch of dreamers in orange pants landed the mightiest populist blow of college football's modern era. [. . .] But beyond the big picture was the delicious, utterly improbable manner in which the Broncos did it. The method was true madness. And true genius. No coaching staff has ever ended a game with so much daring. [. . .] No bowl game has ever ended with circumstances this weird, piled improbably upon one another. When the final plot twist had played out and the final trickeration had worked, Boise State had beaten Oklahoma with a magical mix of determination and imagination. Cinderella joined forces with Lady Liberty. The result was part fairy tale, part American Dream come true."
- Sport Illustrated's Stewart Mandel: "It takes something pretty special to leave a writer at a loss for words. But when Ian Johnson crossed the goal line on his Fiesta Bowl-winning, Statue of Liberty handoff late Monday night, I stood in front of the television speechless for a good, long minute. How do you sum up one of the most remarkable endings any of us will ever be fortunate enough to see? How do you sum up one of the most exciting bowl games ever contested? And how do you sum up what will one day be viewed as one of the most significant moments in the history of college football? I’m not exaggerating. [. . .] All of it combined to produce an indisputable, all-time classic."
- Associated Press I: "[O]ne of the most dramatic finishes in BCS history."
- Associated Press II: "[W]ithout a doubt the greatest sporting triumph in the history of the state of Idaho."
- Yahoo! Sports: "Boise State never believed its trip to the Fiesta Bowl was a once-in-a-lifetime event. [. . .] A once in a lifetime game, indeed."
- New York Times: "[A]n upset that will long resonate in college football lore [. . .] a dizzying, riveting, back-and-forth game that will be remembered as one of the most exciting in college football history."
- Sport Illustrated's Arash Markazi: "Boise State's mind-numbing 43-42 victory over Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl on Monday night had everything and will go down as one of best games in college football history."
Any more? --Bobak 21:24, 2 January 2007 (UTC)
- With these sources, you can toss out some pretty big claims and not worry about being blasted for being POV. Those are all major national sources. --Bobak 21:31, 2 January 2007 (UTC)
Would anybody oppose to shortening the summary to only scores, rather than penalties and such. Ill go ahead and shorten it to such, but if anybody opposes, you can go ahead and discuss with me. Whammies Were Here (PYLrulz) 09:30, 2 January 2007 (UTC)
Should Johnson's proposal be included in a reason the game became an instant classic? While it provided an amazing ending to an already dramatic finish, i dont know if it warrants such recognition in that section (it's already listed in the game's legacy section). WIZARD826 04:37, 8 January 2007 (UTC)
- Eh, I think that whole section violates WP:OR, unless of course it can be cited.--NMajdan•talk 13:22, 8 January 2007 (UTC)
Hey, I'm a Boise State student, and kids here are calling it "Ellis Island", "Hook and Lateral", or just "The Game". So, I just wanted to let you know that those are what kids call it here.—The preceding unsigned comment was added by Dancey2 (talk • contribs).
- Well, unfortunately, inserting a nickname such as one that is only known by a select portion of the population is POV.--NMajdan•talk 01:19, 17 January 2007 (UTC)
- Hasn't appeared in any major media sources I've read. Maybe I should start calling the 2007 Rose Bowl the "Hippo Dance" with my friends and call it a source ;-) Wocka Wocka Wocka! --Bobak 02:17, 17 January 2007 (UTC)
- NMajdan - I think you mean it is POV. I concur with you and Wocka Wocka Fozzie Bear Boback on that - though I am not sure the poster actually expected us to put it in the articel. Johntex\talk 03:23, 17 January 2007 (UTC)
God this game was good
I want this to be a featured article someday. --Savethemooses 07:35, 19 February 2007 (UTC)
Pat Forde's new article
ESPN is having its writers name the best college football games they've ever witnessed, and Pat Forde named this one. We already have one of hits quotes, but this may be worth adding. --Bobak 03:17, 6 June 2007 (UTC)
Image copyright problem with Image:FiestaBowlLogo.png
The image Image:FiestaBowlLogo.png is used in this article under a claim of fair use, but it does not have an adequate explanation for why it meets the requirements for such images when used here. In particular, for each page the image is used on, it must have an explanation linking to that page which explains why it needs to be used on that page. Please check
- That there is a non-free use rationale on the image's description page for the use in this article.
- That this article is linked to from the image description page.
The following images also have this problem:
The "Final game facts" section
This section is turning into a laundry list of all previous and future achievements of non-AQ teams (BCS Busters) in BCS Bowls. This really has nothing to do with the 2007 Fiesta Bowl (except to provide some context) and the edits to this section will never end. If the content is needed, it should be broken out as a separate article, or a subsection of BCS history and cited -- not maintained as a subsection in this article.
I just got done reading the article and I thought the same thing. I originally thought about editing it because of the 2010 Fiesta Bowl, but then thought that it should probably be removed altogether. --BrettxPW (talk) 19:46, 13 January 2010 (UTC)
- I'll give a qualified second to this (almost a year later!). The current bowl season is underway and several of these facts are now out of date. I appreciate the need to provide context to the game's reception, though. How about just modifying it to list the context at the time and immediately afterwards; that way it wouldn't need to be changed every year. Hythlodayalmond (talk) 00:20, 5 January 2011 (UTC)
During several automated bot runs the following external link was found to be unavailable. Please check if the link is in fact down and fix or remove it in that case!
The comment(s) below were originally left at several discussions in past years, these subpages are now deprecated. The comments may be irrelevant or outdated; if so, please feel free to remove this section., and are posted here for posterity. Following
|To get to GA:|
Last edited at 19:11, 30 July 2007 (UTC). Substituted at 05:59, 29 April 2016 (UTC)
Hello fellow Wikipedians,
I have just modified 2 external links on 2007 Fiesta Bowl. Please take a moment to review my edit. If you have any questions, or need the bot to ignore the links, or the page altogether, please visit this simple FaQ for additional information. I made the following changes:
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20060728011353/http://www.big12sports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/072006aaa.html to http://www.big12sports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/072006aaa.html
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20091226023220/http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/collegesports/2003804603_grid25.html to http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/collegesports/2003804603_grid25.html
When you have finished reviewing my changes, you may follow the instructions on the template below to fix any issues with the URLs.
You may set the
|checked=, on this template, to true or failed to let other editors know you reviewed the change. If you find any errors, please use the tools below to fix them or call an editor by setting
|needhelp= to your help request.
- If you have discovered URLs which were erroneously considered dead by the bot, you can report them with this tool.
- If you found an error with any archives or the URLs themselves, you can fix them with this tool.
If you are unable to use these tools, you may set
|needhelp=<your help request> on this template to request help from an experienced user. Please include details about your problem, to help other editors.