From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
WikiProject Ships (Rated C-class)
WikiProject icon This article is within the scope of WikiProject Ships, a project to improve all Ship-related articles. If you would like to help improve this and other articles, please join the project. All interested editors are welcome. To use this banner, please see the full instructions. WikiProject icon
C-Class article C  This article has been rated as C-Class on the project's quality scale.

Adding more information from the West Marine test[edit]

I participated in the West Marine 2006 test, as well as many other anchor tests, and have all of the raw data and graphs. If it is deemed appropriate, I can supply data regarding each individual anchor, the anchors compared, a Google Earth plot of where the test took place, or the strain graphs for each pull. I know this is too much for Wiki, but it could add to the factual information about each anchor style. I also have some information about holding power Vs. scope, but it is not conclusive.

Incidentally, I think that modern yachtsman's anchors should be divided as follows:

Danforth-type (or Lightweight Type); mention conventional steel, high strength steel, and aluminum Bruce-type (Bruce, Claw, Manta) Hinged Plow type (CQR) Non-hinged Plow type; further differentiate those with a plow style (Delta) and a scoop style (Rocna) Others (Bulwagga, XYZ, Box, etc.)

I think it would be interesting to describe how anchor designs are stabilized through ballasting (CQR), inherent design (Bruce, Bulwagga), "flatness" (Danforth), and roll-bar (Rocna, Manson, Wasi).


Chuck Hawley Chuckhawley (talk · contribs) 23:15, November 12 2006 (UTC)

Anchoring is not Anchor[edit]

I think anchoring techniques belong in the seamanship article instead of here.CaptCarlsen (talk) 12:39, 8 April 2011 (UTC)

Without some anchoring you have no anchor... I think the process should be introduced and touched upon here, without getting too in-depth, along with links to good references. (talk) 15:08, 8 December 2013 (UTC)

Bruce anchors[edit]

The article describes Peter Bruce as being "from the Isle of Man." While Bruce Anchors (Scotland) is registered in the Isle of Man, Peter Bruce is actually from Scotland.12 Note that in this US Patent Office document, Bruce's address is given as Edinburgh.

In terms of Bruce anchor's holding power, the Bruce's power-to-weight performance was supposed to have been far better than conventional anchors.2 In this Practical Sailor test, a claw anchor was tested alongside two rollbar ones and, at the test loads used, found to perform as well or better. The testers noted, though, that tests made elsewhere suggested that the claw's ultimate power-to-weight ratio wasn't as good and suggested that users of claws who expected that it was possible that they would be anchoring in extreme conditions should buy larger-sized anchors.

    ←   ZScarpia   01:14, 26 October 2012 (UTC)

Commons category Stockless anchors[edit]

I just created the child cat Stockless anchors, but maybe it was a bad idea. I just saw so many items at the parent cat Anchors. Can cat Stockless anchors sit parallel to, say, Fluke anchors? Isn't the fluke a subset of stockless? Remove the cat? Anyway, a bit of guidance, please. Anna Frodesiak (talk) 00:06, 19 August 2014 (UTC)

"Warps", "Rode"[edit]

There is a section in here that is meaningless in reference to the rest of the article: it goes into great detail as to best rope to be used for "warps", but there is nothing else in the entire article explaining what a "warp" is. It talks about a "rode", and it mentions warping with a kedge anchor, but that's it. I thought perhaps the writer was referring to decent light ropes to use when you're warping, and was just being very unclear about it, but when I tried Googling it, I couldn't find any decent information on "anchor warps". All I find is a bunch of pages selling "anchor warps", or saying "you can use either warp or chain", and one article explaining how you can set an anchor by attaching a tethered buoy to "the warp": in all cases it appears they are referring to the rope which connects the boat to the anchor, which in the rest of the article is referred to as "the rode". I was confused enough by seeing what I'd always heard called the "anchor cable/chain" referred to as a "rode", but then we have this random section calling it a "warp" instead, without the slightest explanation (if indeed, that is what it means). As for "rode", is this really the official term for all vessels, or is this one of those cases where it's actually only used in some cases, but someone wrote the article like that was the term in ALL cases? I mean, is it really called a "rode" officially on a supertanker? Or is that a term usually limited to smaller vessels like sailing vessels and private boats? I've seen more than enough articles where a person familiar with only part of a topic tries to speak as if what he/she knew was representative of the entire subject, when in fact it only applied to a small part of it. I only ask because I've never heard the term before. I've heard of "anchor cables? and "anchor chains", but never a "rode". I read a lot of Patrick O'Brian, and he's famous for being extremely detailed and accurate in his terminology and technology when writing about Naploleonic-era Royal Navy sailing vessels, and he has never used the term "rode" to describe the anchor cable. They always say "cable thick and dry for weighing", etc. He talks about "fouling the anchor cable", etc. I took it upon myself to at least add "(commonly known as an anchor cable or anchor chain)" to make it a little clearer to people, but it would be nice if someone who knows about these things a bit better could state clearly whether or not "rode" is the technical term for all vessels, or if it's more commonly used in smaller vessels, and if "cable" and "chain" are mere popular mis-terminology, or what. AnnaGoFast (talk) 22:04, 18 April 2016 (UTC)

I have to agree with AnnaGoFast that the article is confusing. I'm unsure but I believe that "rode" is US terminology for Anchor Warp. (Careful with the term warp - there also also mooring warps.) But, where I come from, the most common term among recreational sailors is neither - it's anchor line. And I'm also unclear whether, if rope + chain is used, these terms refer only to the rope or to the chain as well. Is there an expert in the house? If not I think the current article sufficiently confusing that I may have at it based upon such understanding as I have. Tony999 (talk) 10:36, 19 July 2016 (UTC)

Herreshoff Anchors[edit]

Herreshoff anchors were developed by Nathaniel Greene Herreshoff, not his younger son L. Francis Herreshoff, though both were famous yacht designers. L. Francis Herreshoff himself attributes the anchor to his father in various of his (L. Francis Herreshoff) books, most notably "The Common Sense Of Yacht Design", itself one of the best known works on yacht design. Further information is available from the Smithsonisn and the Herreshoff museum. John Wicks, October 15th 2016 (talk) 03:57, 15 October 2016 (UTC)