|This article is of interest to the following WikiProjects:|
The vehicle was developed when South Africa had a different flag. Shouldn't that flag be used? Or too controversial? If controversial, does wikipedia stay away from controversy or addresses it? I don't have a strong opinion, just a slight one.Polounit 03:03, 14 July 2007 (UTC)
- Indeed, if you look at the usual convention on Wikipedia, the national flag of the country of origin as it existed at the time is usually used. For example look at the article for the MP-40 sub machinegun. The Nazi era flag is used rather than the current German flag. I've made the change to pre-1994 South African flag as the Casspir was put into service priot to that date.
user:Trench Raider 10:59, 23 March 2011 (CST)
Umm. there is a good reason. The Casspir was developed and went into service under the pre-94 government. The flag currently on the article is historically incorrect. I've seen this sort of small edit before on South African related articles. Are there some folks who go around "scrubbing" wikipedia of any use of the old South African flag?
To head off those who use the excuse that the vehicle is still in service I offer the following. Yes, it's true the Casspir is still in service with the SADF today. But that is meaningless as far as we are concerned. Look at the various articles that relate to WW2 era vehicles and weapons that were produced by the Germans. Even on articles relating to kit that was used by various countires (including the new German armed forces post-war) the flag at the time of initial production is used rather than the current flag. Please don't alter this as it is politically motivated vanadalism to do so. User:Hal Turner fan 0756, 5 March 2012 (CST)
- You seem to be conflating and confusing flags used to illustrate the Origin and flags used to illustrate Users. Please take care about what you are labelling as vandalism. Such accusations should not be made lightly. With all due respect, you've been a registered editor here for about a week. Most of the editors also participating in this discussion have years of experience on WP. Roger (talk) 21:10, 5 March 2013 (UTC)
And I call it as I see it. You should take care about your "your just a newbie and thus don't know anything" comment. It's both insulting and factually incorrect as I have been editing Wiki articles for a number of years as an unregistered user. In any event, might I propose a compromise. The origin of the Casspir is indisputably under the pre-1994 government and thw 1921 flag. Let's use that flag in the "origin" portion of the article and leave the ANC flag for the current user section. Is that better? User:Hal Turner fan 1750, 6 March 2012 (CST)
- Perhaps you should not be editing the flags if you don't know the difference between the ANC flag and the South African flag, or you have a bias in that regard? At any rate, while the origin flag should probably be the old SA flag, the "users" section should probably list both, as I've seen for entries on German equipment used by both Nazi Germany and post-war West Germany. Claidheamhmor (talk) 06:27, 7 March 2013 (UTC)
- Thank you, your "ANC flag" comment has relieved us of the burden of having to AGF with your edits on this article. We're done here. Roger (talk) 07:24, 7 March 2013 (UTC)
Please don't play games. You know what I refer to. "ANC flag" simply meant the flag of the nation under the post 1994 ANC dominated government. I'm very well aware that there is a difference between the flags of the organization and the new national flag of South Africa. In any event, the option proposed by "Claidheamhmor" might be the best solution to this issue. User:Hal Turner fan 1522, 7 March 2012 (CST)
- As stated in the article it was the first manufacturer to mass produce the Casspir after the initial development work by the CSIR. The company still exists and still makes armoured vehicles, though not Casspirs. See http://www.tfm.co.za -- Roger (talk) 18:48, 31 March 2013 (UTC)
Hello fellow Wikipedians,
I have just modified one external link on Casspir. Please take a moment to review my edit. If you have any questions, or need the bot to ignore the links, or the page altogether, please visit this simple FaQ for additional information. I made the following changes:
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20131029201147/http://www.crisisgroup.org/~/media/Files/africa/central-africa/dr-congo/Scramble%20for%20the%20Congo%20Anatomy%20of%20an%20Ugly%20War.pdf to http://www.crisisgroup.org/~/media/Files/africa/central-africa/dr-congo/Scramble%20for%20the%20Congo%20Anatomy%20of%20an%20Ugly%20War.pdf
When you have finished reviewing my changes, please set the checked parameter below to true or failed to let others know (documentation at
You may set the
|checked=, on this template, to true or failed to let other editors know you reviewed the change. If you find any errors, please use the tools below to fix them or call an editor by setting
|needhelp= to your help request.
- If you have discovered URLs which were erroneously considered dead by the bot, you can report them with this tool.
- If you found an error with any archives or the URLs themselves, you can fix them with this tool.
If you are unable to use these tools, you may set
|needhelp=<your help request> on this template to request help from an experienced user. Please include details about your problem, to help other editors.