From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
WikiProject Physics (Rated Stub-class, Mid-importance)
WikiProject icon This article is within the scope of WikiProject Physics, a collaborative effort to improve the coverage of Physics on Wikipedia. If you would like to participate, please visit the project page, where you can join the discussion and see a list of open tasks.
Stub-Class article Stub  This article has been rated as Stub-Class on the project's quality scale.
 Mid  This article has been rated as Mid-importance on the project's importance scale.

"An example is the dichroic prism, used in some camcorders, which uses several coatings to split light into red, green and blue components for recording on separate CCD arrays. This kind of dichroic device does not usually depend on the polarization of the light. The term dichromatic is also used in this sense."

Wouldn't this be "trichoic prism" and "trichromatic"? (talk) 06:50, 27 December 2007 (UTC)

Here the "dichroic" refers to each of the color-splitting dichroic mirrors in the color beamsplitting prism assembly. See here; I didn't find much on "trichroic prism" in books, but some journal articles use that term instead. Dicklyon (talk) 06:50, 27 December 2007 (UTC)

Being well aqcainted with a dichroic materials have different absorption for different polarisations I have been irritated on on the term being used for multilayer devices so I decided to check out. In wikipedia I find it clearly stated that the word dichroic has two distinct meanings, so OK I should not be irritated. But was the term really originally used for the multilayer structures and not the polarisation-anisotropic materials? References are needed!! —Preceding unsigned comment added by (talk) 14:02, 2 June 2010 (UTC)