Talk:Driving licence in the Republic of Ireland
|This article is of interest to the following WikiProjects:|
Driving licence in Ireland → Driving licence in the Republic of Ireland — This article only discusses driving licence in the Republic of Ireland, not Northern Ireland. It is not relevant that the Republic of Ireland is often simply called "Ireland"; "Ireland" normally refers to the island, not the republic, and it is entirely possible that an article could be written about driving licence on the island in general, comparing the two systems. — Neelix (talk) 15:21, 18 April 2009 (UTC)
- Feel free to state your position on the renaming proposal by beginning a new line in this section with
*'''Oppose''', then sign your comment with
~~~~. Since polling is not a substitute for discussion, please explain your reasons, taking into account Wikipedia's naming conventions.
- Oppose - as per reason below.MusicInTheHouse (talk) 15:29, 18 April 2009 (UTC)
- Oppose - the state is not called "Republic of Ireland". --Kiand (talk) 18:54, 21 April 2009 (UTC)
- Oppose and disagree with "'Ireland' normally refers to the island, not the republic". By the way, the ArbCom has decided that no Ireland-related articles should be moved before a solution for the naming dispute is agreed on. Jafeluv (talk) 06:25, 22 April 2009 (UTC)
- Any additional comments:
In response to the reasoning above. The name of the country is not the Republic of Ireland. It's name is Ireland as per its constitution. Republic of Ireland is an inaccurate term. Ireland does not normally refer to the island instead of the country. That is POV. Ireland is the internationally accepted official name of the country. It is also the common name of the country and there is no reason to move the page to a colloquial inaccurate name.
As per WP:IECOLL the Republic of Ireland is soon to be move to Ireland (state) once the process is over and Arbcom have requested that no controversial moves take place regarding the name of the state.MusicInTheHouse (talk) 15:29, 18 April 2009 (UTC)
- It is not POV. When you type "Ireland" into the search bar, the article about the island appears, not the republic. If both were equally notable, Ireland would be a disambiguation page; as it currently stands, the Wikipedia community has recognized the island as being the primary meaning of the term "Ireland". Neelix (talk) 02:18, 19 April 2009 (UTC)
- I'd suggest you the read the Arbcom case that currently being run on this issue. Especially this bit: WT:IECOLL/P#Possible_way_forward which totally counter acts your ideas.MusicInTheHouse (talk) 13:03, 19 April 2009 (UTC)
- Comment. What happens now should not be construed to indicate 1) Any conclusions 2) How it should be 3) How it will be after the very lengthy discussion concludes. 22.214.171.124 (talk) 03:44, 19 April 2009 (UTC)
Introduction of Driving Licence & test?
A relation of mine was telling me that back in the 1960s some time she went into the local county council to get a driving licence because from the next day on everybody would need to pass a test to receive their licence. Does anybody have details on this? 126.96.36.199 (talk) 18:47, 18 December 2010 (UTC)
- There's an Irish Independent article here that goes into detail about the early history of driving tests in Ireland; as per your relative, from the 17th of March, 1964 onwards you had to sit a driving test to get a licence (with some exceptions in 1979). Before that you could just get a driving licence without a test. Cyclonius (talk) 00:01, 19 July 2016 (UTC)
Changes to Driving Licence
Hello fellow Wikipedians,
I have just modified 2 external links on Driving licence in the Republic of Ireland. Please take a moment to review my edit. If you have any questions, or need the bot to ignore the links, or the page altogether, please visit this simple FaQ for additional information. I made the following changes:
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20140227213244/http://www.ndls.ie/Driving-Licence/about-the-licence.html to http://www.ndls.ie/Driving-Licence/about-the-licence.html
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20131021115846/http://www.ndls.ie/Driving-Licence/driving-licence-categories.html to http://www.ndls.ie/Driving-Licence/driving-licence-categories.html
When you have finished reviewing my changes, you may follow the instructions on the template below to fix any issues with the URLs.
You may set the
|checked=, on this template, to true or failed to let other editors know you reviewed the change. If you find any errors, please use the tools below to fix them or call an editor by setting
|needhelp= to your help request.
- If you have discovered URLs which were erroneously considered dead by the bot, you can report them with this tool.
- If you found an error with any archives or the URLs themselves, you can fix them with this tool.
If you are unable to use these tools, you may set
|needhelp=<your help request> on this template to request help from an experienced user. Please include details about your problem, to help other editors.