Talk:Engineer's degree

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
WikiProject Education  
WikiProject icon This article is within the scope of WikiProject Education, a collaborative effort to improve the coverage of education and education-related topics on Wikipedia. If you would like to participate, please visit the project page, where you can join the discussion and see a list of open tasks.
 ???  This article has not yet received a rating on the project's quality scale.
 ???  This article has not yet received a rating on the project's importance scale.

Biomed. Eng.[edit]

I expect there may well be a biomedical engineering Engineer's degree somewhere, but I couldn't find a Engineer's degree program in an moderately extensive Web search. (E.g. MIT has a biomed program, but only with master's and doctorates).

A quick google search revealed a few schools with undergrad Bio-eng programs-
I'm pretty sure there's plenty more. I know University of Pittsburgh has one as well.--YGagarin 02:33, 30 May 2006 (UTC)

That being the case, I have no authoritative source for the correct degree initialism, but BM sounds like only part of the name, as with the degree "master's in biomedical engineering" (M.S.Bm.E.) which I did find, but which is not an Engineer's degree.

Note: A degree with "engineering" in the name is not necessarily an Engineer's degree! E.g. an "bachelor's in electrical engineering" (BSEE) is not an Engineer's degree. Similarly with the MSBmE. Noel (talk) 21:35, 13 Dec 2004 (UTC)

SCU, MIT, and Stanford offer some type of eng. degree. However, I don't see anyone who offers an eng. degree in some variation on biomed. eng. Maybe bioeng. is too new? The eng. degree is something of a holdover. JJL 21:49, 1 June 2006 (UTC)
I've found it really depends upon the institution giving the degree. For example, I'm an engineering student at McGill university, and as far as I'm aware, all engineering degrees offered here will give you an Engineers accreditatation. In any case I don't think biomedical engineering is too new of a field, its been around for at least a little while, but it seems to be quite an uncommon field.--YGagarin 22:53, 1 June 2006 (UTC)
To avoid confusion, the list below the United States section should refer only to degrees within the United States, or the section should talk about degrees within both the United States and Canada.--YGagarin 23:01, 1 June 2006 (UTC)


Five year degree?[edit]

I'm looking at this section:

It might be argued that, because the European high school curriculum covers the topics of the typical U.S. freshman year, the five-year-long Engineer's degree is actually complete equivalent of the U.S. degree.

If someone enters a university having already covered a year's material, and they then complete a 5 year course, they'd have 6 years of university level experience.

Does it take six years to get a degree in an American university?

I ask because most degrees in my country (UK) are three years:- A 6 year course would be more like two degrees than one!

  • In European countries, one must be a technologist in that specific field (sometimes called "technical engineer", "engineering technician" or "field engineer") before being able to enter the two last years. 11:10, 25 September 2005 (UTC)
  • Here in Chile there are two engineer titles, each one with its own specialization: "Ingeniero de ejecución" (something like 'execution engineer'), with a long of 4 years; and "Ingeniero Civil" with a long of 6 years. The first doesn't include an academic degree, the second brings the degree of "Licenciado en Ciencias de la Ingeniería" (something like "Engineering' Science Licenciate"). But here we dont have a two years preparatory like Canadá, students comes to the University after their secondary.
  • I am a Mechanical Engineering student in the US. The program I am enrolled in is a four year program, though most of us plan on four and a half years. Mostly because we've changed our major at least once. 20:37, 8 June 2006 (UTC)
  • In order to be accredited in the US, programs offering a bachelor's degree (not just engineering) must require atleast 120 semester hours (typically four years) including atleast 30 hours of general education courses. For an engineering program to be accredited by ABET, it must require 2 1/2 years of technical courses and a capstone project. Because the curriculum has to meet both sets of requirements, engineering disciplines typically require more credit hours than others programs. Although it's generally quite possible to graduate in 3 or 3 1/2 years, given the difficulty of the material and the popularity of co-op programs among engineering students it isn't unusual for four-year curriculums to stretch into the 5th or sometimes 6th year-- 21:38, 21 July 2006 (UTC)
  • I am not sure about the argument that the TU Delft does not accept the American high school diploma for entry: it does accept the American diploma with AP credits. AP courses are very common in high schools where students are college bound. —Preceding unsigned comment added by (talk) 17:22, 16 November 2008 (UTC)


I have just removed the external links section. It already was, and was becoming a gradually worse, collection of links to particular courses at particular Unis. They added nothing to the encyclopedic discussion of the differing Engineering degrees and were effectively advertising. -Splash 18:38, 21 July 2005 (UTC)

Then remove all the academic links, you conveniently leave MIT's link. That is not the only school offering engineer's degrees. All of the articles on specific institutions (including MIT) are nothing more than advertising written by alumni of those schools promulgating how great is their school, so either let everyone have equal time or remove them all.

A typical bachelor's degree at an American university is 120 credits (that is, semester hours). Engineering is typically more, 130 to 160 credits in 4 years. My alma mater (Stevens Institute of Technology) requires 149-155 credits for the B.Eng. degree. A typical engineering master's degree in the US requires 30 credits, therefore, we took the equivalent of a bacehlor's and master's degree for just the undergraduate course.

I'm not too sure what you mean. I did remove all the external links, and I can't see an internal link to any University in the article at all, as of my last edit. You may be referring to the actual Wikipedia articles on the Universities; they have no impact here. If you think those articles express a point of view, edit them carefully to retain the facts and eliminate the opinion. -Splash 01:33, 22 July 2005 (UTC)
Ah, you mean the link on this talk page. That's quite different. I was only interested in removing them from the article; talk pages are a different matter and only very rarely have material removed from them. -Splash 01:33, 22 July 2005 (UTC)

There is a degree in the US called "Bachelor of Engineering". I got one at the SUNY Maritime College. It required approximately 164 undergraduate credits. The program ran 4 calendar years with limited summer and winter breaks. —Preceding unsigned comment added by (talk) 14:09, 12 March 2010 (UTC)

Professional Engineer, P.E.[edit]

Here in the United States we have a degree (conferred after so many years in an engineering industry and after taking the exam) you become a Professional Engineer. Most PE's highest education level is a Master's in Science or Engineering. They can put P.E. as their title. Thoughts? --ProdigySportsman 00:38, 20 October 2006 (UTC)

That isn't a degree. It's a govt. license. The two aren't related. JJL 02:25, 20 October 2006 (UTC)
The section in the article regarding engineering degrees in Canada seemed to have been written by someone under the same misconception. P.Eng is a title, not a degree... Canadian engineers generally have at least a B.Sc in engineering. —Preceding unsigned comment added by (talk) 20:24, 3 May 2010 (UTC)
Professional Engineer (Pr.Eng) is a status in South Africa as well. It is not a degree but rather a Professional Certification issued by the Engineering Council of your said country to say that you 'are competent' as an Engineer. Companies require this as in terms of South African law only a Pr.Eng can sign off on projects for example. The equivalent of this in many other other countries is the 'Chartered Engineer' Certification. — Preceding unsigned comment added by (talk) 11:03, 14 July 2011 (UTC)

Engineer's degree holders using MSc[edit]

A German-style engineer's degree is considered equivalent to a MSc degree in U.S. or UK and in international context, the holders of the Engineer's degree are authorized to use MSc.

Authorized by whom? Miguelrj 06:42, 17 June 2007 (UTC)

It probably means that the university translates the name of the degree to Master of Science in Engineering. --Vuo 08:13, 21 July 2007 (UTC)

Rename page[edit]

The proper term is Engineer degree not engineer's degree, this title is misleading and possibly the source of some confusion. I suggest changing the page title to "Engineer Degree" and merge with the existing "Engineer (degree)" page. Granite07 18:13, 20 July 2007 (UTC)

I think that leaving off the "'s" is probably better. But...leaving aside whether it's U.S.-centric, SCU has it both ways [1], for example. It isn't as consistent as one might hope, but I think Engineer degree is more precise if less common in everyday speech. I'd rather see the other page and this one redirect to Engineer degree. The current content of that page is very Caltech-centered. JJL 19:42, 20 July 2007 (UTC)

Translations in different countries[edit]

In Poland Engineer's degree is translated into Bachelor's_degree--Teodozjan (talk) 11:39, 13 December 2008 (UTC)

Latin America. Not a good description of an Engineer[edit]

The article mentions Latin American education in a very misleading way. The way it is worded may apply to some South American countries, and I may add, only some old programs in those countries. It definitely does not reflect modern education in all countries, so as to treat them all in the banner of Latin America.

A few examples:

For an average terminal engineering degree, the credit courses to be completed exceeds the 220 without taking in consideration research hours', making an "ingeniería" one of the most extensive careers. It usually takes a time frame of 5 to 6 years, depending of the field, the completion of the curriculum after which the student is entitled to present the thesis plan. This thesis is advised normally by two university professors and could be research oriented or focused on the application of the field into a project of university interest. The thesis project can take in some cases up to 3 years to be completed.

This evidently only refers to a certain program in a certain country, not a Latin American view.

Together with the degree of "físico" (physicist) and "matemático" (mathematician), a degree of "ingeniero" (engineer) in most Latin American countries, is the highest achievement in an engineering field.

Exactly what is the source of this statement? What country is it describing?

Magister's (master's) degrees are usually conferred in business administration (MBA) and in social sciences while doctorate degrees are traditionally granted only to medicine and law (i.e. Doctor en Medicina (M.D). and Doctor en Jurisprudencia (J.D)).

Wrong. In Mexico at least, education since the 1950s has always been structured in similar fashion to the United States. It consists of a bachelor's, a master's and a doctorate. I feel there is confusion in the use of the word "doctor". People who graduate as Medical Doctors, in fact don't have a doctorate, they just obtained their first university degree. Of course, given the intense training they receive (on average 6 years), their degree could easily be equivalent to a Bachelor's and Master's degree combined (4+2 years).

Therefore, the requirement to be accepted into academia as a full professor or researcher of an engineering department in polytechnic institutes or universities in Latin America is the diploma of "Ingeniero", which can be assumed as the Ph.D. requirement for tenure track positions in American institutions.

Wrong. It is a fact that Latin American countries are not very technically developed, so it is understandable that a tenured professor could only have a lower degree, specially old professors. However, as countries develop, professors are required to have a Master's degree and a Doctorate.

While a Ph.D. degree was born as a terminal diploma in countries with English based scheme like U.K, United States, Australia, India and some Caribbean Islands, the "ingeniero" degree was created as the top of an engineering career in Latin American countries and Spain.

Wrong. In Mexico, the degrees of Master and Doctor in engineering, have long been established.

However, the general conception in the U.S.A. academia in regard to engineers who came from universities in Latin America to conduct research at a graduate level, is that they hold a bachelors of engineering degree due to misconception of the word "Ingeniero" (engineer) in addition to the fact that there is not a regulated path to convert their diplomas to a post-master degree. This issue represents an obstacle for Latin America engineers in improving their careers in American or European academia due to the common practice of accepting them into graduate school as bachelors of engineering, adding up more time for them to obtain Ph.D or post-doctoral opportunities.

Again, this does not represents a world view.

Certainly today, the year 2010, many Latin American countries have converted their degrees to conform to the Bologna process, perhaps not explicitly, but practically. This means that it's perfectly common to undertake foreign education following a clearly defined steps at the bachelor's, master's and doctoral levels.

Evidently, the person who wrote this wrote it out of personal experience and without consideration for verifiable information across all Latin American countries.--- (talk) 22:14, 20 October 2010 (UTC)

Concerning the education in Latin America, the article does not differentiate between the education provided in the different Latin American countries, the different programmes offered and their programmatic contents. It seems that the writer of this article just provided his/her personal opinion about the topic with no verifiable information about his/her statements. Most of the Engineer titles offered by respectable Latin American Universities (normally 5 years studies plus a graduation thesis) are equivalent to their European counter parts and this can be proved by just investigating and comparing the programmatic contents of both programs.— Preceding unsigned comment added by (talkcontribs) 00:20, 19 November 2011 (UTC)

Most of the engineers are not perfect for their field.

Proposed merge with Diploma of Associate Engineering[edit]

This article does not present a worldview of the topic. It would make more sense to include it in the Pakistan section of engineer's degree. Tchaliburton (talk) 19:48, 22 November 2014 (UTC)

I think an easier solution would be to simply add all the relevant, sourced content from Diploma of Associate Engineering into the Pakistan Section and then nominate Diploma of Associate Engineering for deletion. Myopia123 (talk) 19:51, 22 November 2014 (UTC)

Link showing no content[edit]

Link number 10 "National systems of engineering education, QA and accreditation", TREE – Teaching and Research in Engineering in Europe

shows no document. I have found the document here:

The host of the link is no more a university as it was the case with Università degli Studi di Firenze

Maybe the content is simply down for some reason. If it still shows nothing in a few days please replace for the one I gave. Thanks — Preceding unsigned comment added by 2A02:908:F320:F000:60D5:754C:7E68:F4E4 (talk) 20:57, 17 March 2016 (UTC)