|This is the talk page for discussing improvements to the GiFT article.
This is not a forum for general discussion of the article's subject.
|WikiProject Free Software / Software / Computing|
Is giFT still maintained, or is it dead? There haven't been any new releases in a *long* time...
"giFT currently lacks unicode support included, so it is impossible to share files with characters such as "ø","ä", "å", "é", "è", "ó", "ö", "ù", "ü" in their names."
AFAIK, accented Latin characters such as "ø","ä", "å", "é", "è", "ó", "ö", etc., are already included in ISO-8859-1(read: 8-bit extended ASCII), and therefore have never required Unicode support to be displayed correctly. Unless you meant that GiFT was designed so badly that could handle only 100%-pure-ASCII filenames. KSM-2501ZX, IP address:= 18.104.22.168 16:31, 16 June 2007 (UTC)
- How is remote-side supposed to know which character encoding the other peer uses? That would require negotiation with each single peer and support for numerous character encodings. ISO-8859-1 covers only Latin-1. The above characters are just examples anyway. Arabic, Japanese, Cyrillic wouldn't work at all unless maybe all peers stick to the same encoding. That's why modern file-sharing networks use Unicode whereas olders didn't give a damn, only worked for ASCII or some other subsets. --22.214.171.124 12:30, 6 September 2007 (UTC)
Merge front-end articles here
- How much of this article do you want taken up by separate frontends, screen captures and data found in the 'Infobox Software' section of the applications that currently have articles. I'm willing to admit that most probably arent notable enough for articles themselves but i believe that the information is useful. MrMacMan Talk 09:40, 15 January 2010 (UTC)
File:Poisoned screenshot.png Nominated for speedy Deletion
An image used in this article, File:Poisoned screenshot.png, has been nominated for speedy deletion for the following reason: Wikipedia files with no non-free use rationale as of 9 December 2011
Don't panic; you should have time to contest the deletion (although please review deletion guidelines before doing so). The best way to contest this form of deletion is by posting on the image talk page.
Hello fellow Wikipedians,
I have just modified one external link on GiFT. Please take a moment to review my edit. If you have any questions, or need the bot to ignore the links, or the page altogether, please visit this simple FaQ for additional information. I made the following changes:
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20110927104419/http://www.zeropaid.com/news/1038/gift_internet_file_transfer/ to http://www.zeropaid.com/news/1038/gift_internet_file_transfer/
When you have finished reviewing my changes, you may follow the instructions on the template below to fix any issues with the URLs.
You may set the
|checked=, on this template, to true or failed to let other editors know you reviewed the change. If you find any errors, please use the tools below to fix them or call an editor by setting
|needhelp= to your help request.
- If you have discovered URLs which were erroneously considered dead by the bot, you can report them with this tool.
- If you found an error with any archives or the URLs themselves, you can fix them with this tool.
If you are unable to use these tools, you may set
|needhelp=<your help request> on this template to request help from an experienced user. Please include details about your problem, to help other editors.