Talk:Index of phonetics articles

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
WikiProject Indexes
WikiProject icon This alphabetical index of Wikipedia articles falls within the scope of the WikiProject Indexes. This is a collaborative effort to create, maintain, and improve alphabetical indexes on Wikipedia.


say, aren't all of the 'ejective' phone articles actually descriptions of 'voiced ingressive' phones? I thought ejectives were written as C + apostrophe, eg p', t', k'... ?? user:pgdudda

Hi. No, ejectives use a glottalic egressive airstream mechanism. The larynx with closed glottis is pushed upward by the throat muscles compressing the air the oral cavity. So, the air is pushed outward (i.e., egressive). You can check this in a mirror & with a hand in front of your mouth (in English, emphasized sentence/utterance-final words that end in a voiceless stop, esp. /k/, are pronounced as ejective stops, as in ’leak' /lik/.) I think it may be impossible to push air out with partially open vocal folds (i.e., voiced). (Ladefoged says, "unlikely".) Even if it is possible, it is definitely not common for ejectives to be voiced. (Of the few languages that are said to have them, Ladefoged says they are misnamed.)
Glottalic ingressive sounds are implosives. They may be voiced or voiceless, but voiceless implosives are hard to produce & are rather rare (it was thought impossible before, but there are voiceless implosives in Owerri Igbo, Uzere, Lendu, and Mayan languages). As you might have guessed in these sounds the larynx is lowered, causing a decrease in air pressure & sucking air inwards.
Ish ishwar 16:03, 29 Nov 2004 (UTC)
Oh, then the articles must've been fixed since the last time I looked. Because they were describing voiced ingressives instead of ejectives (which are, almost by definition, voiceless). Thanks! pgdudda 20:08, 29 Nov 2004 (UTC)


The article on palatalisation refers to the transormation of sounds in the history of languages. It should also discribe its meaning in phonetics. I'm not able to do it myself. The same link with the same intended meaning is in IPA in Unicode.


To do: mark every one of these as Category:Phonetics. -- The Anome 11:28, 17 Jul 2004 (UTC)

Some things should be in one of the subcategories instead. The subcategories are:

Red links[edit]

I wrote articles for the only remaining red links I found here today: checked vowel, free vowel (both of which redirect to a single article checked and free vowels since it doesn't make sense to discuss them separately), and palatal ejective. But if anyone can add a png image and an ogg file to complete the IPA infobox there, that would be great! --Angr/tɔk tə mi 14:26, 14 July 2005 (UTC)

Articles about filler sounds[edit]

I'm not familiar with the field of phonetics but would the Clitic, Interjection, Speech disfluency and Filler (linguistics) articles be valid for this list? I had been trying to find what you call the "uh, ah, um, er" style filler sounds people often use when speaking. --Marc Kupper|talk 20:46, 3 February 2011 (UTC)

Article or category?[edit]

Shouldn't this be a category (say, Category:Phonetics) instead of an article? — Loadmaster (talk) 22:26, 16 May 2012 (UTC)

Or a portal... --LoStrangolatore (talk) 15:49, 6 June 2012 (UTC)

Aspect of articulation[edit]

There is an entry in red for "aspect of articulation". Can anyone tell me where this term has come from? i have never heard of it. — Preceding unsigned comment added by RoachPeter (talkcontribs) 19:37, 3 January 2013 (UTC)

Apologies - I have now found the term being used in J. Laver's book 'Phonetics'. I'd be happy to write up a brief summary to cover this topic, but it would be a one-reference article. RoachPeter (talk) 16:41, 8 February 2013 (UTC)