Talk:John Paul Jones Arena
|This article is of interest to the following WikiProjects:|
- From what I understand, I think it's named after the father of the guy who donated the money for the arena, who just coincidentally had the same name as the Navy guy and the bassist. --MessengerAtLWU 14:30, 31 January 2006 (UTC)
- That's mostly correct, the father of the guy who donated money to the arena has the name "John Paul Jones" and he played for the UVa basketball team back in the 1930's --eaglescout1984 01:51, 19 June 2006 (GMT)
maybe this should be mentioned in the article? Paul Tudor Jones, who is a billionaire futures trader and has his own wikipedia article, is the guy who donated 40 million.
Funny; ever since this was announced, people have been making jokes about naming an arena after (the admiteddly great) musician John Paul Jones. I keep instructing them on the history of our fine nation, pointing out that it is clearly named after the naval captain John Paul Jones. Turns out I was wrong the whole time. How about that.... weird, wild stuff. Anyway, mighty fine arena you Hoos have built for yourselves. NCSUPiMaster
Design and Construction (un-cited material)
In the interest of truth and keeping with Wikipedia's policies, here is a section of the article which had no sources, but is true. If anyone would care to find the sources for it, be my guest.
"The arena is in a U shape with the top closed. The curved western end is the main entrance and ticket sales office. The locker rooms, sports medicine facility and event support are located on the first floor or "event level." Access to suites and lower level seating, concessions, bathrooms and VIP lounges is located on the second floor or the "lower concourse," while higher level seating, concessions, bathrooms and the ticket office are via the third floor "upper concourse," which is actually at ground level from the parking lot and garage. The arena features a custom designed steel roof support structure. The pieces were manufactured in San Angelo, Texas and shipped by trucks to the site. Some pieces were so large and heavy, it took two large cranes to hoist them in place. The arena is being outfitted with the latest in lighting and audio/video technologies, including four 16 ft by 9 ft (4.9 by 2.7 m) LED screens for game replay. The video control room within the arena also serves as a production hub via fiber-optics for nearby Klöckner Stadium and Davenport Field. Total cost of the audio/video system exceeds $7 million. A 900-car parking garage was simultaneously constructed next to the arena, mainly for VIP and donor parking. A double-story pedestrian walkway links the arena to the parking garage. A separate mechanical plant is part of the parking lot structure and provides heating and cooling functions. The arena was designed by VMDO Architects and Ellerbe Becket, and the general contractor was Barton Malow. Work began in April 2003, which included the demolition of a parking lot that served University Hall. The arena celebrated its topping off on June 22, 2005. Most of the arena was given its certificate of occupancy on June 16, 2006. The parking garage was inspected and passed on July 15, 2006. The locker rooms, practice courts and the sports medicine facility were inspected and passed August 4, 2006. One man died during construction, the result of a heart attack."
Hello fellow Wikipedians,
I have just modified 3 external links on John Paul Jones Arena. Please take a moment to review my edit. If you have any questions, or need the bot to ignore the links, or the page altogether, please visit this simple FaQ for additional information. I made the following changes:
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20060719222549/http://www.johnpauljonesarena.com/event_images/SMG%20JPJ%20Arena%20Open%20House%20Release%20Final.pdf to http://www.johnpauljonesarena.com/event_images/SMG%20JPJ%20Arena%20Open%20House%20Release%20Final.pdf
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20100105032405/http://www.pbrnow.com/competition/bfts/2010/index.cfm?id=3263 to http://www.pbrnow.com/competition/bfts/2010/index.cfm?id=3263
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20060118033207/http://www.virginiaathleticsfoundation.com/JPJArenaDrive.htm to http://www.virginiaathleticsfoundation.com/JPJArenaDrive.htm
When you have finished reviewing my changes, you may follow the instructions on the template below to fix any issues with the URLs.
You may set the
|checked=, on this template, to true or failed to let other editors know you reviewed the change. If you find any errors, please use the tools below to fix them or call an editor by setting
|needhelp= to your help request.
- If you have discovered URLs which were erroneously considered dead by the bot, you can report them with this tool.
- If you found an error with any archives or the URLs themselves, you can fix them with this tool.
If you are unable to use these tools, you may set
|needhelp=<your help request> on this template to request help from an experienced user. Please include details about your problem, to help other editors.