Talk:La Porte, Indiana
|This article is of interest to the following WikiProjects:|
La Porte redirects here. Is the correct spelling La Porte or LaPorte?--188.8.131.52 20:39, 29 September 2005 (UTC)
- The usual spelling I've seen is "LaPorte" (for this particular town's name). Anthony Dean 01:30, 30 September 2005 (UTC)
It is spelled LaPorte
I spent the first 20 years of my life in La Porte and I can tell you for certain that it is spelled "La Porte" with a space, as evidenced by the city's own website at http://www.ci.la-porte.in.us/
The LaPorte Herald-Argus refers to the city as "LaPorte," as does the city's chamber of commerce, historical society, the Associated Press and the county of LaPorte (http://www.laportecounty.net/information.html).
The State of Indiana web page (www.in.gov) also shows LaPorte spelled without the space. Fact is, this is a debate being won by those who want to spell it "LaPorte." The spelling "La Porte" with a space has turned into an anachronism.
I've lived in LaPorte my entire 17 years and... we've always spelled it "LaPorte". Ryan Magley 03:09, 11 January 2007 (UTC)
- They called it "La Porte" back when I lived there during my childhood, for about the same duration. (It had a space officially during my tenure of the La Porte Hi-Times student newspaper, at any rate.) I say let's settle this by swordfight. --ItsWalky! 02:30, 13 March 2007 (UTC)
- Also, it's totally awesome that I'm considered a famous resident. --ItsWalky! 02:32, 13 March 2007 (UTC)
Huh? Why is the author of some mediocre webcomic listed as a "noteworthy resident"? I'e never even HEARD of this webcomic!
- Yes you have. (Your editing history kinda gives it away.) --ItsWalky! 06:04, 15 March 2007 (UTC)
- Well, it was fun while it lasted. --ItsWalky! 01:35, 11 October 2007 (UTC)
- The daily newspaper in La Porte (The Herald-Argus) recently made the decision to uniformly spell the name of the city as 'La Porte' with a space. Spelling it as 'LaPorte' leads to much confusion and a natural progression to 'Laporte' which is universally agreed as not an acceptable way to spell the name. Let me explain the progression: 'LaPorte' becomes 'LAPORTE' when written in upper case, which in turn becomes the unacceptable 'Laporte' when translated back into lower case. Providing a space between 'La' and 'Porte' generally prevents the confusion.--Bennycat 21:19, 10 August 2007 (UTC)
The official website for the city of La Porte http://www.cityoflaporte.com/ recognizes the spelling as La Porte as does the local news paper. Also any map I have ever seen has had La Porte and not Laporte. The meaning comes from a french word which also has the space between it La and porte meaning "the door." Most if not all public official places recognize the name with the space and it should be left alone. Jascar (talk) 22:01, 24 July 2008 (UTC)
Wiki needs some love
I have been updating the wiki to the best of my ability. La Porte's wiki is in a sad state when compared to wikis of other towns. So much more information could be added. Please help expand. — Preceding unsigned comment added by Bmk812 (talk • contribs) 09:33, 3 March 2014 (UTC)
- It's great that you're adding information and have an interest in the La Porte wikipedia page, but some of the material reads like a tourism brochure, which is not appropriate for an encyclopedia. — Preceding unsigned comment added by 184.108.40.206 (talk) 12:44, 12 April 2014 (UTC)