|This is the talk page for discussing improvements to the MacGyver article.
This is not a forum for general discussion of the article's subject.
|WikiProject Television||(Rated B-class, Mid-importance)|
The verb MacGyver
The verb was actually used in the very first episode of Stargate SG-1. I believe Samanthas words were "...... to macgyver it" about some artefact. —Preceding unsigned comment added by 184.108.40.206 (talk) 00:17, 19 April 2009 (UTC)
- This may have already been mentioned on the "MacGyver in Popular Culture" article. If not, you could add it to that rather than to this article directly, but I think accurate information would be needed before that is done (if in fact it was the first episode, a direct quote, etc). -- 15:15, 22 April 2009 (UTC)
I'm such a nerd for knowing this, but the exact words were "It took us 15 years and three supercomputers to MacGyver a system..." I've watched that system more than I'd care to admit. —Preceding unsigned comment added by 220.127.116.11 (talk) 05:17, 26 April 2009 (UTC)
Then it's obviously used wrong. MacGyver never needed 15 years for anything and never used supercomputers. It violates the defining characteristics of MacGyver, except one. — Preceding unsigned comment added by 18.104.22.168 (talk) 23:43, 27 December 2014 (UTC)
Removed cable station
I recently removed an edit to the article listing a cable station that the show currently appears on:
"MacGyver now airs on the Sleuth Cable Network."
I didn't think this kind of information was necessary in the location it appeared, or the article in general. There are several stations the show currently airs on, but I think a list of information like that should be avoided. If someone thinks that the information above deserves to be in the article, then by all means add it in an appropriate place. --04:00, 5 May 2009 (UTC)
MacGyver episodes are available on YouTube now (officially, with ads) for free. I'm not sure if this should be mentioned or not, but it's neat. What do others think? See here --Gavintlgold (talk) 06:57, 18 June 2009 (UTC)
- I agree. The section titled "Syndication, cancellation, and future" is probably a perfect place to incorporate that kind of information. The online CBS episodes should be mentioned as the new format for syndication of the show." -- 23:41, 19 July 2009 (UTC)
Hollywood North in legacy
At least, I think it would be legacy where this would go; I'm pretty sure it's citable in film-history books/ articles about the biz in Vancouver; that MacGyver was one of the key foundations of what grew into Hollywood North (and not just Richard Dean Anderson is involved in Stargate). There were other series in Vancouver before or around this time - Wiseguy - and assorted features; but MacGyver was a proving-ground for series production/marketing in Vancouver and helped spawn the technical and professional core that grew into what "Hollywood North", so-called, is today (that term in Vancouver means the local industry, not the glitz-and-tinsel Hollywood wannabe thing TO's take on it is about). Anyway just wanted to mention that, as noted I'm sure it's in articles or books on the Canadian film business....some cites might already be in the Hollywood North article, or cites that could be refs for this if explored....Skookum1 (talk) 05:09, 1 December 2009 (UTC)
What do the rules say about this? Is it really necessary to mention the main character's first name that often? After all, the running gag of the audience not knowing his first name was part of the fun. --MikeZ (talk) 00:37, 25 March 2011 (UTC)
A number of shows have a list of recurring characters. Given that, it's surprising that such a list and brief descriptions isn't seen here. would adding such a list be appropriate? — Preceding unsigned comment added by 22.214.171.124 (talk) 22:24, 11 January 2012 (UTC)
- This section exists as its own page at List of MacGyver characters. That said, neither that article nor this article seem long enough to justify splitting them. Maybe the two should be merged. 0x0077BE (talk) 00:58, 2 November 2012 (UTC)
Removal of list of problems solved
That was an interesting section, the deletion and redirect to this page is without merit or sense. — Preceding unsigned comment added by 126.96.36.199 (talk) 08:49, 4 March 2012 (UTC) +1 — Preceding unsigned comment added by 188.8.131.52 (talk) 01:37, 9 November 2012 (UTC)
- You can read it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=List_of_problems_solved_by_MacGyver&oldid=258219690 --Pwnagic (talk) 00:59, 1 December 2012 (UTC)
- And still edit it at wikia:macgyver:List of problems solved by MacGyver. :) Matthias M. (talk) 16:59, 23 January 2013 (UTC)
- I completely agree. The list should be reverted, in my opinion. 19:30, 13 October 2014 (UTC) — Preceding unsigned comment added by Beverfar (talk • contribs)
I completely agree that the list of problems solved should be brought back. I am hoping that some Wikipedia user edits them back in, or creates a separate linked page that is an active part of Wikipedia. The title character would do so.