Talk:Maricopa County, Arizona
|WikiProject United States / Arizona / Counties||(Rated Start-class, Low-importance)|
Wondering how to edit this U.S. County Entry?
The WikiProject U.S. Counties standards might help.
Hispanic heritage vs. Race
Starting with the landmark court case of Alvarez vs. Owen in 1931, Hispanic heritage is considered separate from race. Hispanic individuals can be White, Black, American Indian, Asian, or of any other race. It is important that in articles such as this, we not misuse census data to racialize Hispanic heritage. --Node (talk) 17:41, 3 March 2008 (UTC)
- Hispanic "status" is not a racial thing, as far as the Census cares; it's an ethnicity. Look at the text: you can see that Hispanics and Latinos can be any race. Nyttend (talk) 19:42, 3 March 2008 (UTC)
- Notice that directly after the white percentage, there is in parenthesis a percentage of non-Hispanic Whites. This is inappropriate, in my opinion, as non-Hispanic White is a hybrid category of race and ethnicity, and we don't similarly give percentages of non-Hispanic blacks (yes, there are plenty of hispanic blacks) or non-Hispanic Asians and the like. This is not in the original census data as posted by Rambot at any article, so I have removed it. --Node (talk) 21:36, 17 March 2008 (UTC)
This article says "Maricopa County" is bigger than 24 states, I believe this is incorrect? Please fix the problem? Dwilso 21:00, 13 April 2008 (UTC)
- No, it says that its population is greater than the population of 24 states. Nyttend (talk) 21:19, 13 April 2008 (UTC)
- Actually, it is bigger than 16 states not 24, I have no idea where these edits come from. Dwilso 21:54, 13 April 2008 (UTC)
- I can't find a source, but looking at the List of U.S. states by population, the population stated, 3,880,181, would put it between 26th and 27th most populous states. That placement would make the county more populous than 24 states. I know that is original research so it is usable in the article, but I don't know where to find a source for this fact. Jons63 (talk) 23:27, 13 April 2008 (UTC)
- OR is an unpublished synthesis of materials, it is true, but I don't think it's a problem in this case: we simply look at the numbers and determine that 3,880,181 is bigger than the numbers that are listed for 24 different states. As far as the populations themselves, they're sourced from 2007 population estimates by the Census Bureau, which are linked on U.S. state. Nyttend (talk) 00:24, 14 April 2008 (UTC)
I think phoenix should be included in the article, It accounts for over 40% of the counties population, It is clearly notable. thanks. Dwilso 06:07, 24 April 2008 (UTC)
- It is already included in the article multiple times; in fact, the edits that you have made delete some information about the city. Nyttend (talk) 11:55, 24 April 2008 (UTC)
Needs significant improvements for county's population (Very short for the 4th most populated county in the US)
This article about the county needs significant expansion, especially on the demographic section, needs 2010 data. Needs expansion on nearly all sections. If you have a lot of new info on this county, please feel free to add them,UsefulWikipedia (talk) 00:55, 18 December 2012 (UTC)
Hello fellow Wikipedians,
I have just modified one external link on Maricopa County, Arizona. Please take a moment to review my edit. If you have any questions, or need the bot to ignore the links, or the page altogether, please visit this simple FaQ for additional information. I made the following changes:
- Added archive http://www.webcitation.org/5zyspT3Xp?url=http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/04/04001.html to http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/04/04001.html
When you have finished reviewing my changes, you may follow the instructions on the template below to fix any issues with the URLs.
You may set the
|checked=, on this template, to true or failed to let other editors know you reviewed the change. If you find any errors, please use the tools below to fix them or call an editor by setting
|needhelp= to your help request.
- If you have discovered URLs which were erroneously considered dead by the bot, you can report them with this tool.
- If you found an error with any archives or the URLs themselves, you can fix them with this tool.
If you are unable to use these tools, you may set
|needhelp=<your help request> on this template to request help from an experienced user. Please include details about your problem, to help other editors.