- The following discussion is an archived discussion of the proposal. Please do not modify it. Subsequent comments should be made in a new section on the talk page. No further edits should be made to this section.
No consensus to move. Vegaswikian (talk) 06:09, 4 May 2010 (UTC)
MDFMK (EP) → MDFMK (single) — This is a single, not an EP. On this archived page from April 19, 1998, they refer to MDFMK as the title of the "new single". The band also listed it as a single on their page after it was released, as can be seen on this archived page from April 27, 1999. This was previously listed under MDFMK (song), but no song on this disc is titled "MDFMK". Torchiest (talk | contribs) 04:31, 27 April 2010 (UTC) Oppose A single is generally for a specific song, and since there is no song called "MDFMK", it's an EP. I've been told that moving pages to XXXXXXX (single) isn't generally considered OK. On the other hand, I'd support a move to Megalomaniac (KMFDM song), making the page about Megalomaniac Remixes (and the promo), and having MDFMK listed later on as an alternate version of the single.
- Comment MDFMK was the original release on the band's primary label; the other stuff came afterward. Leaving this as an EP will necessitate a big overhaul of a bunch of chronologies, categorizations, and the KMFDM template. This article is currently in the KMFDM albums category, which is plainly wrong. Calling it Megalomaniac (KMFDM song) would also be problematic: how would it be listed in all those things I just mentioned? Would we have to create a brand new group for this one release? Seems like the whole thing would get a lot messier, whereas it was all neat and tidy before. Torchiest (talk | contribs) 11:37, 27 April 2010 (UTC)
- Several sites say Megalomaniac Remixes was released in 1997 here and here, and Amazon says MDFMK was released in 1998 here. MrMoustacheMM (talk) 00:02, 28 April 2010 (UTC)
- Oppose WP:MUSIC says nothing about using "(single)" as a disambiguator and it is generally frowned upon. On the other hand "(EP)" is widely used. While KMFDM may have marketed this as a single—which would be odd, since there is apparently no lead track—this release clearly fits the definition of an EP. —Justin (koavf)❤T☮C☺M☯ 22:16, 27 April 2010 (UTC)
- Since I'm obviously not going to get this moved back, I have a number of issues with it in its current state:
- It has been removed from the singles chronology, and is the only release that is not part of any chronology now.
- It is now incorrectly listed on the discography and the template as a single.
- It is categorized as an album, which it clearly is not, and it makes little sense to create an EP category if there is only one member.
- There are quite a few other KMFDM releases that are similar in size and structure to this release, but that just happen to have the title of a song. Should any of those be re-classified as EPs?
- Since you made the initial move, it would behoove you to do the rest of the work and fix these issues somehow. Torchiest (talk | contribs) 22:59, 27 April 2010 (UTC)
- Comment Just to clarify: if they had named this release "Megalomaniac", it would be a single? It seems like it's just the title that is causing this issue, which is silly. Torchiest (talk | contribs) 23:26, 27 April 2010 (UTC)
- If they had named it Megalomaniac (or Megalomaniac Remixes, which they did), it would be a single, which would be filed under Megalomaniac (KMFDM song) (since the standard is to use (song), not (single)). This is why I suggested the move to Megalomaniac (KMFDM song) and making the page about Megalomaniac Remixes (which was released first, as I showed above). As for where to put it in the chronology, right now it can be put under "Singles" and change the name to "Singles/EPs" (or call it "MDFMK EP" under "Singles", which would show that it's an EP). If the page was moved to Megalomaniac (KMFDM song), it would fit under "Singles" and no mention of "EPs" would be necessary. MrMoustacheMM (talk) 00:02, 28 April 2010 (UTC)
- All fantastic points. I made the move, since I doubt anyone else is going to participate in this conversation. Torchiest (talk | contribs) 03:37, 28 April 2010 (UTC)
- The above discussion is preserved as an archive of the proposal. Please do not modify it. Subsequent comments should be made in a new section on this talk page. No further edits should be made to this section.