- So you're saying that there are some cities which are still communes (comune)? The definition (in English and Romanian) of a city is a loose one, and sometimes communes are referred to as "cities".
- In Romania, there is an official definition of a "city" in the administration laws. A "commune" can be proclaimed "city" (oraş) only after it satisfies some conditions (mainly about public utilities) imposed by the law. IIRC, there are also some differences on the source of the local budget: communes get money from the central budget based on criteria such as population, etc. while cities get their money from local taxes. bogdan ʤjuʃkə | Talk 13:58, 23 July 2005 (UTC)
- Thanks for the information. Just one thing I need to make more precise - when a commune is elevated to the status of a "city" (oraş), does it not automatically become a municipality too.
- The example I'm thinking of here is Voluntari, which used to be a commune but is now a municipality (and by extension a city).
- Is there an official difference between city and municipality? As in, can a commune be declared a "city" while still being a commune (i.e. not yet a municipality)? The stuff about taxes should be included in the article, it's an important fact. Also included should be other differences between communes and municipalities (in terms of administration). Do communes receive their money from the central government or the county government (isn't the county government involved in communal infrastructural projects too)? Ronline 06:42, 26 July 2005 (UTC)
- But, in general, a locality can't really be a city, or town (oraş) if it has less than, say, 10,000 people and is still fairly rural in character. There are a lot of communes which aren't rural villages, but still maintain a fairly rural "feel" to them - as in, they are not urbanised enough to be considered a city. It is for these reasons that, for practical purposes, all localities with municipiu status can be regarded as "towns" or "cities" (urban localities) while all communes are rural localities (doar şi în română le spunem la comune ca "ţară" - adică "Ei stau la ţară". De multe ori şi oraşe ca Huedin, Aleşd, Beiuş sunt menţionate ca aşezări "ţărăneşti" din cauză că nu sunt destul de urbanizate.) Ronline 13:45, 23 July 2005 (UTC)
Communes, Cities and Municipalities
OK, I've looked at that link to the law on this matter, and so this is a summary. There are three types of localities:
- Communes (which are mostly rural and contain villages)
- Cities (which are mostly urban and have a different status to communes)
- Municipalities (larger, more urbanised cities gain this status)
So, some cities can be declared municipalities. You were right. Voluntari is a city (oraş), so it's not a commune, but neither is it a municipality. Therefore, we need a new article about "Cities in Romania" (I think this exists already). We need to leave this article and explain the difference between normal cities and municipality-status cities. As to Ilfov county, I think Buftea is the only municipality in the county. Ronline 06:36, 27 July 2005 (UTC)
Cities or towns?
Isn't the term city abused a bit here? Wouldn't "town" be more appropiate for settelements of, say, less than 50,000? I know the term city is quite stretchy, but i haven't seen "town" used at all here.
This title is misleading - "municipality" in English doesn't mean the same as "municipiu" appears to in Romanian. All municipiu, oras and comune would come under the meaning of the word "municipality" in English. I think the municipiu should be referred to as cities, and the oras as towns. --Kotniski (talk) 13:55, 6 March 2010 (UTC)
File:Fountain-and-cathedral-at-night-in-timisoara-roml206.jpg Nominated for speedy Deletion
An image used in this article, File:Fountain-and-cathedral-at-night-in-timisoara-roml206.jpg, has been nominated for speedy deletion for the following reason: All Wikipedia files with unknown copyright status
Don't panic; you should have time to contest the deletion (although please review deletion guidelines before doing so). The best way to contest this form of deletion is by posting on the image talk page.