|WikiProject Photography||(Rated C-class)|
Just thought I'd also leave this link: http://www.butkus.org/chinon/ebay/chinon_images.htm This guy has a lot of info about various cameras, a lot of them Pentax K mount. Imroy 18:35, 16 December 2005 (UTC)
"Crippled" KAF mount
To use a non-A K mount lens on an *ist series camera all the user has to do is press the AE-lock button to take the meter reading and then press the shutter. I have removed the misleading section from the article that said otherwise.Racklever 17:00, 9 December 2006 (UTC)
I have removed: "While often adequate, in some circumstances this work-around produces problems with metering range, metering accuracy, 3rd party focus screens, and composing shots in changing lighting conditions." If someone can give a reference they are welcome to restore it.Racklever 23:12, 15 September 2007 (UTC)
- I am still waiting for a reference four years later ! Racklever (talk) 15:54, 18 October 2011 (UTC)
KAF mount pin functions
The article states that the first two pins encode the min aperture and the other three the max, but this is not so. I have just created a truth table of all the pin functions and their corresponding F-stop ranges, there does not appear to be a pattern but its hard to tell from a simple truth table. Maybe someone knows more about this? It should be reworded in the article. Nebarnix 09:52, 26 February 2007 (UTC)
This article has become dominated by a medium-sized list of cameras, and a rather long list of lenses. I don't think these add much to the article. Wikipedia is not an indiscriminate collection of information. These lists should be either removed entirely or summarised to something a lot shorter. --Imroy 03:05, 24 March 2007 (UTC)
- There's value in a list of cameras and lenses, but I think it should be in a "List of", not in this article. Matthew Brown (Morven) (T:C) 04:50, 24 March 2007 (UTC)
The way it is now, if you get to the page Category:Photographic lenses, then you see the heading "Pentax lenses". But if you click on that you get "There is one page in this section of this category", and the page is Takumar. That is unfortunate in my opinion - I think this page should also be in that category. That's why I added it, but now it's been removed again. (I know that it has Pentax K mount farther down on the Category:Photographic lenses page, but I still think it should also be under "Pentax lenses".) I'll put it back again unless someone objects. --RenniePet 17:28, 12 September 2007 (UTC)
- My main problem is that the Pentax K mount is not a lens, it's a lens mount. So I feel that it doesn't belong in Category:Pentax lenses. Neither should it be in Category:Photographic lenses, but that cat seems to be a catch-all of miscellaneous lens articles. It should be cleaned up, but that's another issue. If you look at Category:Canon lenses or Category:Nikkor lenses, you'll see that people have created articles for a bunch of lenses from those manufacturers. It doesn't look like people have done the same for any of Pentax's lenses, not even their newer lenses. So the only article in the 'Pentax lenses' cat is to the Takumar article.
- I've added a note to the top of Category:Pentax lenses, linking to both M42 lens mount and this article. Is that a satisfactory compromise? --Imroy 21:33, 12 September 2007 (UTC)
- OK, fine. I stumbled on this situation because I was researching for a page I'm creating, Lenses for SLR and DSLR cameras, and I had no trouble finding links to the Canon and Nikon lenses, but only by accident almost found my way to this page. Thought I'd fix the "problem" but I can see you're right - I found the Canon and Nikon lens mounts because they were listed where they shouldn't have been. --RenniePet 21:42, 12 September 2007 (UTC)
The article points out there are M42 adaptors for K-mount cameras. It would also be nice to mention if there is a way to fit K-mount lenses to modern non-K-mount cameras, such as the Canon EF lens mount or the Nikon F-mount. As I understand it, you would need to attack the K-mount lens with a hacksaw in order to mount it on an EOS or Nikon, but it would be great to find an official source, or an authoritative website, to back this up. -Ashley Pomeroy (talk) 00:08, 7 December 2007 (UTC)
Where to put the M42 lenses?
Since May (and especially during July) a number of IP addresses have been adding to the list of Pentax-K mount lenses. This list now dominates the article and I see little to no purpose for it in an encyclopaedia. This article used to have a shorter list of lenses. I moved it to its own article but it was soon marked for deletion on account of it being unencyclopaedic and arbitrary. It lost and was deleted. The new list in the article is far worse. Not only is it large and inconsistently formatted, but like the old one also unsourced and arbitrary. It's a mess and deserves to be deleted outright.
If the anonymous editor or editors who have been adding items to the list want to help, they could start by cleaning up the formatting, including year and variant information, and finding/providing sources.
As an alternative, might I suggest moving the list to Camerapedia? They're not so strict on sourcing information (at least not yet) and would probably welcome the information. We would then link to the external list from this article. I see that as a better alternative as a long list of lenses just doesn't seem appropriate for an encyclopaedia. --Imroy (talk) 10:16, 19 August 2008 (UTC)
Help: Myself as well as much of the Pentax users in the world have the problem where most of the lenses information is incosistently in existance around the web and out of it. This list is the best link to get information on the Pentax lenses and information about them. You also said that this list deserves to be deleted outright but if you look into M42 lenses and in Nikon lenses you will see thaht such lists exist there and are smaller only because the number of lenses is in fact shorter that those for the Pentax. Why is that Nikon and M42 lenses can have their list in Wikipedia and k mount not? I am open and volunteer to change the formating and structure to whatever Wikipedia accepts and feels appropiate but please do not delete. Thanks DC —Preceding unsigned comment added by 188.8.131.52 (talk) 23:24, 25 August 2008 (UTC)
Here is an (unreliable) source for contact pin assignment on KA-mount lenses.