Talk:Pipe (fluid conveyance)

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
WikiProject Engineering (Rated C-class, Mid-importance)
WikiProject icon This article is within the scope of WikiProject Engineering, a collaborative effort to improve the coverage of engineering on Wikipedia. If you would like to participate, please visit the project page, where you can join the discussion and see a list of open tasks.
C-Class article C  This article has been rated as C-Class on the project's quality scale.
 Mid  This article has been rated as Mid-importance on the project's importance scale.
WikiProject Technology (Rated C-class)
WikiProject icon This article is within the scope of WikiProject Technology, a collaborative effort to improve the coverage of technology on Wikipedia. If you would like to participate, please visit the project page, where you can join the discussion and see a list of open tasks.
C-Class article C  This article has been rated as C-Class on the project's quality scale.
Checklist icon

Use of Fittings[edit]

1. To connect same size, kind and type of pipes.

Types of Fittings used:

Union-used at connections which may have to be opened without disassembling any of the piping or other fittings

Coupling- has internal thread at both ends so thatt they may connect together towo pipes and to end

2. Used to connect two different sizes of pipes

Types of Fittings used:



3. To change the direction of the flow of water

Types of Fittings used

Elbow/Bends-used in both G.I. pipe ad PVC pipe

Tee- used by all pipes
-used if there is chande in two direction

Cross-usually used in drainage system
- used if there is a change of flow in three direction

Wye- also known as Crow Foot. Used for cast-iron pipe

4. Used to stop the flow of water

Types of Fittings used:

Cap-has internal thread

Plug- has external thread

I am an arhitecture student and I want to add some topic.I hope this one would help =P -- 14:10, 19 August 2006 (UTC)

European English and American English[edit]

Having watched countless Hollywood movies, 97 times our of 100, I can understand American English without the need for a translator. This article, however, assuming it is well written in American English, is confusing.

In England a pipe implies conveyance of a fluid while a tube is a geometrical structure (hence water pipe and scaffold tube). Having edited the openining paragraph on this basis, I have noticed that' scaffold pipe' makes sense in American English. I am itching to edit more sense into this article but I have (only) a vague awareness of Wiki policy re this matter.


Well to begin with, Wikipedians certainly recognize that we have a lot of geographical bias in many of the articles, and we try to correct that to make them universal. Often times that means saying something like "in countries A, B, and C, GNUS are considered pretty, while in countries D, E, and F, they are a common cause of death by fright." But it may be harder to draw the line between pipe and tube, because we struggle with that too here in Canada and the USA. I have certainly heard Canadians say that scaffold tube is made from 1.5 NPS pipe, and the phrase "structural tube" is far more common than "structural pipe." But if I try to buy some structural tube, and go to a supplier with an NPS or a DN and a schedule, they usually tell me "you don't want tube; you want pipe." (Me:"Does it meet structural tube standard XYZ?" Supplier:"Yup.") And if I need to buy some copper pipe for home plumbing, and go to the supplier with a small ID or OD and a thin wall thickness, they usually tell me "you don't want pipe; you want tube." And indeed, copper pipe size is specified according to the Copper Tube Size (CTS) system. But then if you talk about a 3.15" OD and .276" wall thing, people say "Oh that's a... wait let me look that up... whaaa?"--Yannick 01:12, 13 October 2006 (UTC)

Pipe Schedules[edit]

"The most commonly used schedules today are 40, 80, and 160. The schedule number is an approximate indicator of the service pressure that the pipe can take. To convert schedule number to pressure, divide the schedule by 1000 and multiply by the allowable stress of the material. The result will be in the same units as the stress value."

I would like some verification of this - I don't believe this is correct. In SCH 40 PVC pipe, the pressure rating varies considerably. Smaller sizes, such as 1/2" SCH 40 have a much higher pressure rating than larger sizes such as 8" SCH 40. H2O 14:36, 3 February 2006 (UTC)
Thanks for pushing me to cite my source. I often ask that of others as well. I double-checked the Piping Handbook, and that is what it says. I added the reference, although I don't really know how to do footnotes yet. I do agree that the schedule definitions are at least as messed up as the NPS definitions, but they were intended to represent a material-dependent pressure rating. I added a warning about the need for engineering calculations.--Yannick 07:03, 4 February 2006 (UTC)
Yannick - I am not familiar with this reference. Perhaps this is true for metal pipe, but I still don't think this works for PVC. I think the paragraph needs more clarification. 1/2" Sch 40 PVC has a pressure rating of 600 psi at 73 F, while 8" Sch 40 PVC only has a pressure rating of 160 psi! In the PVC world (which is what I am most familiar with), we mainly use Pressure Rated pipe (based on Standard Dimensional Ratio), instead of Schedule pipe. (Same OD, but different ID than Schedule pipe). When I get a little time, I will add a section on pressure rated pipe. H2O 18:35, 4 February 2006 (UTC)

I'm not really surprised to hear that the NPS standard is messed up by a factor of 4, or that PVC standards are substantially different. It's a complicated standard with lots of legacy features, and I'm sure I don't even know half of it. This article is still far from a stable polished version, so you should feel perfectly free to insert whatever you know about the topic. I have no experience with PVC pipe, and your help is appreciated.--Yannick 06:29, 5 February 2006 (UTC)

Merge with Tubing (material) ?[edit]

Both this article and Tubing (material) state "The terms 'pipe' and 'tubing' are interchangeable." I propose that they both be merged into one article - either this or Tubing or maybe a new one called, e.g., 'Pipe and Tubing'.

--John Stumbles 10:04, 2 February 2007 (UTC)

Pipe and tubing are almost interchangable, as now stated in 'tubing'. Also, some tubing is square, rectangular and so on. You would be hard pressed to find a square pipe.

K2500 00:10, 10 August 2007 (UTC)

Please note comments above in the #European English and American English section.--Yannick 22:46, 17 September 2007 (UTC)

Polybutylene Pipes[edit]

I was trying to find an article on Polybutylene pipes, which leak after a number of years. There was a class action law suit against the company(s) that manufactured them. I think an article on this is important. I dont know how to make an article anyone else up for it?

I suggest starting a section in this article first, then migrating to a separate, more detailed article if it becomes too big. Bernard S. Jansen 05:15, 17 September 2007 (UTC)

OCTG Oil Country Tubular Goods[edit]

I found the acronym OCTG listed on a description of a manufacturer. I'm not sure if it would be worth mentioning here.-Crunchy Numbers (talk) 16:14, 9 June 2009 (UTC)


The following discussion is an archived discussion of the proposal. Please do not modify it. Subsequent comments should be made in a new section on the talk page. No further edits should be made to this section.

The result of the proposal was not moved. Jafeluv (talk) 07:07, 6 July 2009 (UTC)

The above discussion is preserved as an archive of the proposal. Please do not modify it. Subsequent comments should be made in a new section on this talk page. No further edits should be made to this section.

Unhelpful Disambiguation[edit]

I was looking for information on concrete pipes. Specifically I was looking for information on the technical details of construction, concrete mixes, spinning techniques, evolution, maximum theoretical dimensions, current usages, manufacturers, etc. From even this partial list it is clear that putting all informtion on "pipes" into one article is absurd. The article, should it hope to become encyclopaedic, would become far too big. At present it is of acceptable wiki size only because it is no more than an arbitrary hotchpotch of miscellaneous pieces of information.

As a "holding" page to reference other articles it MAY be useful, but this function is already catered for by the basic serach functionality.

To redirect and attempt to assimilate all information on "pipes" into one article seems to me to be entirely counterproductive. If wiki were to follow such a strategy logically and blindly then it would end up as one vast article covering everything from Aachen to Zygote, with every part hyperlinked to every other part. At that point some bright spark would say: "Hey, we could make it far easier to use this by turning each part into a separate article"!

o why don't we just cut out the middle bit and stop this valueless and purposeless mergeing of articles ... please. LookingGlass (talk) 13:18, 23 November 2009 (UTC)

I agree that this article needs a lot of work and I'm sure that specific types of common pipes could support their own articles. Please start them if you are so inclined. Wizard191 (talk) 15:24, 23 November 2009 (UTC)

polyethylene tubing[edit]

What are the actual OD, ID, and wall dimensions of common 0.5 to 2-inch black plastic "Poly Pipe" polyethylene tubing in the US? In other countries? - (talk) 00:48, 18 August 2010 (UTC)

Pressure charts needed[edit]

Some mention of pressure in psi.-- (talk) 08:36, 22 August 2010 (UTC)

hanger iron[edit]

Some local handymen carry a coil of "hanger iron" aka "pipe strap" -- long, narrow ribbon of relatively soft steel sheet with a row of holes punched down the middle. One breaks off a desired length, wraps it around some loose object, and nails the ends down to wood framing to hold the loose object in position. Recently it appears to be used more around here than baling wire, but not quite as much as duct tape.

Alas, hanger iron and pipe strap are still redlinks to me -- Is there already an article on this material under some other name? Is it really an appropriate material for permanently hanging pipe? -- (talk) 04:33, 13 December 2010 (UTC)


An additional common method for manufacture of metal pipe is 'spiral wound' not mentioned in the article. (talk) 20:48, 11 September 2012 (UTC)

Major ERROR in the definition of pipe in the main article[edit]

in the main article:

[...] In common usage the words pipe and tube are usually interchangeable, but in industry and engineering, the terms are uniquely defined. Depending on the applicable standard to which it is manufactured, pipe is generally specified by a nominal diameter with a constant outside diameter (OD) and a schedule that defines the thickness. Tube is most often specified by the OD and wall thickness, but may be specified by any two of OD, inside diameter (ID), and wall thickness. [...]

Pipe are identified by their nominal INSIDE diameter. It's the outside diam that vary depending of the schedule (wall thickness).

Tube are identified by their nominal OUTSIDE diameter. it's the inside diam/measure that vary depending of the thickness of the wall.

note: Schedule as thickness indicator is only use in piping. — Preceding unsigned comment added by PhilDesl (talkcontribs) 02:46, 5 November 2012 (UTC)