|WikiProject Australia||(Rated List-class, Mid-importance)|
The list was last updated over 3 years ago. The current list should read: 17-Aug-2011 Constituent Name/ Constituent Symbol AGL Energy Ltd AGK; AMP Ltd AMP ; ANZ Banking Group ANZ ; APA Group APA ; APN News & Media Ltd APN ; ASX Limited ASX ; AWE Ltd AWE ; Abacus Property Group ABP ; Adelaide Brighton Ltd ABC ; Alacer Gold Corp. AQG ; Alumina Ltd AWC ; Amcor Ltd AMC ; Ansell Ltd ANN ; Aquarius Platinum (Bermuda) AQP ; Aquila Resources AQA ; Ardent Leisure Ltd AAD ; Aristocrat Leisure Ltd ALL ; Asciano Ltd AIO ; Aston Resources Ltd AZT ; Atlas Iron Limited AGO ; Aurora Oil & Gas Ltd AUT ; Ausdrill Ltd ASL ; Austar United Communications AUN ; Australand Property Group ALZ ; Australian Infrastructure AIX ; BHP Billiton Ltd BHP ; BWP Trust BWP ; Bank of Queensland Ltd BOQ ; Bathurst Resources Limited BTU ; Beach Energy Limited BPT ; Bendigo and Adelaide Bank Limited BEN ; Billabong Intl Ltd BBG ; Bluescope Steel Ltd BSL ; Boart Longyear Limited BLY ; Boral Ltd BLD ; Bow Energy Ltd BOW ; Bradken Ltd BKN ; Brambles Industries Ltd BXB ; CFS Retail Property Trust CFX ; CSL Ltd CSL ; CSR Ltd CSR ; Cabcharge Australia Ltd CAB ; Caltex Australia Ltd CTX ; Campbell Brothers Ltd CPB ; Carsales.com Ltd CRZ ; Challenger Limited CGF ; Charter Hall Group CHC ; Charter Hall Office REIT CQO ; Charter Hall Retail REIT CQR ; Coalspur Mines Ltd CPL ; Coca-Cola Amatil Ltd CCL ; Cochlear Ltd COH ; Commonwealth Bank Australia CBA ; Commonwealth Property Office CPA ; Computershare Ltd CPU ; Connecteast Group CEU ; Crown Limited CWN ; Cudeco Limited CDU ; Dart Energy Limited DTE ; David Jones Ltd DJS ; Dexus Property Group DXS ; Discovery Metals Ltd DML ; Downer EDI Ltd DOW ; Duet Group DUE ; DuluxGroup Ltd DLX ; Eastern Star Gas Limited ESG ; Echo Entertainment Group EGP ; Emeco Holdings EHL ; Energy Resources of Australia ERA ; Energy World Corporation Ltd EWC ; Envestra Ltd ENV ; Extract Resources Ltd EXT ; FKP Property Group FKP ; Fairfax Media Ltd FXJ ; Fleetwood Corp Ltd FWD ; Fletcher Building Ltd FBU ; Flight Centre Ltd FLT ; Fortescue Metals Group FMG ; Foster's Group Ltd FGL ; GPT Group GPT ; GUD Hldgs Ltd GUD ; GWA Group Ltd GWA ; Gindalbie Metals Ltd GBG ; Gloucester Coal GCL ; Goodman Fielder GFF ; Goodman Group GMG ; Graincorp Ltd A GNC ; Gryphon Minerals Ltd GRY ; Gunns Ltd GNS ; Harvey Norman Hldgs Ltd HVN ; Hastings Diversified Utilities Fund HDF ; Henderson Group PLC HGG ; Hills Holdings Limited HIL ; Iluka Resources Ltd ILU ; Incitec Pivot IPL ; Independence Group NL IGO ; Infigen Energy IFN ; Insurance Australia Group Ltd IAG ; Intrepid Mines Limited IAU ; Investa Office Fund IOF ; Invocare Ltd IVC ; Ioof Hldgs Ltd IFL ; Iress Market Technology Ltd IRE ; James Hardie Industries SE JHX ; Jb Hi-Fi JBH ; Kagara Zinc Ltd KZL ; Karoon Gas Australia Limited KAR ; Kingsgate Consolidated Ltd KCN ; Leighton Hldgs Ltd LEI ; Lend Lease Group LLC ; Linc Energy LNC ; Lynas Corporation Limited LYC ; MAP Airports International Ltd MAP ; Macarthur Coal Ltd MCC ; Macmahon Holdings Ltd MAH ; Macquarie Altas Roads Limited MQA ; Macquarie Group Ltd MQG ; Medusa Mining Limited MML ; Mermaid Marine Australia Ltd MRM ; Mesoblast Limited MSB ; Metcash Ltd MTS ; Mineral Resources MIN ; Mirabela Nickel Limited MBN ; Mirvac Group MGR ; Monadelphous Group Ltd MND ; Mount Gibson Iron MGX ; Murchison Metals Ltd MMX ; Myer Holdings Ltd MYR ; NRW Holdings Limited NWH ; National Australia Bank Ltd NAB ; Navitas Limited NVT ; Newcrest Mining Ltd NCM ; News Corporation Ltd NWS ; Nufarm Limited NUF ; OM Holdings Limited OMH ; OZ Minerals Limited OZL ; OceanaGold Corporation - CDI OGC ; Oil Search Ltd OSH ; OneSteel Ltd OST ; Orica Ltd ORI ; Origin Energy Ltd ORG ; Pacific Brands Ltd PBG ; Paladin Energy Ltd. PDN ; PanAust Ltd PNA ; Panoramic Resources Limited PAN ; Perpetual Limited PPT ; Perseus Mining Limited PRU ; Platinum Asset Management Limited PTM ; Primary Health Care Ltd PRY ; QBE Insurance Group Ltd QBE ; QR National Ltd QRN ; Qantas Airways Ltd QAN ; Ramsay Health Care Ltd RHC ; Regis Resources Ltd RRL ; ResMed Inc RMD ; Resolute Mining Ltd RSG ; Rio Tinto Ltd RIO ; SMS Management & Technology Ltd SMX ; SP AUSNET (stapled) SPN ; Sandfire Resources NL SFR ; Santos Ltd STO ; Seek Ltd SEK ; Seven Group Holdings Limited SVW ; Seven West Media Ltd SWM ; Sigma Pharmaceuticals Limited SIP ; Sims Metal Management Ltd SGM ; Singapore Telecommunications Ltd SGT ; Sonic Healthcare Ltd SHL ; Southern Cross Media Group Limited SXL ; Spark Infrastructure Trust SKI ; Spotless Group Ltd SPT ; St Barbara Limited SBM ; Stockland SGP ; Suncorp Group Ltd SUN ; Sundance Resources Limited SDL ; TPG Telecom Ltd TPM ; Tabcorp Hldgs Ltd TAH ; Tatts Group Limited TTS ; Telecom Corporation of New Zealand Limited TEL ; Telstra Corp Ltd TLS ; Ten Network Hldgs TEN ; The Reject Shop Limited TRS ; Toll Hldgs Ltd TOL ; Transfield Services Ltd TSE ; Transpacific Industries Group TPI ; Transurban Group NPV TCL ; Treasury Wine Estates TWE ; UGL Ltd UGL ; Virgin Blue Hldgs Ltd VBA ; Wesfarmers Ltd WES ; Western Areas NL WSA ; Westfield Group WDC ; Westfield Retail Trust WRT ; Westpac Banking Corp WBC ; White Energy Co. Ltd WEC ; Whitehaven Coal Ltd WHC ; Woodside Petroleum Ltd WPL ; Woolworths Ltd WOW ; WorleyParsons Ltd WOR ; Wotif.com Holdings WTF ; — Preceding unsigned comment added by Becks874 (talk • contribs) 01:33, 18 August 2011 (UTC)
How does it work?
Could someone knowledgeable add a description of how the index works? --Surturz 11:03, 3 December 2007 (UTC)
xxx Limited or not
Until today, this list deliberately contained links to company names as listed on the S&P lists, including the word "Limited" if it was there. This was to facilitate automated or semi-automated updates if required (to this, S&P/ASX 50 and any other lists of listed companies that do or could exist such as S&P/ASX 100 or All Ordinaries index). The intent was to have the official name of the company in the list, and expect that if the actual article was named with a simpler form of name, there should be a redirect from the registered name anyway. Today, THE KING "fixed" all the links by removing "Limited" from the link title, breaking several links in the process (AMP and AWB at least).
Gday. No harm intended - the reason i removed limited from all of the titles was
- I had created an article on one of the companies in the list before, and ScottDavis moved it from xxx Limited to xxx.
- I am intending to create a number of articles on companies in this list, and it would be easier to just click the red link instead of create redirect pages. This would then create articles in the form 'xxx' not 'xxx Limited' - and would save having to make more redirects.
In the process of changing this, some links were broken, but i fixed all the ones i saw, and more importantly a number of links that previously linked to nothing, now point to actual articles. This was quite pleasing. If you want to move them back, no worries as this will facilitate semi-automated updates - however it would be worth checking that none of the links are broken on the way back. There are a few that will need redirects. THE KING 13:11, 3 February 2007 (UTC)
- Also can someone provide me with a reference to the policy on naming actual articles? I.e. what is the verdict - limited or no limited? THE KING 13:23, 3 February 2007 (UTC)
(after edit conflict, but was looking for the answer anyway :-) )
- Wikipedia:Naming conventions (companies) says to use the form of name used by the company for the article. A number of company articles with "Limited" were also named that way by me after negotiation with Reflex Reaction who was enforcing the "don't use Limited" part of that convention at one stage. Sorry if I came out strong above - I was caught by surprise while I was making more redirects where needed, prompted by our discussion the other day. So now we need to work to agree on the "right" solution. In either case, I believe there should be a redirect from the other form of article name, just like town articles have redirects from <town> to <Town, State>.
- My reasoning is that this is a list of companies, and the official company name contains "Limited" in many cases. Most of the articles are primarily about businesses operated by the company. I tried to do the minimum possible to the company names from the S&P website to make the list. Having done it automatically meant that capitalisation was dodgy for a few names, and there are some with strange punctuation in the list. --Scott Davis Talk 13:46, 3 February 2007 (UTC)
- I think I've gone more than an hour past bedtime making sure that every link in this version with links not using "Limited" (current at the time I started checking) that is not to a dab page now has a corresponding link in this version with links using "Limited" (the most recent version I edited). --Scott Davis Talk 15:21, 3 February 2007 (UTC)
- I have reverted to the version with "Limited" in most links. A number of the extra articles linked without it were dab pages, or different articles (examples include that Alumina is a chemical, Seven Network is a business owned by a subsidiary of Seven Network Limited). I'll try to fix any punctuation and case oddities that I noticed last night. Thanks for helping to improve the coverage of these companies. --Scott Davis Talk 06:25, 4 February 2007 (UTC)
- Thanks Scott, good outcome. THE KING 01:35, 5 February 2007 (UTC)