Talk:SUSE Linux distributions
|WikiProject Linux||(Rated Start-class, High-importance)|
I think its much improved for the results when you type "SUSE" into Wikipedia but most of this article reads like a poor translation from German it needs major clean-up. —Preceding unsigned comment added by 188.8.131.52 (talk) 11:11, 16 September 2010 (UTC)
I have created the article entitled SUSE Linux Distibutions in order to provide an up to date resource for SUSE linux. I am a firm advocator for SUSE and hope that the general wikipedian public agrees on this article becoming the proper article for SUSE Linux. As of now I am on SUSE IRC channels trying to get professionals to clean up this article. To vote on whether this should be main page leave a yes or no comment under this comment --H a m m o 09:47, 25 October 2006 (UTC)
- I think you've mis-titled the article with a capital "D". Besides that, I don't understand what you mean by "this article becoming the proper article for SUSE Linux". Are you suggesting that SUSE Linux be deleted and replaced with the sub-topic of "distributions"? That's a bad idea. If you want to improve SUSE Linux, then improve that existing article. Or maybe I don't understand your goals here. --Ds13 15:44, 25 October 2006 (UTC)
- I don't think you understand that technically, SUSE Linux doesn't exist anymore. It is split up into other distributions. There is a product Novell sells caleld SUSE Linux, but as it acknowledges on the webpage, it is just a boxed copy of openSUSE. So if you can come up with a better solution! Also, this will make it easier to maintain information for each version more easily. Remember, every SUSE linux distro is very, alike, with few minor differences. There is no reason for one centralised place for all these SUSE articles, --H a m m o 08:24, 27 October 2006 (UTC)
Fair use rationale for Image:SuSE logo.svg
Image:SuSE logo.svg is being used on this article. I notice the image page specifies that the image is being used under fair use but there is no explanation or rationale as to why its use in this Wikipedia article constitutes fair use. In addition to the boilerplate fair use template, you must also write out on the image description page a specific explanation or rationale for why using this image in each article is consistent with fair use.
Please go to the image description page and edit it to include a fair use rationale. Using one of the templates at Wikipedia:Fair use rationale guideline is an easy way to insure that your image is in compliance with Wikipedia policy, but remember that you must complete the template. Do not simply insert a blank template on an image page.
If there is other fair use media, consider checking that you have specified the fair use rationale on the other images used on this page. Note that any fair use images uploaded after 4 May, 2006, and lacking such an explanation will be deleted one week after they have been uploaded, as described on criteria for speedy deletion. If you have any questions please ask them at the Media copyright questions page. Thank you.
- Fixed this in the obvious way. Thanks for nuthin', bot. — (talk) 17:58, 28 November 2007 (UTC)
There are already articles for:
- SUSE Linux distributions Provides a general overview of the SuSE Linux family of products/
- SUSE Linux Enterprise Server The commercial server version of SuSE Linux.
- SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop The commercial desktop version of SuSE Linux
- openSUSE The community distribution from which SLES & SLED is derived.
I just don't see under where SUSE Linux falls under. It is redundant, confusing and un-needed.
I also propose, and volunteer to, expand the SuSE Linux Distributions article as some details are missing. E.g. SuSE Linux Retail Solution (SLRS) runs on many many retail/POS systems at many large retailers (IBM prefers SLRS as their solution for IBM POS hardware), etc. I think that's worthy of a mention. —Preceding unsigned comment added by 184.108.40.206 (talk) 21:51, 10 May 2008 (UTC)
I removed this unreferenced claim, put here an an example of how not to write an encyclopaedia!: "There is an unofficial rumour that the name is a tribute to the German computer pioneer Konrad Zuse" Widefox (talk) 10:10, 14 August 2008 (UTC)
Image copyright problem with Image:OpenSUSE-logo.svg
The image Image:OpenSUSE-logo.svg is used in this article under a claim of fair use, but it does not have an adequate explanation for why it meets the requirements for such images when used here. In particular, for each page the image is used on, it must have an explanation linking to that page which explains why it needs to be used on that page. Please check
- That there is a non-free use rationale on the image's description page for the use in this article.
- That this article is linked to from the image description page.
In my opinion, sentences like: "It is Novell's goal to market openSUSE as the best, easiest distribution for all users", while might be true, they provide no information (which distribution does not have this goal?) and are clearly non encyclopedic. They should be deleted.220.127.116.11 (talk) 00:32, 14 December 2008 (UTC)
- Agreed. Also, I tried SuSE in 1999 and it didn't work. It is an inferior product and I lost money for no use. --18.104.22.168 (talk) 20:24, 18 April 2010 (UTC)
- YYYY-MM-DD = ISO standard
- MM/DD/YYYY = US format
- DD.MM.YYYY = German format
- DD-MM-YYYY = articles date format, probably nothing common on earth...
File:Suse logo.svg Nominated for Deletion
|An image used in this article, File:Suse logo.svg, has been nominated for deletion at Wikimedia Commons in the following category: Deletion requests December 2011
Don't panic; a discussion will now take place over on Commons about whether to remove the file. This gives you an opportunity to contest the deletion, although please review Commons guidelines before doing so.
"no" German page
Hello fellow Wikipedians,
I have just modified one external link on SUSE Linux distributions. Please take a moment to review my edit. If you have any questions, or need the bot to ignore the links, or the page altogether, please visit this simple FaQ for additional information. I made the following changes:
- Added archive http://web.archive.org/web/20061108062509/http://www.novell.com:80/linux/demos/desktop.html to http://www.novell.com/linux/demos/desktop.html
When you have finished reviewing my changes, please set the checked parameter below to true or failed to let others know (documentation at
You may set the
|checked=, on this template, to true or failed to let other editors know you reviewed the change. If you find any errors, please use the tools below to fix them or call an editor by setting
|needhelp= to your help request.
- If you have discovered URLs which were erroneously considered dead by the bot, you can report them with this tool.
- If you found an error with any archives or the URLs themselves, you can fix them with this tool.
If you are unable to use these tools, you may set
|needhelp=<your help request> on this template to request help from an experienced user. Please include details about your problem, to help other editors.